More Gentle Giant in 5.1 coming - Free Hand, Interview and The Missing Piece

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds fantastic, but for now I wouldn't say it's deserving a 10 in Atmos category of mixes. As a 5.1 is really good, but for any reason I find it lacks something in Atmos (but please don't get discouraged by this very first impression).
I'm still on track 2
There is a big difference in the beggining of the album, from original stereo and Quad mixes to new ones.

The older mixes have loud, bright piano right up front. Thew new mixes have lots of reverb on piano so it is far away/ in background. Quite a departure.

Just arrived, breaking news...
Couldn't resist a VERY quick analysis after ripping with MakeMKV and DAE.
Track: Just the same.
Atmos rips at 48KHz (???). LFE extended bandwith down to roughly 1000 Hz.

You mean 'up to'?

Plenty of discrete sounds (sax) in the extended channels.
The 5.1 mix, following the tradition... Yessss ! Full bandwith in LFE channel ! Meaning pure bass & drums.

:rolleyes:
Is this going to be a new tenet in foolish audiophile religion? It's like saying "Ultraviolet from my TV! YESSSSSS!!!"

The only people who really benefit from mixing LFE like that are musicians who can isolate the LFE channel and use it to learn parts.

On your home system your bass management and/or AVR LPF is going to filter out everything above 80, 120 or 250 Hz. You don't want or need 'pure bass and drums' i.e full range, from your subwoofer (or being doubled in your mains , if you redirect LFE to mains)

You mean 'up to'?

:rolleyes:
Is this going to be a new tenet in foolish audiophile religion? It's like saying "Ultraviolet from my TV! YESSSSSS!!!"

The only people who really benefit from mixing LFE like that are musicians who can isolate the LFE channel and use it to learn parts.

On your home system your bass management and/or AVR LPF is going to filter out everything above 80, 120 or 250 Hz. You don't want or need 'pure bass and drums' i.e full range, from your subwoofer (or being doubled in your mains , if you redirect LFE to mains)
English is not my mother tongue, look up my profile and you won't be even able to guess where I am from and that's OK :)
But I surmise you already understood what I mean.
If not, I meant "up to", but going steeply down to that point. So "down to", if that makes sense...

You are damn right I am a musician.
So please let me indulge in Steve Wilson's choices and allow me to be foolishly happy about it !

If you really meant 'full range bass and drums in LFE, so great for learning parts! Otherwise useless and possibly bad for sound!' I figure you'd write something like that.

If you really meant 'full range bass and drums in LFE, so great for learning parts! Otherwise useless and possibly bad for sound!' I figure you'd write something like that.
AFAIK I was the first one (here and elsewhere) to offer a (crude) first analysis of the mix - just within 1 h I received my copy.
If you prefer to nitpick about my preferences and second guess my intentions, please be my guest.
Next time Steve decides to make the same choices on the LFE channel - that would be the 6th time in a GG release - I swear I will take special consideration not to hurt your feelings.

AFAIK I was the first one (here and elsewhere) to offer a (crude) first analysis of the mix - just within 1 h I received my copy.
If you prefer to nitpick about my preferences and second guess my intentions, please be my guest.
Next time Steve decides to make the same choices on the LFE channel - that would be the 6th time in a GG release - I swear I will take special consideration not to hurt your feelings.

I've had that member on ignore for years, don't sweat him. That is what he does.

Sure. I think it is in progress.
Engineers still learn about it.

My guess is that many of streamed Atmos mixes are lazy mixes and just run through some software like they do with Atmos TV shows that are streamed. That would certainly make them less discreet.

I got mine at my local prog record store today.
IMG_20210628_170531502.jpg

Amazon is restocking. My copy arrives July 13.

I’m starting to worry about my pre-order because of Amazon’s stock issues. My copy still shows as arriving by Thursday (7/1), but it hasn’t actually shipped yet — wondering if I should cancel and look elsewhere. (I did Amazon because I had a bunch of unused credit.)

Back