Rush - A Farewell to Kings 40th anniversary box set (Steven Wilson 5.1 mix included)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for your review! My set arrives tomorrow. It is a wonderful thing knowing I’m going to enjoy. Then again, Steven Wilson mixed it. That was why it was an automatic buy. One question concerning the mastering. How do you feel about the dynamic range? Crankable?

Definitely. Quiet parts are quiet; loud parts are LOUD! It's great. That's just the 5.1 mix, BTW. I haven't listened to the CDs or vinyl yet.

I'm only two tracks in, and I haven't recently listened to the Sector 5.1 mix so I can't compare, but I will say this:
1. The classical guitar at the very beginning is much cleaner, i.e., less noise.
2. There are many more discrete elements, particularly synthesizers and toms in the rear speakers (as Steven did throughout the "Stupid Dream" mixes).
3. Overall, it sounds more crisp, tigher, and more dynamic than previous versions.
4. It's NOT an ambient mix, but of course we wouldn't expect that from Steven Wilson.
5. The visuals are great!
6. Currently on "Closer to the Heart," and I never noticed those vibraslaps before!
7. Acoustic guitars all over the room in "Cinderella Man".

The fun has just begun.

Thanks for your comments Paul, I can't wait!

Mine has just arrived, interesting note on the BD-A cover, so the original Xanadu was off-pitch.

CCF_000049.jpg

Mine has just arrived, interesting note on the BD-A cover, so the original Xanadu was off-pitch.

View attachment 31382
Xanadu's pitch on the album has been well-documented in various Rush biographies. I don't recall exactly why they left it pitched-up, but it has raised in the first place to match the tuning of the giant bells they used. IIRC, they might have left it pitched-up either to save space on the LP or because it gave the track a little more momentum.
It will be very cool to have at concert pitch in discrete 5.1!

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk

I eventually found in the booklet with the CDs some mention of the 5.1 (looks like the CD booklet has been specially done, as it says for this box set)

Rush-FWTK_booklet.jpg

still delayed.....though little explanation. It's a UPS problem. But the damn thing is sitting outside of Chicago since last night. The message that they had issues came at 5am this morning.....and nothing since then. Seems odd.... Unless they damaged it beyond repair...

Ooh, this is going to annoy me. I have very stable relative pitch memory (not perfect/absolute pitch), and so I expect the studio "Xanadu" to be that 40 cents sharp. Guess I'll have to pitch it up myself...

Ooh, this is going to annoy me. I have very stable relative pitch memory (not perfect/absolute pitch), and so I expect the studio "Xanadu" to be that 40 cents sharp. Guess I'll have to pitch it up myself...

You know this without actually hearing it first...wah wah.

You know this without actually hearing it first...wah wah.
I do. I have a nearly-phonographic memory, pitch included. I can probably listen to most, if not all, of "Xanadu" in my head with a high degree of accuracy. Because I do perceive pitch accurately, it's an integral part of the experience for me. The neither-here-nor-there pitch of "Xanadu" is part of its charm for me, so I will miss it, 100%.

So, how do you contact Amazon with complaints? I don't want to call them....not in the mood. Now they say my order will arrive Tuesday. I'm effing pissed. That is horse shit. I dropped another provider to get the damn thing faster and they messed it up. OK, UPS messed it up, but I don't care. They chose UPS to ship it and now it's several days late. That's not my problem. I will raise hell. I give them way too much money to tolerate this. I took the day off work in anticipation of getting this. I don't want some $100 item sitting on my front porch in the weather. Sorry.....I have that right.

So, how do you contact Amazon with complaints? I don't want to call them....not in the mood. Now they say my order will arrive Tuesday. I'm effing pissed. That is horse shit. I dropped another provider to get the damn thing faster and they messed it up. OK, UPS messed it up, but I don't care. They chose UPS to ship it and now it's several days late. That's not my problem. I will raise hell. I give them way too much money to tolerate this. I took the day off work in anticipation of getting this. I don't want some $100 item sitting on my front porch in the weather. Sorry.....I have that right.

Well GOS Snood;s Parsons box was supposed to be today........now it is delayed til maybe Monday.........called up today and got a 20 dollar credit :banana:

Got My Rush though - Perfect condition :yikes

Still waiting on my damn Germany Eagles though whaaaaaaaaaa:confused:

Oh - Bottom of Amazon.........choose Help.....then Contact - then best to choose call now and if you get someone that will not give u credit..........ask to talk to supv. :howl

got my copy today. first listen was really good. as usual great work by steve wilson. album has lots of dynamics and clarity. not happy about having to spend $90-100 on it. but i will get over that.

Back