Pink Floyd "Animals (2022 Atmos mix)" Blu-ray Audio incl. hi-res Dolby Atmos; 5.1 and stereo mixes (2018 remix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not everyone's but that's a different story. ;)
It's possible I might be surprised but I'd guess we may be waiting quite a while for this.
Of all the 4 original member PF albums, Waters considers this his #1 special baby.
And just out of pure meanness and spite, he will throw every roadblock he can to delay any new releases of this album.
JMHO

Yeah I don't honestly see Nick or David having any concerns with The Wall being released in Atmos. The delay is almost certainly with Roger. I just don't think Roger thinks it's a priority.

I have to admit that I rarely listen to The Wall, but I'd love to have a great surround mix that would reinvigorate my interest in it. I literally wore the grooves off the first LP I got, and got a second copy somewhere around 85. It was a very important album to me at the time, but as I've gotten older I've found it resonates less with me, while most of the other PF albums have continued to resonate, perhaps even more in some cases.

"The Trial" begs for a killer surround mix. Even before the movie came out, it sounded like it belonged in the soundtrack of a movie. With all the effects, back ground sounds, and dialogue across the entire album, I think it could be really awesome IF done well.

As for Waters, I think he would just want to magnify how The Wall was his baby (like we all don't already know that). He might want to write the forward and more to cement that. Then the ball will be in Gilmour's court. How much does he care and how vindictive does he want to be.

I have to admit that I rarely listen to The Wall, but I'd love to have a great surround mix that would reinvigorate my interest in it. I literally wore the grooves off the first LP I got, and got a second copy somewhere around 85. It was a very important album to me at the time, but as I've gotten older I've found it resonates less with me, while most of the other PF albums have continued to resonate, perhaps even more in some cases.

"The Trial" begs for a killer surround mix. Even before the movie came out, it sounded like it belonged in the soundtrack of a movie. With all the effects, back ground sounds, and dialogue across the entire album, I think it could be really awesome IF done well.

As for Waters, I think he would just want to magnify how The Wall was his baby (like we all don't already know that). He might want to write the forward and more to cement that. Then the ball will be in Gilmour's court. How much does he care and how vindictive does he want to be.

It's hard to say. I think all of the band members felt like they were a part of Animals (and that's why the new liner notes were a sticking point). I don't get the same feeling feeling about The Wall from the books I've read on the band. Maybe I'm wrong, but barring some kind of unhinged tirade against the rest of the band by Roger (which is depressingly possible) I don't see the same issues. I think barring that they're likely to just let it slide.

I guess we'll find out. Or Roger will kick the bucket and his kids will let us have the immersive mix.

i had given the 5.1 Blu-ray a score of 9 which is well deserved considering how much better it is than the original stereo version.

i gave a first listen to the Amos disc the other day but i was a bit rushed and was not in the proper mindset. i still rated it a 10 as i could hear some sonic improvements. the extra separation allowed me top hear details that i missed in the 5.1 version. certainly not overly active in terms of Atmos channel use, but that is fine (Its' not all about sound effects swirling over my head).

yesterday i had time for a deeper delve and was in the proper mindset. i changed my score to an 11. definitely more polished and detailed. this is the best that album has ever sounded. more detail, more lively, a real treat for floyd fans,

Last edited:
I'm reading a lot of 'slightly better' or 'incrementally better' here.

This is the reason I'm holding off on pre-ordering these ATMOS re-issues.

If I can get 92% of the way there with an existing 5.1 and maybe 95% by using the AMTOS upmixer, well then, where's my motivation? In the world of audio and video, I try to avoid spending my money on the incremental.

I found it a bit disappointing. Rears and heights way to quiet for my taste. There's plenty to play with here to have more in the surrounds and heights.
The overall sound is good but could have been much better. A little to tame.

We would not be speaking about this "incremental" if the 5.1 and Atmos mixes would have been released simultaneously in a Blu-Ray. I think Guthrie did both mixes at the same time?

We would say then that Atmos mix is good, and that the "reduced" alternate 5.1 mix is also good.

But business is business.

I'm reading a lot of 'slightly better' or 'incrementally better' here.

This is the reason I'm holding off on pre-ordering these ATMOS re-issues.

If I can get 92% of the way there with an existing 5.1 and maybe 95% by using the AMTOS upmixer, well then, where's my motivation? In the world of audio and video, I try to avoid spending my money on the incremental.
I fully agree. I gave a thumbs down on the Rumours reissue for that very reason. And the Animals 5.1. Is quite good. But with a Floyd release, half of the fun is the effects, and it sounds like those were enhanced. Plus you still get the 5.1 if you want it.

And I like the idea of a new, extra long, instrumental mashup for the menus. I rip my discs and I ripped the menu mashup music just because it was so cool.

And you can't beat the value of a standalone disc. So I'm in.

Sure wish the booklet had a few more photographic angles the Battersea Power Station. A little skimpy only providing two of the projection maquettes too. 😉

Back