MUSIC ONLY! What's Your Latest Blu-Ray or Blu-Ray-A, Concert or Music-Related?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Elmer. I thought I saw the Eagle Vision logo on the thing. As for Eagle Vision, the best surround Hi-Rez video I own is probably the very first one I ever bought, the Eagles Farewell Tour I HD-DVD. It's probably the only reason I still have an HD-DVD player around. That surround mix is the benchmark to which all others must be judged. Elliot Schiener, of course! :)

you'll laugh Jon - I did the exact same thing - instead of binning my HD-DVD player ,
I kept it specifically for the Eagles Farewell Tour I disc - the Scheiner mix is sublime

Celebration Day deluxe edition - Led Zeppelin 2 CD/Blu-Ray/DVD-V Don't ask. street date 11/19.
514z7R7tyVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

BD audio options are 5.1 DTS-HD MA & PCM Stereo. Stereo is the default!?! Video and audio quality are very good, albeit not much happening in the rears, just applesauce, er applause. The DVD is a full dress rehearsal. I'm told the deluxe is the only way to obtain that. If the BD-A is a different mix, I'll get it. Otherwise, I won't bother.

Hi Linda, nice LZ set. What are the audio options on the BD? Is it any different from the BDA that is announced? Thanks.

Paul McCartney - Live Kisses - tremendous players/incredible DTS HD MA sound and production/very entertaining/subtle but excellent use of the surrounds as is befitting of the music.

Celebration Day - Zeppelin (standalone Blu-Ray Audio jobby).

Comes in a very pretty blu-tinted SACD/super jewel case.. though I believe the surround mix is just applause in the rears.

I may leave it sealed and buy the BD/CD/DVD Deluxe package and watch all that instead.

harrumph :(

Is jobby a technical term?

Also, I assume harrumph is either a term of endearment or a body part, as in "hey, nice harrumph!"

Celebration Day - Zeppelin (standalone Blu-Ray Audio jobby).

Comes in a very pretty blu-tinted SACD/super jewel case.. though I believe the surround mix is just applause in the rears.

I may leave it sealed and buy the BD/CD/DVD Deluxe package and watch all that instead.

harrumph :(

Ordered the Neil Young Psychedelic Pill disc but it's not arrived yet - I had hoped to have it for the 4 day weekend but I guess that's not in the cards.

Chico & Rita - Animated BD dtshd MA 5.1
DVsqqVlP6zyDwt_1_l.jpg
Chico And Rita is a unique, animated movie musical about 2 star crossed lovers falling out in and out of love over a period of 40 years starting out in prerevolution Cuba and moving onto NYC and finally Las Vegas. While the animation is quite beatiful (2D and handdrawn), the real star here is the music. The movie incorporates many of the stallwarts of the day (basically anyone who was involved in the whole Afro/Cuban jazz scene - Thelonius Monk, Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Tito Puente, Chacho Valdes, Woody Hermann, etc. Their animated characters are rendered lovingly and quite cleverly too. The music itself is performed and arranged by Bebo Valdes who is a very well regarded band leader in the traditonal Cuban music scene. The 5.1 mix is conservative but the sound fidelity and performances are all top notch. This is a real treat for anyone like myself with a jones for latin jazz. I should note that the movie contains adult themes and occassional nudity - nothing overly purient but probably not for the pruddish. In spanish with subtitles but after one viewing they won't be necessary.

I picked up the special edition BD/DVD/CD at Amazon for $15.99 - a bargain at twice the price (y)

These are the last 4 concerts I got...

Depeche Mode: Tour of the Universe, Live in Barcelona
The Moody Blues: Lovely to See You, Live
Peter Gabriel: New Blood - Live in London
David Gilmour: Remember That Night

2 Christmas presents from 2L and both perfect for a glass of wine by the fire on a cold winter night;

Quiet Winter Night: An Acoustic Jazz Project - Hoff Ensemble (Grammy Nominee for best Surround) BD Audio - lovely, understated acoustic jazz with some vocals (in Norwegian) -doesn't matter - still lovely and in 24/192 5.1 - stunning clarity and presence!
2L_quiet_winter_night_jazz_nordic_morten_matej_isak.jpg

Piano Improvisations - Ola Gjielo BD Audio & SACD combo. Very George Winston like - a few tracks have layers of 2 and 3 pianos - they populate the soundfield quite remarkably without being overdone.
piano-improvisations-ola-gjeilo-cd-cover.jpg

I'm quite impressed with 2L - the nomination of Morton Lyndberg for Surround mixing and production is as well deserving as SW (I still prefer SW but this is pretty close). These titles are definitely worth checking out.

Metallica - Quebec Magnetic
Quebec-Magnetic.jpg

Doors - Live '68
1351162197_500.jpg

Steven Wilson - Get all You Deserve
large3137.jpg

Time to crack open and digest over the New Year!

2 Christmas presents from 2L and both perfect for a glass of wine by the fire on a cold winter night;

Quiet Winter Night: An Acoustic Jazz Project - Hoff Ensemble (Grammy Nominee for best Surround) BD Audio - lovely, understated acoustic jazz with some vocals (in Norwegian) -doesn't matter - still lovely and in 24/192 5.1 - stunning clarity and presence!
View attachment 8740

Piano Improvisations - Ola Gjielo BD Audio & SACD combo. Very George Winston like - a few tracks have layers of 2 and 3 pianos - they populate the soundfield quite remarkably without being overdone.
View attachment 8741

I'm quite impressed with 2L - the nomination of Morton Lyndberg for Surround mixing and production is as well deserving as SW (I still prefer SW but this is pretty close). These titles are definitely worth checking out.

I very much second the Quiet Winter Night disc - beautiful music in beautiful sound quality and very good (descrete) 5.1-mix. I agree that SW and 2L are the two most prolific surround sound producers for the last years.

Back