New John Lennon collection, remixed in 5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos out in October!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 5.1 version in the Imagine box set did the same thing. I wonder if they re-used all the 2018 Imagine ‘ultimate mixes’ in this new set?

Not precisely relevant to your question, but @EricKalet posted this on the poll thread:
So according to the John Lennon webpage, and now it makes sense why the Imagine tracks do have a different sound quality and mix:

“Mixed and engineered by multi GRAMMY® Award-winning engineer Paul Hicks, who also helmed the mixes for 2018’s universally acclaimed Imagine – The Ultimate Collection series, with assistance by engineer Sam Gannon who also worked on that release, the songs were completely remixed from scratch, using brand new transfers of the original multi-tracks, cleaned up to the highest possible sonic quality.

After weeks of painstaking preparation, the final mixes and effects were completed using only vintage analog equipment and effects at Henson Recording Studios in Los Angeles (formerly A&M Studios, where John had recorded some of the Rock ‘n’ Roll album), and then mastered in analog at Abbey Road Studiosby Alex Wharton in order to ensure the most beautiful and authentic sound quality possible.”

Not precisely relevant to your question, but @EricKalet posted this on the poll thread:

Interesting. I guess this means we now have four unique surround mixes of several tracks from that album ('70s quad mix, 2005 Lennon Legend DVD, 2018 Imagine Blu-Ray, 2020 Gimme Some Truth Blu-Ray). Though there's also the raw studio takes from 2018 set, so it's really more than four...

Interesting. I guess this means we now have four unique surround mixes of several tracks from that album ('70s quad mix, 2005 Lennon Legend DVD, 2018 Imagine Blu-Ray, 2020 Gimme Some Truth Blu-Ray). Though there's also the raw studio takes from 2018 set, so it's really more than four...

I'm sure there are surround trivia buffs here who can answer this question--and maybe you're one of them: Would that be some kind of a record?

You won't believe this. I know why the Dolby sounds better to some people. Here's a preview. #9 Dream

These are AS RIPPED. I did not touch any of these levels, this is how Media Helper pulled them out of the MKV file:

DTS-HD
View attachment 57658

DOLBY
View attachment 57659

Do you recall any other releases that also vary this much from format to format?

You won't believe this. I know why the Dolby sounds better to some people. Here's a preview. #9 Dream

These are AS RIPPED. I did not touch any of these levels, this is how Media Helper pulled them out of the MKV file:

DTS-HD
View attachment 57658

DOLBY
View attachment 57659

Geeze...that DTS-HD looks like my last echocardiogram 🤭 there was a very hot nurse in the roomo_O

OK, Here's "Instant Karma". It looks to be a higher amplitude than the Dolby 5.1, but it does not look brickwalled to me. It looks fine.

View attachment 57662
From a ripping standpoint, i wonder if ripping the 7.1 and then combining the surrounds in audacity might be the best option.... hmmmm

Back