Reavon Blu-ray DVD-Audio SACD player coming out in Europe.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am unaware! I only have a handful of DVD-As and only OPPOs :)

You have to remember, implementation of MLP DVD~A was only introduced in the late 90's so all DVD players manufactured prior to that date were bare basic players and even after the introduction of MLP DVD~A manufacturers continued to manufacture DVD players without hi res playback ..... which is why all those early MLP DVD~A discs contained DTS/DD 5.1 for 'backward compatibility!'

So in light of the above, can we conclude then that a modern day audiophile claimed Universal player such as advertised by Reavon will very likely be DVD-A MLP compatible? I mean how many modern DVD-A players don't support MLP?

AND, can a DVD-Video only player play DVD-Audio with DTS/DD 5.1 encoding?

So in light of the above, can we conclude then that a modern day audiophile claimed Universal player such as advertised by Reavon will very likely be DVD-A MLP compatible? I mean how many modern DVD-A players don't support MLP?

AND, can a DVD-Video only player play DVD-Audio with DTS/DD 5.1 encoding?
There are very very few new players, universal or otherwise, that play DVD audio (MLP). Its a dead format at this point in time.

Yeah those pictures are a case study on why Oppo went out of business.

The Oppo certainly looks quite bespoke but it's entirely possible the Reavon internals are simply more efficient and off-the-shelf, and in the world of electronics "more bigger stuff inside" != better performance, so measurements would be in order to see if there's a performance gap, or just an aesthetics gap.

Regardless, Reavon is overpricing these things IMO.
Oppo didnā€™t go out of business. It chose to get out of the business...likely because it felt the viability of the quality physical disc player market was dubious.

Itā€™s not the only one.

Then I'm ignorantly pleased I didn't invest in the format.

In the last few months, three DVD~Audio discs were released into the wilds ....... including Mr. Afternoon's wonderful "The Golden Bonana" in MLP DVD~A 5.1.
And of course one of the golden treasures available only on MLP DVD~A 5.1 [and NOT SACD] is the Beatles LOVE album ..... 81 minutes of glorious 5.1 Surround in astounding discrete fidelity!

The good news is theyā€™re not hard to rip if you have a DVD drive.

I find it impossible to rip MLP files from a DVD-A, it always seems to treat the tracks individually rather than as a whole album!

How are you ripping? DVD-Audio extractor is basically the only way. There are several options for the format of the resulting files.

I use dvd-audio extractor but it seems to split the tracks up and put them in the wrong order, maybe itā€™s just the couple iā€™ve tried, if I try to do the hi-res stereo it seems okay

Back