Oppo 205 for HD quality 5.1 audio from streaming

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question for Oppo 105 users
I'm considering purchase of a back up Oppo player. I play several hundred home brewed DVD-A. These discs and DSOTM quad will not play on my Sony X-800.
I currently own an Oppo 203 but am a little paranoid that at some point Oppo will no longer repair these.
I use HDMI out on the Oppo. My AVR doesn't have analog inputs. The parametric EQ on my AVR is able to individually adjust each output channel. Plus I get room correction and bass management.
I can't see any reason I would ever use analog outputs on my back up player or value a player with a better DAC.

So the question is: Should I purchase a used Oppo 105 or 103.

I'm considering purchase of a back up Oppo player. I play several hundred home brewed DVD-A. These discs and DSOTM quad will not play on my Sony X-800.
I currently own an Oppo 203 but am a little paranoid that at some point Oppo will no longer repair these.
I use HDMI out on the Oppo. My AVR doesn't have analog inputs. The parametric EQ on my AVR is able to individually adjust each output channel. Plus I get room correction and bass management.
I can't see any reason I would ever use analog outputs on my back up player or value a player with a better DAC.

Just did a quick search on eBay; looks like the 103s are selling around $400 for "working" units; but there are very few 105s bringing a huge premium at around $1200-$1500. Guess it depends on how much you want to spend; and check the specs closely and especially the comments of the sellers (one I saw said the HDMI on the 103 wasn't working.) I'd even e-mail sellers with specific condition questions. Also, if it's auction sale, prices could end up much higher.
*Sorry I'm on a 205 thread, and they're going for several thousand! :eek:

Just did a quick search on eBay; looks like the 103s are selling around $400 for "working" units; but there are very few 105s bringing a huge premium at around $1200-$1500. Guess it depends on how much you want to spend; and check the specs closely and especially the comments of the sellers (one I saw said the HDMI on the 103 wasn't working.) I'd even e-mail sellers with specific condition questions. Also, if it's auction sale, prices could end up much higher.
*Sorry I'm on a 205 thread, and they're going for several thousand! :eek:

When I buy on Ebay the seller is just as important to ME as the price...I'll pay more to go with an established seller with good feedback.

First off thank you for this thread.
I think issues like these are what led @MidiMagic to say, "No more formats!"
I think the complexity and uncertain interoperability is one reason (but not the only one) why many folks don't bother.
On the one hand you have the recording engineer. On the playback end you practically need to be an engineer to make it all work.

When I buy on Ebay the seller is just as important to ME as the price...I'll pay more to go with an established seller with good feedback.

Ebay sides with the buyer. I paid $288 shipped no remote, for my 103D. Not much feedback. If you can get one less than $100 of what you expect to pay, it is worth it between the ebay policy and that Oppo will fix them for $100. I use a Craigslist app for local deals and ebay alerts for other deals like Oppo players.

I've never purchased anything on Craigslist, if you lived by the seller and could examine it would be fine.

Not local but will keep an eye out. The deal I linked has been up for a little over 24 hours. Another Craigslist post is a guy in search of a 203 which is a tougher get.

Well we know the Sony x800 doesn't like dsotn quad...going forward
Ya got pioneer Yamaha Sony various models...ALL of them use only hdmi so maybe check out the pioneer models...with Sony it's gotta be the chipset they use.,,maybe the higher $$$model might work
Yamaha older 1040 model I think may do dvda... not sure but if buying a newer player I'd probably check out pioneer 1K price tag...ouch

Ebay sides with the buyer. I paid $288 shipped no remote, for my 103D. Not much feedback. If you can get one less than $100 of what you expect to pay, it is worth it between the ebay policy and that Oppo will fix them for $100. I use a Craigslist app for local deals and ebay alerts for other deals like Oppo players.

I've sold on Ebay and I only had one dispute and I just "rolled over"and gave the guy what he wanted to keep my record intact...I wonder how much longer Oppo will keep repairing units..I wouldn't buy one that I knew had problems...assuming that you could get it fixed by Oppo...

I'd get the 103...and I'd do it now before they aren't around anymore

I'd have bought a 205 new if I'd known Oppo were withdrawing from the market. But I never knew, and by the time I considered buying one I suddenly found they were stupidly priced used.

I think getting a 103 would be a good solution if you're not needing 1) 4k, 2) the DAC, and 3) the multichannel analog outputs. However, I will present one reason I like to have the 105/ 205 (I consider myself very lucky to have one of each). My AVR will allow me to watch DirecTV, Apple TV, or my media PC via HDMI, but select either 1) Analog (2 Channel) or 2) 7.1 Analog as the audio source. It's kinda nice to be able to watch sports games or even YouTube or PC visualizations along with the audio content coming out of the Oppo. I use Tidal and/ or Qobuz for HiRes 2 Channel streaming via the Roon app thru the Oppo USB Audio input to output stereo content through the Oppo's DAC. Alternatively, I can do the same with multichannel content coming directly out of the Oppo via the 7.1 analog outputs. I love the flexibility with this setup, but I understand why this would be superfluous to many.

I think getting a 103 would be a good solution if you're not needing 1) 4k, 2) the DAC, and 3) the multichannel analog outputs. However, I will present one reason I like to have the 105/ 205 (I consider myself very lucky to have one of each). My AVR will allow me to watch DirecTV, Apple TV, or my media PC via HDMI, but select either 1) Analog (2 Channel) or 2) 7.1 Analog as the audio source. It's kinda nice to be able to watch sports games or even YouTube or PC visualizations along with the audio content coming out of the Oppo. I use Tidal and/ or Qobuz for HiRes 2 Channel streaming via the Roon app thru the Oppo USB Audio input to output stereo content through the Oppo's DAC. Alternatively, I can do the same with multichannel content coming directly out of the Oppo via the 7.1 analog outputs. I love the flexibility with this setup, but I understand why this would be superfluous to many.
The 103 has 7.1 analog outputs; unless you're referring to something else :unsure:

Right, but are the DACs the same on the 103s and 105s?

I have a 103D and it sounds great. I also have a 205 and have never heard a 105. Yes, they are different DACs with different implementation, especially stereo wise with the dedicated stereo outs, but I rarely get hung up on such things. Speaker upgrades compared to DAC differences excite me, not DACs at this point.

I have a 103D and it sounds great. I also have a 205 and have never heard a 105. Yes, they are different DACs with different implementation, especially stereo wise with the dedicated stereo outs, but I rarely get hung up on such things. Speaker upgrades compared to DAC differences excite me, not DACs at this point.
I doubt I could hear the difference in the DACs anyway (maybe the 103 vs. the 205), and I agree, better speakers are usually where the most improvement can come from.

I'd have bought a 205 new if I'd known Oppo were withdrawing from the market. But I never knew, and by the time I considered buying one I suddenly found they were stupidly priced used.

I can't believe hardly any of the big major companies like Sony pioneer etc... are not stepping up to the plate and offering anything even comparable

We need a writing campaign to panasonic... from what I've read their latest bluray player has a great dac...both analog n hdmi...but only does regular discs bluray n dvdv... No sacd no dvda...but if they were to put these 2 formats included it's almost be comparable

Back