Roger Waters The Wall Live - Official Release

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't wanna be the Debbie Downer here, but do you guys really like the Floyd mixes Guthrie has done so far? I much prefer the quad Parsons DSOTM and the quad Humphries WYWH to the stuff Guthrie has turned out. I wonder if we aren't in for a major let down when we finally do get a 5.1 Guthrie mix of The Wall. Now if Andy Jackson were doing it...:music
Debbie Downer meet Negative Nancy. I'm in total agreement with you on this one.

Debbie Downer...Negative Nancy...meet Victor Voice of Reason....I'm not so sure that it's Guthrie that is making the decisions on how aggressive the mix is going to be...in the case of the DSOTM...the Parsons mix that most are giddy about wasn't selected by the band as their preference...bands are the one's that usually dictate the direction of the mix...I don't agree with this policy...but I've seen it happen a lot...I think it defeats the purpose of hiring a professional and then you micromanage them...but it happens...I'm not saying Guthrie is Steven Wilson...but I'm sure he could do more if the band wanted it...

Debbie Downer...Negative Nancy...meet Victor Voice of Reason....I'm not so sure that it's Guthrie that is making the decisions on how aggressive the mix is going to be...in the case of the DSOTM...the Parsons mix that most are giddy about wasn't selected by the band as their preference...bands are the one's that usually dictate the direction of the mix...I don't agree with this policy...but I've seen it happen a lot...I think it defeats the purpose of hiring a professional and then you micromanage them...but it happens...I'm not saying Guthrie is Steven Wilson...but I'm sure he could do more if the band wanted it...

I'm not so sure. I think, from the few articles I've read where Guthrie discusses these mixes, he is very happy with and proud of the outcomes. At any rate, if that is the case and the band truly are the ones to dictate the mix, Gilmour seems to have come around to the idea that a well done discrete mix is better than the "large stereo with effects" approach. Maybe he can provide some influence toward getting a better Wall (and dare I say, an Animals) remix. Hope springs eternal.

I'm not so sure that it's Guthrie that is making the decisions on how aggressive the mix is going to be...in the case of the DSOTM...the Parsons mix that most are giddy about wasn't selected by the band as their preference...bands are the one's that usually dictate the direction of the mix...I'm not saying Guthrie is Steven Wilson...but I'm sure he could do more if the band wanted it...

I don't want to presume to speak for James Guthrie, but I can tell you what he said to me about his mix philosophy. I chatted with him briefly at the WYWH SACD debut in Denver, and I am grateful to him for the opportunity to chat. He was very friendly and forthcoming.

He told me he sees these works (Pink Floyd albums) as works of art by the artist. I am paraphrasing - I do not remember the exact words - but the upshot was that he did not want to impose his vision onto the work, but rather to open up the mix while still having it sound like the classic work we know and love.

He did say he did not prefer the Alan Parsons mix of DSOTM. So therefore, I am deducing that he does not personally prefer aggressive discrete mixing. Based on the work that Andy Jackson has done, and which has been released with the approval of the band, I would speculate that the band is not hands-on with the surround mixing, but rather is brought in for an approval playback. I do not know how much the band may have asked for tweaking of surround mixes on any of their projects.

As I have said elsewhere, I am grateful to have two surround mixes of DSOTM and WYWH. The Wall will only get one surround mix, so therefore I would love to hear Andy have a crack at it, because I do like aggressive mixing. But I do not dislike the Guthrie mixes. His mix of The Wall would be far better than no surround mix at all!

And unlike DSOTM and WYWH, Guthrie worked on the original album of The Wall so he at least has some authority on it just beyond being the guy the band trusts to do these mixes.

And unlike DSOTM and WYWH, Guthrie worked on the original album of The Wall so he at least has some authority on it just beyond being the guy the band trusts to do these mixes.

I wouldn't want to hear it done by anyone else. :)

If he can take it to the next level like the Amused to Death mix in 5.1 (Erm... with a little post mastering help anyway if I do say so myself), that would be fantastic!

Just the live approach (tape fx in quad and some of Ricks sounds flown around the room) would be good enough for me too if it had the right feel.

This guy makes very cinematic mixes and of very high fidelity.

The DSOTM remix wasn't really fair. The original surround mix is such an iconic standard that any surround remix was doomed. Especially one that tried to present the original stereo mix expanded and dismiss many elements of the quad mix. The fidelity of those remixes is quite high though.

As far as Guthrie's public comments, I'd have to think he'd stick to the party line and keep any regrets to himself to not undermine the band or its album releases. #grainofsalt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as Guthrie's public comments, I'd have to think he'd stick to the party line and keep any regrets to himself to not undermine the band or its album releases. #grainofsalt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spot on...if you want to keep getting work in that field that would be the wisest course of action...

Uhmmm, Roger's facebook announced today a Super Super Deluxe edition, different from the 2 bluray discs one. More details should surface tomorrow.
My personal bet is a big box with the 3 vinyl records, a book and 2 cds plus the 2 blurays. No additional content, of course. I hope I'll be wrong...

Uhmmm, Roger's facebook announced today a Super Super Deluxe edition, different from the 2 bluray discs one. More details should surface tomorrow.
My personal bet is a big box with the 3 vinyl records, a book and 2 cds plus the 2 blurays. No additional content, of course. I hope I'll be wrong...

Maybe this is the one with the marbles?

Dude, I didn't see the recent Wall live show. Did Roger lip sync at all on the tour?

I don't think so.
He instead awkwardly lowered the key of a few songs (and the segues REALLY made that stand out) and all the screamy screechy parts were just not performed. I think he should have just hired a stunt singer for some of that just like he lined up the rest of the band but I suppose some people would have had a bird if that had happened.

Could have worked it into the surrogate band theme somehow - impostures up there for more than just In The Flesh. It would have worked!
As it was it was weird hearing Wall songs without "Eugene". A most prominent "instrument" on the album and original tour.

Maybe this is the one with the marbles?

I think they are going to announce that this super deluxe set will contain marbles, only to not include them in the final set, therefore fulfilling the line:

"THEY MUST HAVE TAKEN MY MARBLES AWAY!" ;)

Back