What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More of what's inside Byrds SQ LP..

image.jpg

image.jpg

A Japan SQ of Byrdmaniax! Being a Byrds completist, I have the SQ, and have had a 2ch LP, CD, & expanded CD. IMHO, sadly it is their worst album and a bore. It's most appropriate that the cover is death masks of all the band members! Too bad it's their only surround title.

Perhaps we'll see AF put out the unreleased 5.1 SACD of 5th Dimension.

A Japan SQ of Byrdmaniax! Being a Byrds completist, I have the SQ, and have had a 2ch LP, CD, & expanded CD. IMHO, sadly it is their worst album and a bore. It's most appropriate that the cover is death masks of all the band members! Too bad it's their only surround title.

Perhaps we'll see AF put out the unreleased 5.1 SACD of 5th Dimension.

Oh! :yikes What a shame it's clearly a road of borrocks..! :D I don't know the album (I tried it out on iTunes before I bid for the SQ and liked what I heard enough to proceed..) at least it came in a tasty package :eek:

I love John Keating's Space Experience. I first bought the Q8 back in the day. At first listen, I thought it was kind of hokey, but grew to love it for what it is after a few plays. In '98, I found a SEALED US SQ LP. Some great tunes for sci-fi junkies, and some great mixes for Quad fans.

Cover variations:
Does anyone know if the UK CD still keeps the SQ encoding intact?:
View attachment 21011

As for Dave Mason, I'm a big fan. Although he is a Brit, he lived in Chicago for years and has professed his love for our city. I'll profess my love for his music as part of Traffic, and as a solo artist.

This is one of OD findings.

john-keating-space-experience-2-ds512p-front.jpg

John Keating - Space Experience 2 EMI Spanish SQ LP

This is for sure SQ legit, as pointed out in a previous post. It's another quad riot but weaker overall than Space Experience 1, although when it does hit the mark, it really nails it. Having ended up with two of these and having heard them both I think that side B sounds weak in terms of the pressing as it's noisier when compared to side A. Weird.

If you like SE 1 then SE 2 is a no brainer and worth it; if you disliked SE1 then this is likely to send you over the edge.

IMG_3764 copy.jpgIMG_3766 copy.jpgIMG_3767 copy.jpgIMG_3769 copy.jpgIMG_3770 copy.jpg

KOSS - Perspectives QS LP

I don't have the headphones but I did crank this up and it sounded great. The mix is awkward sometimes in terms of transitions between tracks but that's a minor gripe, the list of tracks used is pretty damn good. It's a one off I guess and worth tracking down. At some point I'm going to compare the mixes here to the original versions for those tracks that appear elsewhere as the liner notes state they were mixed specifically for the headphones, I'm pretty sure that the Keith Jarrett track is a different mix as it's more corner discrete versus the originals room-vibe quad feel.

IMG_3772 copy.jpgIMG_3776 copy.jpgIMG_3778 copy.jpgIMG_3774 copy.jpgIMG_3781 copy.jpgIMG_3783 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Spacy German Psychedelia in SQ QUAD

May now be available on cd (Spalax-France?)

Some of these OHR/METRONOME/COSMIC COURRIER discs have great quad mixes!

20150821_182834.jpg20150821_182844.jpg20150821_182907.jpg20150821_182937.jpg

includes a poster...

20150821_183039.jpg

Actually, it's Edgar Winter's White Trash feat. Jerry Lacroix that's depicted, not Roadwork. White Trash was mixed for Quad, but I believe it is still unreleased. Coincidentally, I played Roadwork in my convertible a week ago. It has a black cover w/photos. To my knowledge, that title was never mixed or released in Quad.

Sometimes, especially in the early days of Quad, albums were announced, but never released. US Columbia titles that were announced as Quad, but never materialized include Horowitz Plays Scriabin and Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits Vol. 2. Both would have been a nightmare to mix. Live tracks and early folk songs would have been tough on Vol. 2. Horowitz is a solo piano record.

Thanks FREDBLUE

REALLY COOL TO SEE ALL THOSE SONY QUAD SQ discs, some not released elsewhere, such as the EDGAR WINTER-WHITE TRASH/ROADWORK disc.That rarity would be very highly collectable!!!

Twenty Songs Of The Century.JPG
Good separation. But some of the arrangements are almost unlistenable. The album is very, very gimmicky.

Back