What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Controversial perhaps; this is listed in a few places as being DY encoded. For a record designed to show off JBL speakers it sure does sound beautiful, super smooth with a lovely sparkle in the high end and a deep richness to the bottom end. 'Fire and Rain' for example sounds really nice, the rim shots and the bass drum sound better than the first pressing stereo vinyl version I own. It's a very nice line up of music as well, surprisingly so as it feels well curated in terms of the order. But is it DY? It sure sounds good on the Surround Master on the QS/Involve setting - but I know that means that the rear phase isn't correct and neither is the side wall imaging. I think maybe just some of the tracks are legit DY; The Pentangle tracks sound the most discrete followed by Mason Williams and Lovecraft. I have found a Dynaco QD-1 that's on it's way to me and I'm going to give that a whirl when it arrives and see what happens. Anyone tried this one with a Quadapter?

IMG_3695 copy.jpgIMG_3696 copy.jpg

The Four Tops: Main Street People QS, The Grass Roots: Their 16 Greatest Hits QS

More ABC Command Quadraphonic finds; I am almost there in terms of getting them all; just looking for sleeve variants after I get hold of Bobby Bland and B.B King. 'Main Street People' is a really nice quad mix; gorgeous production values. Love this so much and the other Command quads they put out. The Grass Roots I'll come back to later, The Four Tops is on it's second play today already :smokin

IMG_3701 copy.jpgIMG_3706 copy.jpgIMG_3704 copy.jpgIMG_3707-1 copy.jpgIMG_3698 copy.jpgIMG_3699 copy.jpgIMG_3700 copy.jpg

Thanks to Adam and his dogged determination to nail every 70s quad soul release I did not give up my pursuit for the hard to find Isley's, I snagged 'Live It Up' and 'Harvest For The World' in their SQ variants. 'Harvest...' is possibly the cleanest, smoothest sounding record I own - I'm blown away by this NM, I can't quite believe just how nice the quad the mix is to match as well. I honestly thought I would never hear these, let alone sounding as good as this. The search goes on for the remaining ones!

No extra picks as Adam already listed them out.

IMG_3710 copy.jpg

The Q4 Japanese reel is amazing, I had no idea this was a Matrix record as well! Is the there a channel identification sequence in Japanese at the start? Can you supply the record ID for this as well?

There is no channel identification on the disc. The record number is 4R 8. It says ABC Records made by King records of Tokyo by arrangement with ABC USA

My favorite here is 'Hummingbird' which really swaggers hard. Although I remember the reel does seem to have the Blues Boy's vocal a little lower in the mix than I'd like, is that the same here I wonder?

I don't know if it is the same as the reel. I do wonder if the whole concert is quad encoded as the stereo release was 2 LP's and the CD is full length as well. The LP has a silver sticker saying 4 channel stereo record, full compatible matrix system, which I am taking as QS. If I had steady hands and a camera, I would post better pictures. If you have any more questions, ask away.

Last edited:
I don't know if it is the same as the reel. I do wonder if the whole concert is quad encoded as the stereo release was 2 LP's and the CD is full length as well. The LP has a silver sticker saying 4 channel stereo record, full compatible matrix system, which I am taking as QS. If I had steady hands and a camera, I would post better pictures. If you have any more questions, ask away.

Thanks for the great info; I may have a look at the double LP and the CD as well, could be a hidden gem or a hiding to nothing.

Thanks to Adam and his dogged determination to nail every 70s quad soul release I did not give up my pursuit for the hard to find Isley's, I snagged 'Live It Up' and 'Harvest For The World' in their SQ variants. 'Harvest...' is possibly the cleanest, smoothest sounding record I own - I'm blown away by this NM, I can't quite believe just how nice the quad the mix is to match as well. I honestly thought I would never hear these, let alone sounding as good as this. The search goes on for the remaining ones!

No extra picks as Adam already listed them out.

View attachment 20957

Oh yes! That Harvest For The World Quad's a particularly beautiful sounding record.. and Live It Up is something of a revelation too, easily the best I've ever heard either of those albums... and that's even before I properly decode them! (though I have to say the Quadek app made a pretty good fist of them, especially in QS mode, lots of cool front to back stuff going on.. alas all slowly getting packed away now so playtime has had to stop.. boo..!)

Ps. Have you got any of the O'Jays or Harold Melvin SQ's yet? Message In The Music, Survival and Wake Up Everybody sound stunning.

Oh and Johnnie Taylor's Ear'gasm SQ sounds gorgeous too.

MFSB Philadelphia Freedom SQ is nice but a little too laid back, as is O'Jays Family Reunion, both could do with just a light sprinkling of top end sparkle to my ears.. although briefly comparing them to the CDs was quite a shock, not only are the CDs bright to the point of agony they are LOUD whereas the SQ LPs are smooth and quiet..!! :yikes

Oh yes! That Harvest For The World Quad's a particularly beautiful sounding record.. and Live It Up is something of a revelation too, easily the best I've ever heard either of those albums... and that's even before I properly decode them! (though I have to say the Quadek app made a pretty good fist of them, especially in QS mode, lots of cool front to back stuff going on.. alas all slowly getting packed away now so playtime has had to stop.. boo..!)

Having just played 'Live It Up' I can totally agree with you, the fidelity is pretty amazing but the mix is fantastic. The Surround Master makes short work of these both, an effortlessly smooth quality to the positioning with little discrete flourishes like the twin rhythm guitars chime RL/RR alternately, giving a real rhythmic snap to the track. I love 'Live It Up' - literally every track held my attention musically and in terms of it's quad mix. Lovely things happen with the vocals on each too. I think you should probably set aside some vacation time when you're moved and the Surround Master turns up, you're going to be in quad heaven!

I noted my interest for the CD4 version from Involve that they are currently considering and I also bought a Dynaquad QD-1 because I cannot get enough of this vinyl based quad!

Boy you said it all,Clint!!!!

Not to mention all the informative liner notes.The "art work"alone is worth collecting.

It's always interesting to see how the labels incorporate the quad logo within the sleeve art.

Its funny you should say about the collectibiity of the artwork itself.. I started buying these SQ LPs so I could finally get to hear some of these things in surround.. then it became fun discovering Quads I had never seen or heard mentioned/converted etc.. and now its become a huge thrill of collecting 40-year old literal sonic treasures in true work of art packaging.

I absolutely cannot wait to get setup again and with the SQ Vinyl Surround Master (on its way via DHL as we speak!) installed... just when you think you've got this surround music hobby licked - *wham* - you get back into vinyl and the multichannel madness continues..! :p

Having just played 'Live It Up' I can totally agree with you, the fidelity is pretty amazing but the mix is fantastic. The Surround Master makes short work of these both, an effortlessly smooth quality to the positioning with little discrete flourishes like the twin rhythm guitars chime RL/RR alternately, giving a real rhythmic snap to the track. I love 'Live It Up' - literally every track held my attention musically and in terms of it's quad mix. Lovely things happen with the vocals on each too. I think you should probably set aside some vacation time when you're moved and the Surround Master turns up, you're going to be in quad heaven!

I noted my interest for the CD4 version from Involve that they are currently considering and I also bought a Dynaquad QD-1 because I cannot get enough of this vinyl based quad!

Very very interesting to hear your assessment of the Live It Up mix! :yikes

I'd read here several times the mix as on Q8 was poor.. which is rather bizarre.. something must have gone amiss with the Q8 because even on my piece of crap setup with very basic software decoder I could tell there was stuff going on and that at times it was undeniably a remix and not just double stereo or the stereo processed through some faux surround encoding gizmo or whatever.. guitar elements are given reverb and presence and the tail ends of that reverb panned to the rear and on at least a couple of tracks there are unique vocal takes... and the Harvest FTW Quad continues in the same vein, only better, Ernie's electric guitar work has more oomph with reverb in all the right places where it is dry and lifeless by comparison in the stereo, there's the quintessential Isley backing vocals in the rears, the sound quality is exceptional... Audio Fidelity need to rescue the Harvest Quad from the vaults and put it on Surround SACD now! It'd surely become a reference disc instantly!

..oh I'm ready for Quad heaven! The halo is polished and packed up ready for the sweet spot..! :eek:

Uh oh.. What's DynaQuad QD-1? :yikes

Thanks for the great info; I may have a look at the double LP and the CD as well, could be a hidden gem or a hiding to nothing.

I have "acquired" the full album in FLAC form, and it is playing right now. The source was a Japanese SHMCD. It is QS encoded. B.B. is directly in front, piano is right and rear right, horns rear right. Audience full rear. This is a hidden quad for sure. Together is the next album I will be trying, though I don't have the LP to compare to.

Hey Fred, the Dynaco QD-1 Quadapter was a passive device you put between your amp output and four speakers, turning a 2 channel rig into quasi-4 channel. The same as Electrovoice's EV-4 or Stereo4. Not very directional, put put ambiance in the sound and was way cheaper than a 4 channel amplifier. Basically a really crappy QS system. Most of us play DynaQuad, EV-4/Stereo4 and Regular Matrix(RM) records in QS as it seems the closest to what was intended originally and gives better separation than the original equipment for those early quad formats.

Hey Fred, the Dynaco QD-1 Quadapter was a passive device you put between your amp output and four speakers, turning a 2 channel rig into quasi-4 channel. The same as Electrovoice's EV-4 or Stereo4. Not very directional, put put ambiance in the sound and was way cheaper than a 4 channel amplifier. Basically a really crappy QS system. Most of us play DynaQuad, EV-4/Stereo4 and Regular Matrix(RM) records in QS as it seems the closest to what was intended originally and gives better separation than the original equipment for those early quad formats.

While the Dynaco system was passive, the EV was not. It was an active system that connected via the tape loop and a second stereo amp for the rear speakers. I used this in the early days; records encoded for EV do play well in QS, and vice versa. A QS decoder gives better separation across the rear. The Dynaquad decoder was a good way to extract quad from stereo, but not too many recordings were made to take advantage of it. Vanguard did a demo record with classical music on one side and pop on the other. I don't know of too many others.

The Beach Boys 'Surfs Up' and 'Sunflower' as well Beaver and Krause's "Ghandarva' and 'All Good Men' are all DY encoded; all four do sound really good decoded through the surround master in QS mode but given that the DY encode isn't 90 degrees phase shift based I figured that by using a DY decoder I could compare what differences there may be between the two methods. There are a couple more from Brother Records that utilize this method as well. Could be unnecessary given it's probably a subtle difference but for $20 on the QD1 I figured I would have a play.

The Beach Boys 'Surfs Up' and 'Sunflower' as well Beaver and Krause's "Ghandarva' and 'All Good Men' are all DY encoded; all four do sound really good decoded through the surround master in QS mode but given that the DY encode isn't 90 degrees phase shift based I figured that by using a DY decoder I could compare what differences there may be between the two methods. There are a couple more from Brother Records that utilize this method as well. Could be unnecessary given it's probably a subtle difference but for $20 on the QD1 I figured I would have a play.

Dynaquad records (via Stephen Desper, One of the Beach Boys engineer

THE BEACH BOYS-SUNFLOWER (2 TRACKS)

THE BEACH BOYS-SURF'S UP

THE FLAME-THE FLAME

SPRING-THE SPRING (the U.S.group)

CARL AND THE PASSIONS-SO TOUGH (2 tracks)

THE BEACH BOYS-LOVE YOU (2 tracks from' 71)

THE BEACH BOYS-15 BIG ONES

THE BEACH BOYS-KEEPING THE SUMMER ALIVE

Most are still available on CD twofers I believe.The Beach Boys had their own Encoder at Brother Records Studio.Whether or not "Mr.Moffat"they're other engineer used that Encoder is a mystery.

Controversial perhaps; this is listed in a few places as being DY encoded. For a record designed to show off JBL speakers it sure does sound beautiful, super smooth with a lovely sparkle in the high end and a deep richness to the bottom end. 'Fire and Rain' for example sounds really nice, the rim shots and the bass drum sound better than the first pressing stereo vinyl version I own. It's a very nice line up of music as well, surprisingly so as it feels well curated in terms of the order. But is it DY? It sure sounds good on the Surround Master on the QS/Involve setting - but I know that means that the rear phase isn't correct and neither is the side wall imaging. I think maybe just some of the tracks are legit DY; The Pentangle tracks sound the most discrete followed by Mason Williams and Lovecraft. I have found a Dynaco QD-1 that's on it's way to me and I'm going to give that a whirl when it arrives and see what happens. Anyone tried this one with a Quadapter?

View attachment 20948View attachment 20949

That track from Pentangle-Pentangling is absolutely incredible sounding via a QS decoder.Danny Thompson's bass solo swings from front to rear and left to right with an incredible display. The good news is it should be intact on the album's lp and cd I would think.

If you get a chance check out Richard Thompson's Austin City Limits live with Danny on stand up bass.A dts dvd or cd/dvd in 5.1 is available.

My latest quad pickup was John Keating Conducts the London Symphony Orchestra - 250 Years of Film Music, UK pressing. This title seems to get little love it seems. I will buy any quad at Value Village, but this is a keeper for sure. I do wish Rhapsody in Blue was a full length version as it is one of my favourite pieces along with Greensleeves. For two bux and it still has the SQ quadraphonic inner sleeve, it was a no brainer. What I don't get is it has a sticker for DM10.98, which I assume is Deutschmarks. I am surprised there wasn't a German pressing.

That track from Pentangle-Pentangling is absolutely incredible sounding via a QS decoder.Danny Thompson's bass solo swings from front to rear and left to right with an incredible display. The good news is it should be intact on the album's lp and cd I would think.

If you get a chance check out Richard Thompson's Austin City Limits live with Danny on stand up bass.A dts dvd or cd/dvd in 5.1 is available.

I hope you're right, I'll track down a copy and see what happens :smokin

As to Richard Thompson; I spotted on for $6 second hand on Amazon, looking forward to it! Thanks for the tip :music

My latest quad pickup was John Keating Conducts the London Symphony Orchestra - 250 Years of Film Music, UK pressing. This title seems to get little love it seems. I will buy any quad at Value Village, but this is a keeper for sure. I do wish Rhapsody in Blue was a full length version as it is one of my favourite pieces along with Greensleeves. For two bux and it still has the SQ quadraphonic inner sleeve, it was a no brainer. What I don't get is it has a sticker for DM10.98, which I assume is Deutschmarks. I am surprised there wasn't a German pressing.

John Keating is pretty exceptional but I don't have this one, I'm going to have to track one down. 'Space Experience' is one of those albums that totally transcends the genre it sits within to become a glorious celebration of pioneering arranging and musicianship backed with first class engineering and mastering.

Back