Oppo 205 for HD quality 5.1 audio from streaming

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt I could hear the difference in the DACs anyway (maybe the 103 vs. the 205), and I agree, better speakers are usually where the most improvement can come from.
I hear the difference mostly on headphones, my trusty Sony MDR7056s (or MDR-V6)... especially the new MOTU 828es vs the old 828MkII, the vinyl rips on the new one sound SILKYYYYYYY...

I have a 103D and it sounds great. I also have a 205 and have never heard a 105. Yes, they are different DACs with different implementation, especially stereo wise with the dedicated stereo outs, but I rarely get hung up on such things. Speaker upgrades compared to DAC differences excite me, not DACs at this point.
Yeah, fair point. I guess I should have clarified about it having a DAC that I would consider as good as my AVR DAC.

I'm sure all Oppo products have a decent DAC though...

Yeah, fair point. I guess I should have clarified about it having a DAC that I would consider as good as my AVR DAC.

I'm sure all Oppo products have a decent DAC though...

I'm using 203 analogs into my old pioneer avr ; when using my Sony x800 coax out into my pioneer...yes there's a subtle difference compared to oppo 203 analogs...but not that great of a difference...I guess my old ass pioneer avr is pretty damn musical...it's from 2006....so dacs I'm not so sure...I mean the 203 is a 2018 model ya know
The benefit of the oppo s are those 7.1 analog outs... No other current players can be used w older avr s as there All now doing HDMI only.

Last edited:
I’m certain the 103’s have better DACs than a DVR. Oppo built their units for audio listening as well as video playback. I bought a 103D for movies since new, but recently purchased a used 105D for music listening. I could absolutely tell the difference between the 103 and the 105 DAC. There’s plenty written on the differences between the two of your interested. The ESS Sabre32 DAC in the 105 is also an outboard DAC, which allows you to hook up a digital input (TOS or coax or USB) and play through the DAC as if it were a standalone DAC. You select the digital input using the remote. This feature alone should account for some of the 105 premium if your shopping. I’m use either the Oppo or a 5 disc changer feeding the Oppo DAC to listen to music. If shopping for one, consider the 105D, it has DSD digital streaming capability.
For shopping I’ve had good luck on Audiomart, there’s feedback therefor sellers and they often list their eBay handle as well.
Other options are Reverb or Audiogon.

Question for Oppo 105 users
I'm considering purchase of a back up Oppo player. I play several hundred home brewed DVD-A. These discs and DSOTM quad will not play on my Sony X-800.
I currently own an Oppo 203 but am a little paranoid that at some point Oppo will no longer repair these.
I use HDMI out on the Oppo. My AVR doesn't have analog inputs. The parametric EQ on my AVR is able to individually adjust each output channel. Plus I get room correction and bass management.
I can't see any reason I would ever use analog outputs on my back up player or value a player with a better DAC.

So the question is: Should I purchase a used Oppo 105 or 103.

Due to the scarcity and cost of the 05's...the 103 is a great choice....right now they are reasonably priced and a decent supply...if you have super sniper skills on Ebay... the second listing is a new unit...but there are 31 people watching...if you win the last 10 seconds of an auction..you are indeed a super sniper (y)

Due to the scarcity and cost of the 05's...the 103 is a great choice....right now they are reasonably priced and a decent supply...if you have super sniper skills on Ebay... the second listing is a new unit...but there are 31 people watching...if you win the last 10 seconds of an auction..you are indeed a super sniper (y)

Well I've tried the fleabay auctions for over a month now shooting for a zektor switch w NO luck...snagged away from my grasp at least 3 -4 times in those last 20-30 seconds..,giving up f*ck it...I'll buy one outright or I've found a couple of rca passive switches that will work for a lot cheaper than a zektor switch

And I really hope a lot of these oppo flippers that are after BIG $$$ asking 3-5K for a $1300 4-7 year old machine don't sell and end up eating the thing!

GREED...disgusted by it

Well I've tried the fleabay auctions for over a month now shooting for a zektor switch w NO luck...snagged away from my grasp at least 3 -4 times in those last 20-30 seconds..,giving up f*ck it...I'll buy one outright or I've found a couple of rca passive switches that will work for a lot cheaper than a zektor switch

And I really hope a lot of these oppo flippers that are after BIG $$$ asking 3-5K for a $1300 4-7 year old machine don't sell and end up eating the thing!

GREED...disgusted by it

GIXEN - Free eBay Auction Sniper

I still say if you can find an Oppo 103 on eBay for under $400 (which I’ve seen several sell in the mid $300 range lately); it’s a f***n’ steal. And I believe they have apps that the 20xs don’t have.

I had suddenly developed an interest in the current market prices of Oppo 103's....this is an interesting listing...at 2pm(EST) it was $338.33...the auction is over in 2 hours (5:11EST)...there are 35 watchers on the listing....this ought to be a blood bath the last 10 seconds....who has the best sniper? The seller in this listing has never sold anything on Ebay...he only joined a little over a month ago...probably joined to sell this Oppo...

I had suddenly developed an interest in the current market prices of Oppo 103's....this is an interesting listing...at 2pm(EST) it was $338.33...the auction is over in 2 hours (5:11EST)...there are 35 watchers on the listing....this ought to be a blood bath the last 10 seconds....who has the best sniper? The seller in this listing has never sold anything on Ebay...he only joined a little over a month ago...probably joined to sell this Oppo...
Yeah, that looks like a good one Clint, shipping to my area on the west coast is around $44.00 standard so by the time somebody snipes it I'd bet it's closer to $400+ total when all is done - we'll see!

GREED...disgusted by it
Good grief! I can't remember how much I paid for my new 203 when I got it. But I paid about £250 for my second hand 103 about 3+ish years ago. Surely Oppo can see it could make money if it reintroduces the players, sadly doubt if that will happen.

Good grief! I can't remember how much I paid for my new 203 when I got it. But I paid about £250 for my second hand 103 about 3+ish years ago. Surely Oppo can see it could make money if it reintroduces the players, sadly doubt if that will happen.

IMO they were smart to get out of the market...when they did...the disc market days are numbered:(

IMO they were smart to get out of the market...when they did...the disc market days are numbered:(

Imo they should have at least made more...even if they had to raise prices...shit they had THOUSANDS of people wanting to buy...I know I was on that end list for a 205...told slim chance of being able to get one cuz thousands ahead of me!

This one looked really good. All the original equipment & packaging included. I couldn't resist !!!
$430 + shipping and tax

Back