MUSIC ONLY! What's Your Latest Blu-Ray or Blu-Ray-A, Concert or Music-Related?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tumbleweed Connection/Madman Across The Water/Mick Ronson/mindblowing :sun

I can't think of another surround mix (post the Quad era) with such crazy panning all round the room as Greg Penny used on that track! The funny thing is, given the song and the arrangement itself, it works so brilliantly and isn't just the gimmick it's sometimes seen as being.

Really cannot overestimate how criminally overdue those unreleased 5.1's of EJ's other 70's albums (Blue Moves, Rock Of The Westies, Caribou, Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player) that Greg Penny created surround mixes for 10 years ago.. can you imagine things like "One Horse Town", "I've Seen The Saucers", "Street Kids", "Have Mercy On The Criminal" in surround? I have! ..and then there's the Hits on all those (a veritable Greatest Hits in itself,. Daniel, Crocodile Rock, The Bitch Is Back, Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me, Island Girl, Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word..) and then the bonus tracks (Don't Go Breaking My Heart.. Step Into Christmas.. Pinball Wizard..) a literal embarrassment of riches all sat there in surround in the can gathering dust. COME ON UNIVERSAL! GET THEM OUT!! :D

I don't really want to wade in to this debate, but looking at waveforms zoomed out to the point that you're looking at a whole song or whole album tell you very little about anything.

Regarding the dynamic range, the 5.1 mixes on the EJ SACDs aren't great, or terrible, they're just pretty good. I don't think I've seen a pop or rock album with a DR rating higher than 15 or 16 at the very most, so the EJ SACD's aren't bad by comparison - 11 in relation to 15 is like a 7 out of 10, which I think is about right.

There are so many other things going for the EJ SACDs, including the songwriting, musicianship, audio fidelity, and surround mixing that it's just churlish to insinuate that they're somehow 'bad' because one small step of the process is a 7/10 instead of a 10/10.

image.jpg

Yessssssss

Mozart - Serenade in B flat major - KV 361 "Gran Partita" - Fantasia in F minor KV 608

Oboes in front left - Clarinets in front right - Basset Horns on side left - Bassoons on side right - double bass and horns in rear left/right -- Need I say more?

I will anyway :) This serenade has been recorded many times, but I don't know of a surround treatment like this. The familiar Adagio might make you cry with the interplay between the oboe and clarinet. In the notes the artists commented they had a more intimate interpretation of the music by sitting in a circle while recording. The whole disc is a treat.
I ordered this one because of your post and it arrived today. I'm just starting to collect classical music. Usually it is the Strings that are dominating the performance. This is all Winds (there is a double bass) and it is wonderful to hear that group of instruments in a leading role. And of course it's Tacet Surround. Thanks sukothai!

I am surprised my the mix on this one. Quite discrete with the guitars in rears at times (a bit Steven Wilsonish) - great concert too. DTS-HDMA.

I got this after hearing that AC/DC may not perform together again with there current line-up due to illness of Malcom Young.

folder.jpg

I am surprised my the mix on this one. Quite discrete with the guitars in rears at times (a bit Steven Wilsonish) - great concert too. DTS-HDMA.

I got this after hearing that AC/DC may not perform together again with there current line-up due to illness of Malcom Young.

View attachment 13903

I saw them on the High Voltage tour of the UK, from the side of a stage. I'd never heard them before, they were absolutely incredible, it was one of those rare occasions when you see a band and think they are going to be massive. BTW I was told that the gear is on the way to USA/Canada for recording, and a tour still possible, we can but hope that Malcolm Young will be well enough to do something.

View attachment 13903

Shame Malcom's guitar is so low compared to Angus. Putting one guitar in each rear channel is brilliant though, that is the way it should be! Some of the Metallica Blu Rays are like that.

I just received the BD about an hour ago. If you are asking how the group sounds, they had many hit singles that you should be familiar with including Africa, Hold The Line, I'll Supply The Love, Rosanna, I'll Be Over You, I Won't Hold You Back & Pamela. Steve Lukather is an excellent underrated guitarist and the music is classic rock, pop rock, easy listening and some of their songs tend toward hard rock with blues & jazz elements.

Last edited:
Have just bought home the "The Dukes of September - (Donald Fagen, Michael McDonald and Boz Scaggs) Live at Lincoln Center" Blu-Ray. An impressive mixed set list of covers and the tunes they're renowned for that gets better as it goes.

The mix is fairly average and soft, a bit of crowd noise and 'room' sound. A nice front balance between instruments but fairly unspectacular. One thing that did make me wince was the live autotune on a lot of the vocals, especially evident on Fagen's "Peg". A damn shame, one of my favourite Dan tunes. Musically, Jon Herrington does a hell of a job on the guitar parts.

Warning : concert may contain the whitest, most middle-aged audience I've seen in hi-res. :eek:

Genesis- SEBTP BluRay Audio....

It autoplays on 2.0...very silly!!!

But it somehow sounds better than the SACD and DTS 96/24..
Was this mixed to DSD or PCM???

Deep Purple-Made In Japan......I listened to a chunk of it today and imho it's pretty good.

Last edited:
Soundgarden; Superunkown. This is literally the most horrendous sounding Blu Ray I have ever heard. I now have over 100 and this is an abomination. I want to complain to those involved but can't find their emails? TERRIBLE compressed sound. NO dynamics.

a gem i haven't seen mentioned...unless i missed it somewhere! AQ is outstanding...

Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott's

Back