Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well a View attachment 67609 and View attachment 67610 from me (they were supposed to be 'video' gifs) the result kind of sums up PF .... sort of working together!

YOU NAILED IT, DUNC!

See the source image

Must he give Roger “the creative genius of Pink Floyd” Waters maximum credit by name every time he talks about anything Roger contributed to the band?
That is exactly how Intellectual Property work. That’s why if you re-record or reproduce something someone else has created the Author is credited. Anyway this is completely out of the thread topic so I will stop this here since everyone is entitled to an opinion and I’m not criticising anyone’s opinion here. Happy days Animals will finally be released in 5.1.

I hope it goes the way of Delicate Sound Of Thunder with several variants: 3LP, 2CD, DVD, Blu-ray or 4 disc boxset.

I think we'll see 4 editions released:
-Single CD edition with the 2018 remix
-Single vinyl edition with the 2018 remix
-Limited edition 4-disc package (featured above)
-Acoustic Sounds Multichannel SACD with the 2018 remix in 5.1 surround & stereo

I'm thinking about how much hype has generated this Animals release in 5.1 and expecting other album releases.

But what about Dolby Atmos? Some more hype for the years to come?

I think it's very plausible that we could see a Dolby Atmos mix of "Dark Side of the Moon" in 2023 for the album's 50th anniversary, that is as long as it doesn't get derailed by Mark Blake's Liner Notes... 😂

Without lots of extras like live stuff, demos, alt takes etc... they are really just milking us 5.1 surround sound fans by only offering the surround mix in this box.

How do you know that the surround mix is only in the box set?
Pink Floyd have made no official announcement yet about the reissue, its contents, and formats.
All indications since 2018 point to a Multichannel SACD release of the "Animals" remix from Acoustic Sounds too.

Roger seems to be taking a beating over his comments on social media and Pink Floyd and music forums.
It didn't seem to have helped his case but at least the fans will finally see this released.

The 2nd part of Roger's post and video (concerning his memoir and the "Money" story) was completely unnecessary IMHO.

I'm thinking about how much hype has generated this Animals release in 5.1 and expecting other album releases.

But what about Dolby Atmos? Some more hype for the years to come?

I'm thinking after one or both dies you'll get Atmos. I will note that Roger uses Atmos on all his newer live recordings including The Wall (which for a live concert has some excellent effects rolled in). I read David Gilmour's Delicate Sound of Thunder had an Atmos mix made (presumably someone might have thought they might show it in some theaters?) but it was nixed for home release as apparently "the masses" don't have such new-fangled tech! :rolleyes:

Personally, I think Roger is right that he was the driving force behind the songs and concept, but David probably made many of the listenable (Roger has a tendency to get too wordy and leave music bits out in favor or words; has anyone heard You Gotta Be Crazy and Raving & Drooling? I believe David said in an interview that was in the biography A Saucerful of Secrets, that he had to strike lines through many of the words as he couldn't get them all in on the final Animals album. Frankly, I'm amazed Amused To Death turned out as well as it did given Roger's behavior, probably because he finally found a band that would let him take all the credit. I mean Roger admitted the band was playing this stirring music when he walked in that became The Ballad of Bill Hubbard, but do you see the band getting credit for the music on the album? Hell no. It was 100% credited to Roger (I guess for "discovering" someone else playing it). That's just the kind of guy Roger is. He hate playing live because David got standing ovations. He now plays some (basic) songs on lead guitar himself during his concerts just to "prove" he can play more than bass guitar. Hell, he played the bit from The Wall on his trumpet on The Wall documentary. LOOK AT ME! I'm the most talented person in the whole wide world! Yet David had to play the fretless guitar parts for Hey You on the actual album (or at least so said an interview)....

It's funny because Roger, Nick and Rick were all architectural students. Only Syd played an actual instrument when they first decided to create a band, which is why early some early songs probably remind me of kids banging on a piano and they got called space names like Interstellar Overdrive....

It's funny because Roger, Nick and Rick were all architectural students. Only Syd played an actual instrument when they first decided to create a band, which is why early some early songs probably remind me of kids banging on a piano and they got called space names like Interstellar Overdrive....

Rick was playing instruments and learning music theory long before heading off to architecture school.

It really is a shame that "Animals" didn't have more visual elements associated with it at the time (like the circular screen films.)
Heck even "The Final Cut" (which I hope will be released in 5.1 surround in either 2022 or 2023) has the 4-song video EP as a visual accompaniment for the album.

But of course, next up after "Animals" is "The Wall" and the sooner we get "Animals" out, the sooner they can turn their attention to the Wall's release in 5.1 surround, this time with all three of them agreeing not to include liner notes this time! 😂

I think we'll see 4 editions released:
-Single CD edition with the 2018 remix
-Single vinyl edition with the 2018 remix
-Limited edition 4-disc package (featured above)
-Acoustic Sounds Multichannel SACD with the 2018 remix in 5.1 surround & stereo
No - it is because the liner notes were typed in Ariel 10 font which Dave believes revels too much of the mythological origins of the releases and which Roger thinks does not provide him with enough credit. ;)

I hope so but if the SACD is delayed or not announced right away it forces/tempts us to buy the 4 disc set, just in case

As someone pointed out on another forum, David could have also been truthfully responding based on his work on the remake of Money for the A Great Collection Of Dance Songs compilation which had just come out. Roger is awful.

I wondered about that possibility, because it would make some sense. I went looking for this interview to check, but the references I can find to a 1982 Gilmour interview published in Musician do not include this anecdote. As it is, the demo that Roger recorded at home was not what ended up on the original album either, so I'm not sure what bringing that up had to do with anything.

The liner notes were rightfully removed. There's nothing interesting in there, and it's too much like a record review rather than actual liner notes. I'd prefer something similar to what was done for the "Is There Anybody Out There" release.

I am thankful that Gilmour has kept silent about this dispute, because I don't think him speaking up would do anything but make the whole situation even less tolerable. In short, nobody cares, just release the damn thing.

EDIT - the video is a lot less...accusatory. He states Gilmour objected to the liner notes out of a desire that Pink Floyd remain "enigmatic". That's a lot more charitable than saying Gilmour is trying to hide the truth. Oh well.

Last edited:
Back