Jeff Beck's "Wired"....now available as multi-channel hybrid SACD from Japan Sony

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, wow,wow. Talk about discrete. This is the disc that will help all confused as to the difference between ambient and discrete. You will notice this in the left rear. The left rear will drop to 0db for guitar and keyboard solo. This freaked me out on first track as my amp meter went to zero, I have never seen this on a surround disc, and then BAM, here comes Beck's blistering guitar. Some tunes he is center. I think somebody above said there was a weak center output, not my experience. This definitely has dumped someone off my top 5 list. If you think AP's stereo SACD is good enough than it will be your loss, no comparison.

thanks for the review Markie, sounds AMAZEBALLS...!!! :yikes

View attachment 27643

Plus a 16 year family tree. As always the Japanese packaging is stellar, with iron on patch, poster, Japanese liner notes. The disc is gold glitter. The slipcase is not gatefold with Hybrid SACD, multichannel 5.1.
Looking forward to a listen but watching World Series at moment. There is no doubt that it will sound fantastic.

drool, drool... :p

imho this or the Chicago Quadio kind of presentation is how more Quad reissues should be handled - like the treasures they are.

Is there ANYWHERE I can get this at a "sensible" price????

Unfortunately of all the internet sites I've visited ImportCD in California has the best price but with International shipping/handling fees it may not be the 'bargain' you anticipated. My advice, it IS a limited edition and unless you want to wait until it's OOP and outrageously MORE costly, I'd bite the bullet and order it NOW!

http://www.importcds.com/wired-sacd-hybrid/4547366270730

Unfortunately of all the internet sites I've visited ImportCD in California has the best price but with International shipping/handling fees it may not be the 'bargain' you anticipated. My advice, it IS a limited edition and unless you want to wait until it's OOP and outrageously MORE costly, I'd bite the bullet and order it NOW!

http://www.importcds.com/wired-sacd-hybrid/4547366270730

But there is always that possibility of it being re~released a year or so from now in plain packaging at half the current retail price [much like those supposedly limited edition SHM~SACDs].

Is there ANYWHERE I can get this at a "sensible" price????

This is a good price! The quad tapes were not in good enough condition originally, and here they are from Japan in fine enough shape (must be a really good copy)

$50s are the new $20s didn't get the memo?

Deep Discount also comes in around the same price for the next day. Their price is $55.61 but they currently have a 10% off all orders sale (promo code "SNOW") and they also do free shipping for any order over $25. So that makes their price $50. The sale ends at noon CT tomorrow (11/4.)

But there is always that possibility of it being re~released a year or so from now in plain packaging at half the current retail price [much like those supposedly limited edition SHM~SACDs].

always a possibility of course but can't see it personally, hasn't happened with the other three SACDs in this series.. I would say it's better to get this set now before it sells out and run the risk of missing out and forking out even more on the aftermarket.. noticed CD Japan said they had only 2 left in stock from their initial allocation when I checked this morning..

Wishful thinking Ralphie, not one of the 7" package SACD disc releases have been re released in jewel cases as of this writing. There are two that you don't want to get in the 7" package Yes, Yesshows and Big Generator, both stereo and almost un listenable they sound so awful. The RBCD's are way better of those two.

This is a good price! The quad tapes were not in good enough condition originally, and here they are from Japan in fine enough shape (must be a really good copy)

$50s are the new $20s didn't get the memo?

two wrongs don't make a right but if you look at it from the angle that if this Quad had hypothetically been given the SACD treatment by Sony 15 years ago, copies on the aftermarket now would more than likely exceed $50 (I'm thinking of things like 3+3, Ship Ahoy, etc.. and I believe this title would have been much more sought after than either of those, so $50 at this stage would have been a potential bargain).. just hypothesising :eek:

hope so Ralpheeo..

followed by the complete Quadraphonic back catalogues of Santana, Edgar & Johnny Winter, Rick Derringer, Aerosmith, Dave Mason, Billy Joel, Bob Dylan, Reo Speedwagon, Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane, Jefferson Starship, Sly & His Family Johnny Cash, Charlie Rich, Lynn Anderson, Tammy Wynette,
I stripped your list to my liking Adam. I do believe that Rough and Ready will be next, on the Beck, Bogert, Appice Live Quad disc they show it in the Japanese advertising. It just has to be next. When it gets released I will have to buy a 5.1 set up for my car cuz I need to listen to Rough And Ready all the time.

Wishful thinking Ralphie, not one of the 7" package SACD disc releases have been re released in jewel cases as of this writing. There are two that you don't want to get in the 7" package Yes, Yesshows and Big Generator, both stereo and almost un listenable they sound so awful. The RBCD's are way better of those two.

I was just trying to help out the Kap who wants WIRED at a less expensive price point. Mine is en route from CDJapan with ALL the bells and whistles and as you know, I'm too cheap when it comes to expedited shipping. But yet I'll spend $1200 for a 2 meter pair of Shunyata Research RCA interconnects.

And YES, I did avoid those Japanese YES remasters (Stereo SACD) as I read they were dreadful.

BTW, Cubs vs. the Indians.....one of THE best games EVER!

I was just trying to help out the Kap who wants WIRED at a less expensive price point. Mine is en route from CDJapan with ALL the bells and whistles and as you know, I'm too cheap when it comes to expedited shipping. But yet I'll spend $1200 for a 2 meter pair of Shunyata Research RCA interconnects.

And YES, I did avoid those Japanese YES remasters (Stereo SACD) as I read they were dreadful.

I know that feeling. In my opinion, for others, don't buy two weird Prog Rock discs and buy one really good Jeff Beck. One Jeff Beck is better than one Tales From Topographic Oceans.

Every disc I have ever received from CDJapan is stellar, including shipping packaging. With the jewel cases they are a harder plastic and a little bit shinier. I have never received a bent cardboard mini LP or a cracked jewel case. The last 2 of 5 Audio Fidelity discs I received had cracked jewel cases but that would likely be Amazon's fault. I love CDJapan living in Calif helps as I am just across the Pacific pond.

hope so Ralpheeo..

followed by the complete Quadraphonic back catalogues of Santana, Edgar & Johnny Winter, Rick Derringer, Aerosmith, Dave Mason, Billy Joel, Bob Dylan, Reo Speedwagon, Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane, Jefferson Starship, Sly & His Family Johnny Cash, Charlie Rich, Lynn Anderson, Tammy Wynette,

I stripped your list to my liking Adam. I do believe that Rough and Ready will be next, on the Beck, Bogert, Appice Live Quad disc they show it in the Japanese advertising. It just has to be next. When it gets released I will have to buy a 5.1 set up for my car cuz I need to listen to Rough And Ready all the time.

Yes I noticed the BBA Live pic & info in the JP ad too Markie, maybe that'll be next for the SACD treatment.. it's supposed to have a Quad mix unreleased or stealth SQ encode in Japan or something iirc..?

Bit unfortunate you dropped all the Philadelphia International artists (O'Jays, MFSB, Billy Paul) those are some of the absolute best Quads I've ever heard.. just stunning.. the 2 x Janis Ian's are surprisingly good too.. plus the Poco's are incredible really, Seven & Cantamos are among many seriously good Quads by bands I was never very fussed about, the mixes elevate the material to new heights imho :eek:

Yes I noticed the BBA Live pic & info in the JP ad too Markie, maybe that'll be next for the SACD treatment.. it's supposed to have a Quad mix unreleased or stealth SQ encode in Japan or something iirc..?

Bit unfortunate you dropped all the Philadelphia International artists (O'Jays, MFSB, Billy Paul) those are some of the absolute best Quads I've ever heard.. just stunning.. the 2 x Janis Ian's are surprisingly good too.. plus the Poco's are incredible really, Seven & Cantamos are among many seriously good Quads by bands I was never very fussed about, the mixes elevate the material to new heights imho :eek:

So instead of ALL this quadio chatter, Adam, when are you going to JUMPSTART the FREDBLUE BOUTIQUE QUADIO LABEL? Jeez!:violin

EACH and EVERY release will come with a small box of chocolate Truffles.

Ok now that this is shipped and some even have their copy - it's time for the next quad 4.0 SACD announcement from Sony or Audio Fidelity, or maybe Analogue Priductions has another H. Hancock title that they were thinking about. Or does Rhino / Warner have a Christmas surprise in store for us.

I don't care where it comes from I just want my vintage quad.

Last edited:
Thank you all...

I'm guessing I'll regret this but this is way too expensive for me; and although I'd love to order it, I'll use my brain for once and restrain my Quad impulse to get this....especially since I've been in between jobs since March and NOTHING has come up (Spain's unemployment rate is SKY HIGH!)...

Saludos,
Alberto

Man, you've got to move! Bring the little woman back to Miami or Philly. I find that with just a few more dinners per month of hot dogs, that new disc can be yours.....:D John

QUOTE=kap'n krunch;316939]Thank you all...

I'm guessing I'll regret this but this is way too expensive for me; and although I'd love to order it, I'll use my brain for once and restrain my Quad impulse to get this....especially since I've been in between jobs since March and NOTHING has come up (Spain's unemployment rate is SKY HIGH!)...

Saludos,
Alberto[/QUOTE]

I know what it's like to be living on the edge. Things do get better if you try and keep trying.

I need to sell some of my older music stuff, and that helps offset the new purchases. If I can sell a $35 item and then put some cash with it, I don't feel so bad about it.

Back