MUSIC ONLY! What's Your Latest Blu-Ray or Blu-Ray-A, Concert or Music-Related?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just ordered this box, the Pixies Minotaur Deluxe Edition. I passed on it when it came out in 2009 because it was too expensive. I found it more reasonably priced today and pulled the trigger, primarily for the BD with all the albums in 5.1.

PIXIESMINOTAURDELUXE.jpg

Paul Simon - Live In NYC
Steven Wilson - Get All You Deserve
The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour
Chris Thiele, Yo Yo Ma, Stuart Duncan, Edgar Meyer - The Goat Rodeo Sessions
Pat Metheny - The Orchestrion Project Live

Great show, great band, great songs - 2.0 PCM only on BD? Very disappointing! (n)

I agree. This is a bad trend from Eagle Vision. The CSN disc was stereo only, and now this one as well. One should expect to find a 5.1 audio track on a Blu-Ray disc. Doesn't have to be DTS-HD Master Audio, 5.1 PCM is fine. It's very disappointing to play a concert Blu-Ray and find it to be only a 2.0 soundtrack.

These guys think they're so big that suckers like us will buy it anyway. Sadly, they're right.

I agree. This is a bad trend from Eagle Vision. The CSN disc was stereo only, and now this one as well. One should expect to find a 5.1 audio track on a Blu-Ray disc. Doesn't have to be DTS-HD Master Audio, 5.1 PCM is fine. It's very disappointing to play a concert Blu-Ray and find it to be only a 2.0 soundtrack.

Jon - we must give discredit where discredit is due. Neither the CSN nor Paul Simon were released on Eagle Vision. The CSN was on CSN Records distributed via ADA (WEA's indie arm) and Paul Simon was via Hear/Concord. Eagle has been pretty consistent with their releases - albeit typically live surround mixes - ambience and audience in the rears -I am not aware of a single Eagle BD release in anything less than 5.1 DTS HD MA. Actually, Eagle has made avaialable some pretty decent surround discs recently - The Lee Ritenour "Overtime" and despite the beating I'm gonna take over my recommendation, I still think that the Metheny "Orchestrion" disc is something special.

BTW, what's even more astounding about the Paul Simon being only 2.0 is that it was "mixed" by Phil Ramone.

Eagle has been pretty consistent with their releases - albeit typically live surround mixes - ambience and audience in the rears -I am not aware of a single Eagle BD release in anything less than 5.1 DTS HD MA.

Actually some of the earlier Blu-ray Eagle Rock discs are DTS HD High Resolution (not HD Master Audio), e.g. Yes - Live at Montreux

Jon - we must give discredit where discredit is due. Neither the CSN nor Paul Simon were released on Eagle Vision. The CSN was on CSN Records distributed via ADA (WEA's indie arm) and Paul Simon was via Hear/Concord. Eagle has been pretty consistent with their releases - albeit typically live surround mixes - ambience and audience in the rears -I am not aware of a single Eagle BD release in anything less than 5.1 DTS HD MA. Actually, Eagle has made avaialable some pretty decent surround discs recently - The Lee Ritenour "Overtime" and despite the beating I'm gonna take over my recommendation, I still think that the Metheny "Orchestrion" disc is something special.

BTW, what's even more astounding about the Paul Simon being only 2.0 is that it was "mixed" by Phil Ramone.

Thanks Elmer. I thought I saw the Eagle Vision logo on the thing. As for Eagle Vision, the best surround Hi-Rez video I own is probably the very first one I ever bought, the Eagles Farewell Tour I HD-DVD. It's probably the only reason I still have an HD-DVD player around. That surround mix is the benchmark to which all others must be judged. Elliot Schiener, of course! :)

Steven Wilson - Get All You Deserve

I decided to pass on the Magical Mystery Tour disc....

Thanks Elmer. I thought I saw the Eagle Vision logo on the thing. As for Eagle Vision, the best surround Hi-Rez video I own is probably the very first one I ever bought, the Eagles Farewell Tour I HD-DVD. It's probably the only reason I still have an HD-DVD player around. That surround mix is the benchmark to which all others must be judged. Elliot Schiener, of course! :)

Jon - an easy mistake to make - The Eagles Farewell Tour 1 (both DVD & HD DVD) was released via the Eagles own imprint (managed by their long time manager Irving Azoff), Eagle Records, and distributed via Rhino (WEA). Eagle Records and Eagle Vision (aka Eagle Rock) are, alas, 2 entirely separate entities. Eagle Vision is an independent UK based company (with subsidiaries world wide) owned by Terry Shand ( who previously ran the catalogue label Castle Communications). Terry and Eagle have been committed to HD DVD and the BD since both of their inceptions and continue to be the leading distributor of live music BD content - if not in volume of sales, then in breadth of catalogue. Eagle Vision's BD content can be viewed here;

http://www.eagle-rock.com/browse_products.asp?Genre=&Type=BR

Lizard King - yes, the first few, originally HD DVD titles, Yes & Deep Purple Live At Montreux were released on BD in the DTS HD High Def format - but subsequently with the demise of HD DVD and the ubiquity of BD and DTS HD MA, the rest, AFIK, were/are released as DTS HD MA.

Back