What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My latest quad pickup was John Keating Conducts the London Symphony Orchestra - 250 Years of Film Music, UK pressing. This title seems to get little love it seems. I will buy any quad at Value Village, but this is a keeper for sure. I do wish Rhapsody in Blue was a full length version as it is one of my favourite pieces along with Greensleeves. For two bux and it still has the SQ quadraphonic inner sleeve, it was a no brainer. What I don't get is it has a sticker for DM10.98, which I assume is Deutschmarks. I am surprised there wasn't a German pressing.

I've seen two different sets of art for the Quad of this one so maybe there's a Columbia version for U.S.A and EMI version for Europe or "down under"?

Split Coconut - Dave Mason (SQ LP).

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I hope you're right, I'll track down a copy and see what happens :smokin

As to Richard Thompson; I spotted on for $6 second hand on Amazon, looking forward to it! Thanks for the tip :music

I had this DVD and traded it away after I purchased the newer reissue by New West Records of the cd/dvd version, after all I hate those large amaray dvd cases, a waist of plastic I think, and the newer cd size version is so much easier for bookshelf storage.The price was equal to or less than the original dvd btw and contains the dvd intact in dts 5.1.

Yer Kidding...Right? I have a near mint (no noise, no pops) and I wouldn't give that kind of accolades.

No kidding at all; this kind of music divides people and I can fully appreciate that. I think it's boundary pushing in terms of the technology used and I love the richness of the arrangements and the angle of this being a concept album for space flight. But I can totally see that some will regard it as cheesy muzak with over the top pretensions of grandeur with a quite ridiculous line up of songs. I love John Keating, Enoch Light, Dick Hyman, to name but a few pioneers of this kind of music. But I can't stand Hugo Montenegro or his arrangements no matter how hard I've tried. Vive le difference right? :smokin

I love John Keating's Space Experience. I first bought the Q8 back in the day. At first listen, I thought it was kind of hokey, but grew to love it for what it is after a few plays. In '98, I found a SEALED US SQ LP. Some great tunes for sci-fi junkies, and some great mixes for Quad fans.

Cover variations:

UK SQ LP:
R-1629332-1233223357.jpeg.jpg

Yugoslavian SQ LP:
Unknown-6.jpeg

US SQ LP:
Unknown-7.jpeg

Does anyone know if the UK CD still keeps the SQ encoding intact?:
Unknown-1.jpeg

As for 250 Years of Film Music,:blecch! Although I love the classics and was a season subscriber to Chicago Symphony for years, that album leaves me absolutely cold. I bought it as a US SQ LP new release in '74. I've listened to it a few times since, and never warmed up to it.

UK SQ LP:
Unknown-8.jpeg

US SQ LP:
Unknown-9.jpeg

As for Dave Mason, I'm a big fan. Although he is a Brit, he lived in Chicago for years and has professed his love for our city. I'll profess my love for his music as part of Traffic, and as a solo artist.

John Keating is pretty exceptional but I don't have this one, I'm going to have to track one down. 'Space Experience' is one of those albums that totally transcends the genre it sits within to become a glorious celebration of pioneering arranging and musicianship backed with first class engineering and mastering.

Quad Linda, is it at all possible that the UK and US versions of 250 Years have different mixes? I am thinking of what happened when the Beatles LP's were released in the US. I enjoy symphonic music and this LP I found very enjoyable on first listen. I will search out the Space Experience albums too.

Having never heard anything but the US SQ of 250 Years of Film Music, I can't speak to any possible mix variations. It's the performances that have always left me cold. Perhaps it's simply because they spread themselves too thin for 1 LP.

Quad Linda, is it at all possible that the UK and US versions of 250 Years have different mixes? I am thinking of what happened when the Beatles LP's were released in the US. I enjoy symphonic music and this LP I found very enjoyable on first listen. I will search out the Space Experience albums too.

I love John Keating's Space Experience. I first bought the Q8 back in the day. At first listen, I thought it was kind of hokey, but grew to love it for what it is after a few plays. In '98, I found a SEALED US SQ LP. Some great tunes for sci-fi junkies, and some great mixes for Quad fans.

Cover variations:

UK SQ LP:
View attachment 21008

Yugoslavian SQ LP:
View attachment 21009

US SQ LP:
View attachment 21010

Does anyone know if the UK CD still keeps the SQ encoding intact?:
View attachment 21011

As for 250 Years of Film Music,:blecch! Although I love the classics and was a season subscriber to Chicago Symphony for years, that album leaves me absolutely cold. I bought it as a US SQ LP new release in '74. I've listened to it a few times since, and never warmed up to it.

UK SQ LP:
View attachment 21012

US SQ LP:
View attachment 21013

As for Dave Mason, I'm a big fan. Although he is a Brit, he lived in Chicago for years and has professed his love for our city. I'll profess my love for his music as part of Traffic, and as a solo artist.

Lovely post! The CD does include the encoding for Part One but not as far as I know for Part Two. Part Two may not even be quad; I've got two LP versions marked as SQ on they way from Spain and I've no idea if they are genuinely quad or even genuinely John Keating. I really like his own writing that intersperses the covers, but I have to say that 'Jesus Christ Superstar' is the highlight for me, a kick-ass, take no prisoners groove workout that highlights exceptional harmonica, hammond and trumpet amongst the burbling synths and breakbeats. 'Star Trek' is another corker too, listen out for the bass line - all growling sine waves. I once heard BJ Cole play the theme on pedal steel in a studio I worked at, it was glorious.

Thanks to quadbill for these:

405136832.jpg

I'll have to compare the Birds of Fire to the SACD... which hopefully is on its way to me...

Back