Definitive list of David Bowie in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Failed Muso

800 Club - QQ All-Star
Hi all,

I'm still trying to process the loss of this great man, but in doing so, I thought I might try and flesh out my Bowie 5.1 collection, which currently stands at 1 disc (Ziggy DVD-V) and so I thought I'd do a bit of research on what was officially available. This is what I've come up with so far, so if I've missed anything, be it title or format, please feel free to add :)

The Rise & Fall of Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars (SACD/DVD-V)
Young Americans (DVD-V)
Reality (DVD-V DualDisc/SACD)
Heathen (SACD)
David Live (DVD-A/V)
Stage (DVD-A/V)
Station to Station (DVD-V as part of box set)

Have I missed anything?

Last edited:
Two corrections/additions off the top of me head:

1) "Young Americans" is DVD/V (not DVD-A)
2) There's also the (dreaded) "Station to Station" 5.1 DVD-V disc in the 2010 Super Deluxe Edition box set.

If I think of anything else, I'll add it in! :)

Thank you! :)

Why is Station to Station "dreaded"?

2) There's also the (dreaded) "Station to Station" 5.1 DVD-V disc in the 2010 Super Deluxe Edition box set.

Thank you! :)

Why is Station to Station "dreaded"?

They (they = presumed mastering engineer but I've no idea who's head should have rolled for what they did to this masterpiece of an album..?) horrendously brickwalled the Front L & R, seriously lowered the level of the Centre channel (which does have some cool stuff going on in there) and the Rears are mostly horrific cavernous reverb.

Some time last year I had a go at trying to salvage it.. not entirely satisfactorily.. when I can face it I will have another go but I think it will be a more complex process involving something like running Front L & R of the 5.1 mix thru the Surround Master to create faux/syntehsised Rears and just bin the existing Rears.

There are Promo's in fatboy jewel cases of the STS SDE that have the 5.1 DVD-V among other discs from the box which pop up on eBay from time to time, its how I got the 5.1 as I could not afford the box.. I guess now it will be out of the financial reach of all but the Quaddies and fans with the very deepest pockets now he's gone.. :(

They (they = presumed mastering engineer but I've no idea who's head should have rolled for what they did to this masterpiece of an album..?) horrendously brickwalled the Front L & R, seriously lowered the level of the Centre channel (which does have some cool stuff going on in there) and the Rears are mostly horrific cavernous reverb.

Some time last year I had a go at trying to salvage it.. not entirely satisfactorily.. when I can face it I will have another go but I think it will be a more complex process involving something like running Front L & R of the 5.1 mix thru the Surround Master to create faux/syntehsised Rears and just bin the existing Rears.

I would happily give reworking the existing 6 channels a try!

I would happily give reworking the existing 6 channels a try!

The Rears "as is" are beyond repair EB.. trust me, they're just an awful mess.. I'll let you know how I'm getting on with generating some half-decent Rear activity with the Involve unit or Spec or something but I can't see me even touching the files for a while.

The Rears "as is" are beyond repair EB.. trust me, they're just an awful mess.. I'll let you know how I'm getting on with generating some half-decent Rear activity with the Involve unit or Spec or something but I can't see me even touching the files for a while.

This might be venturing in to PM territory soon, but keep me posted. Maybe it would be good to run spec or involve against repaired fronts though? I think that would be preferable to generating rears from bricked fronts, then trying to repair fronts and rears. Or are you thinking to work with a stereo source?

This might be venturing in to PM territory soon, but keep me posted. Maybe it would be good to run spec or involve against repaired fronts though? I think that would be preferable to generating rears from bricked fronts, then trying to repair fronts and rears. Or are you thinking to work with a stereo source?

How's this for an experiment: keep the fronts from the Multichannel mix. Create new rear channels by upmixing the original Stereo mix and using the rear channel information. Sync the signals and you have yourself a Quasimodo Quad mix Ă  la mode... :)

How's this for an experiment: keep the fronts from the Multichannel mix. Create new rear channels by upmixing the original Stereo mix and using the rear channel information. Sync the signals and you have yourself a Quasimodo Quad mix Ă  la mode... :)

Could be fun. There is also the center to tinker with. Been a long time since I've heard this MC. I recall there being at least occasional interesting surround events occurring, like a train chugging around the room or something?

If there are no interesting events in the MC though, peeps should probably just Specweb a hi-rez audio source and call it a day.

Planning on running repaired fronts thru the Surround Master in Involve mode to generate rears :)

Could be fun. There is also the center to tinker with. Been a long time since I've heard this MC. I recall there being at least occasional interesting surround events occurring, like a train chugging around the room or something?

If there are no interesting events in the MC though, peeps should probably just Specweb a hi-rez audio source and call it a day.

The centre 'just' needs a big level boost imho.. the train chugs around the room somewhat in the title track yeah, I'll keep that effect if poss.
It'll be a labour of love for sure.. but when you love someone/thing its slightly less of a chore..

This one's worth keeping the centre for imho, just level-matched to the other channels as much as poss. would be my aim.
I might not get around to it this year though, deaths hit pretty hard.

I briefly spoke to Mr. Visconti when he visited Phoenixville PA while on tour with Holy Holy. He confirmed that Lodger in 5.1 is in coming.

Cheers, Michael

Hi all,

I'm still trying to process the loss of this great man, but in doing so, I thought I might try and flesh out my Bowie 5.1 collection, which currently stands at 1 disc (Ziggy DVD-V) and so I thought I'd do a bit of research on what was officially available. This is what I've come up with so far, so if I've missed anything, be it title or format, please feel free to add :)

The Rise & Fall of Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars (SACD/DVD-V)
Young Americans (DVD-V)
Reality (DVD-V DualDisc/SACD)
Heathen (SACD)
David Live (DVD-A/V)
Stage (DVD-A/V)
Station to Station (DVD-V as part of box set)

Have I missed anything?

Glass Spider Tour (dvd)
Serious Moonlight Tour (dvd)
Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars-Movie (dvd)
VH1 LIVE ' 99 (cd/dvd)

I also have a "demo" copy of an SQ mix of the Serious Moonlight tour, lifted from the LaserDisc, knocking about somewhere ;)

Back