George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" (5.1 & Dolby Atmos remixes coming soon!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hoping this shows up on Apple Music streaming. Box set price is too steep for me as I have only a casual interest in this album.
Yes, it seems that standalone, new 5.1 releases are few and far between; especially when it comes to these classic albums. Well, all things must pass. (Oh, I can hear the groooooooans out there.) :bowing:

I would certainly like this, but in light of the most recent Lennon releases (GST, POB) with very underwhelming surround mixes, and the cost of this release, I'm waiting for reviews of the mix. My suspicion this is going to be very underwhelming as well.

Virtually anything will be an improvement over the latest runs of redbook CD's.

I would certainly like this, but in light of the most recent Lennon releases (GST, POB) with very underwhelming surround mixes, and the cost of this release, I'm waiting for reviews of the mix. My suspicion this is going to be very underwhelming as well.

The post-Mind Games material on GST proved that Hicks does 'get' 5.1 to some extent--there's actually a lot of isolated elements in the rear speakers during those songs--but the overabundance of bass and lack of rear activity on the POB remixes left me disappointed. I can't help feeling a bit skeptical about this one given the age of the material and original production style.

The post-Mind Games material on GST proved that Hicks does 'get' 5.1 to some extent--there's actually a lot of isolated elements in the rear speakers during those songs--but the overabundance of bass and lack of rear activity on the POB remixes left me disappointed. I can't help feeling a bit skeptical about this one given the age of the material and original production style.
Do you think they might be able to tone down the “Spectorization” in the multi tracks? IIRC someone said that Spector embedded the wall-of-sound effect in the multis.

Also, it would be a travesty if the surrounds are just reverb/echo to support the “true to the original” objective.

@ar surround I believe it was discussed in another thread, but yes - it'll have less reverb as heard in the mix from last year:

Seems a combo of not all multis having effects recorded, and new algorithmic reverb remover.

I'm very hopeful; just dreading yet another overstuffed box set for mega bucks 😒

@ar surround I believe it was discussed in another thread, but yes - it'll have less reverb as heard in the mix from last year:

Seems a combo of not all multis having effects recorded, and new algorithmic reverb remover.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Anyone who has concerns might want to listen to the clip you posted, @popshop . It's a really nice mix, and George's vocals are much more prominent than what I recall in the original mix.

When it first was released, I played this album to death on our Magnificent Magnavox console; so much that a family member started saying Hare Krishna every time he saw me. Of course, neither of us had any idea what that meant.

Agreed, seems like less reverb, more compression, and different EQ. The major difference I heard is a more prominent descending two-note vocal ending to "pass" at 2:53. Original version:
2020 version:
Acoustic guitars and background vocals are quieter, and mixed more central too. Like everyone, I'm excited to hear the mix. (More 5.2 than Atmos). It would be a difficult one. Seems like if you just pull all of the instruments apart, you'd lose some of the original glue, yet if you leave everything thing as a front "wall", you'd disappoint all 52 of us here! ;)

It would be a difficult one. Seems like if you just pull all of the instruments apart, you'd lose some of the original glue, yet if you leave everything thing as a front "wall", you'd disappoint all 52 of us here! ;)

I was of the opinion the work they did on the White Album, in keeping its original "dirty" sound, was superb. I was feeling thankful for that from the first listen, was worried it will sound like it's been bleached and was so relieved when I finally heard it. In this case, I really hope they cleaned the hell out of it. The sound of this album is just messy in so many places. There's so much going on that this could be an absolutely amazing surround experience.

This is such awesome news. I look forward to getting this one. I won't spend $150 on every Beatles solo album, but I will on this one.
Yes, this is my favorite of the solo efforts, so I am willing to shell out the bucks. However, @IronWaffle 's blurb says that only the main album will be in 5.1, so I guess that Apple Jam won't be on the Bluray. How am I ever going to live without It's Johnny's Birthday in surround?

Yes, this is my favorite of the solo efforts, so I am willing to shell out the bucks. However, @IronWaffle 's blurb says that only the main album will be in 5.1, so I guess that Apple Jam won't be on the Bluray. How am I ever going to live without It's Johnny's Birthday in surround?
I thought Apple Jam was always part of the album, it’s a 3 LP set for crying out loud, it’s part of it.

Back