Future Quadio releases?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope very much to see one of the six unreleased quads* that have been confirmed to be in the WEA vault by @ForagingRhino .

Apart from the five 'exclusive to Europe' Quadradiscs , which i think would make a great selling package...

I would love to have *Foghat Energised or *Joni Mitchell Miles Of Aisles... in the next package or at least within the year...and if Rod should finally agree...then for certain :
*Rod Stewart Atlantic Crossing .

Or at least one of the other three of six unreleased :

*James Taylor In The Pocket
*J Geils Band Bloodshot
*Dionne Warwick Track Of The Cat

😊

I just noticed that the alice cooper title is out of stock on rhino's website.
I held off on that one because i'm not a huge alice cooper fan but, I went ahead and grabbed a remaining copy on Amazon for $22. After streaming the album I found that it was pretty good.
I may also get the America and J. Giles titles as well. None of these are bands that I really normally listen to but I really enjoy the quad presentation.
I took a chance on Gordon Lightfoot and loved it.

I just noticed that the alice cooper title is out of stock on rhino's website.
I held off on that one because i'm not a huge alice cooper fan but, I went ahead and grabbed a remaining copy on Amazon for $22. After streaming the album I found that it was pretty good.
I may also get the America and J. Giles titles as well. None of these are bands that I really normally listen to but I really enjoy the quad presentation.
I took a chance on Gordon Lightfoot and loved it.
I like the America one, but it as disappointed in the mix. Not Rhino's fault on that. It's the original. But a song like Tin Man, a big hit for them, has virtually nothing happening in the rear channels.

Welcome to the group, aoxomoxoa! What I have found to be true, along with many others in this forum, is that Rhino has done a fantastic job with their QUADIO series. So far, ALL of their releases have had multiple performance and sonic "surprises" and thus I can comfortably recommend each and every one of them regardless of your taste of music genre. Continue to watch this forum for title and release date info. (the next batch of 4 QUADIOS dropps in May 2024) as many times members will also post 10% discount codes for purchase through the RHINO store which basically covers the cost of postage in the United States. Cheers!

I like the America one, but it as disappointed in the mix. Not Rhino's fault on that. It's the original. But a song like Tin Man, a big hit for them, has virtually nothing happening in the rear channels.

I agree Tin Man isn't a quad showcase, but there's more than enough in the rears to make it satisfying for me:

tinman.jpg

When the song starts, it's only drums, bass, and one acoustic guitar - keeping in mind that this is a soft-rock trio and not side two of Tales from Topographic Oceans, there isn't much you could push to the rears without destroying the cohesion of the performance.

To me this is a considered mix, that uses the same technique that Greg Penny talked about in doing the Elton John Atmos mixes - start small and intimate and expand in size and scope as the song progresses to enhance the dramatic impact as it nears its conclusion. In the case of Tin Man, you get the echoed bell hits in the choruses as the first sign of rear channel activity, and then the backing vocals increasing in volume and intensity (as you can see from the waveforms) as the song progresses - by the end there are two different backing vocal melodies dueling in the rear speakers.

One suggestion I would make to anyone with the capability is that this quad transfer seems to be a flat transfer so compared to the more familiar stereo mix it has a little bit more bass and a little bit less treble. If you really want to make it sing (no pun intended) put in a bass shelf that takes out about 2dB at 60Hz, and then a wide boost of just 1-1.5dB around 8kHz. This really allows the textures of the vocal harmonies and the sparkle of the acoustic guitars - the two fortes of this group in my opinion - to really come to the fore, instead of being slightly obscured by the bass guitar as they are off the disc.

I always liked the CD-4 of Tin Man and used it as a demo back in the day, as the 'Miniature' starts out all around, then the song moves to the fronts, like a stereo track, only to have the rears jump in (as you can see in steelydave's wav screenshot above) which really shows the difference between listening in stereo and quad when the background vocals come from the rears on their own. To me it's good stuff! Remember this is a vintage QUAD mix and not a surround/atmos/5.1 Immersive mix. There really is a difference, but you had to be there! :SG

It's nice the Rhino and the team likely have the next two or three installments already decided on what they would like to have out on a Quadio set of discs. For the really rare ones it just comes down to the approvals and when they come in.

So cryin' won't help you, and prayin' won't do you no good! :LOL:

I always liked the CD-4 of Tin Man and used it as a demo back in the day, as the 'Miniature' starts out all around, then the song moves to the fronts, like a stereo track, only to have the rears jump in (as you can see in steelydave's wav screenshot above) which really shows the difference between listening in stereo and quad when the background vocals come from the rears on their own. To me it's good stuff! Remember this is a vintage QUAD mix and not a surround/atmos/5.1 Immersive mix. There really is a difference, but you had to be there! :SG
And that drives me crazy which is why I remixed it in DeMix Pro. :eek: :ROFLMAO:

Back