Reavon Blu-ray DVD-Audio SACD player coming out in Europe.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reavon UBR-X100 internal build
Reavon-UBR-X100-Analog.jpg

I thought this info may be of interest. The Reavon does not seem to play DVD Audio.
But does look reasonable. Still not an OPPO 205 though!

Here is the link
https://blog.son-video.com/en/2021/07/reavon-ubr-x200-the-successor-of-oppo/
Audiophile design
Although the video section is the same, when it comes to audio the Reavon UBR-X200 offers more in order to satisfy the demands of both home-theater amateurs and audiophiles. This difference is reflected in its Pure Audio mode, as well as its SACD (DSD and DSF) and audio CD compatibility. To ensure optimal playback of these discs, but also of movie soundtracks, the Reavon UBR-X200 uses carefully selected components usually found in high-end hi-fi equipment. In particular, a toroidal transformer which guarantees very low noise and no electromagnetic interference. Associated with audiophile capacitors, it provides a cleaner and more stable current to the various components which are then able to operate in optimal conditions.

YTZz0-fOGYMY8FgsyCYwm84g1O05ZT9DZdjKqEBC-6ymDqES-QsHXGigV1pbERrk0-qCCaTTWm4bdXs3iQCPeLioI9WVtAEGH_cBs0Afw-sYAjpTJMPVAWgGLtpF2RsY2m7jeGj1
Reavon UBR-X200 Blu-ray player uses a high-quality power supply with a toroidal transformer to provide a stable and pure current to all its components.
At the output of its playback system, the Reavon UBR-X200 sends the signals along the shortest path to Texas Instruments Burr-Brown Audio PCM1690 8-channel DACs. Although they aren’t the most recent, they are still considered to be a reference in the multi-channel DAC market, with a very precise conversion of many formats and, above all, an excellent signal-to-noise ratio. The latter is measured at 113 dB for the Reavon UBR-X200, a level that a lot of hi-fi equipment struggles to reach.

Reavon UBR-X100 internal build
View attachment 70726
Looks like a huge missed opportunity to cram it all in a smaller box like the el cheapo Laser BD player (pictured next to the Sony X800 for side-by-side size comparison):
IMG_20210902_082222_HDR.png
I can't perceive any audio playback differences between the 2 players but there are definitely image differences with the Laser producing either more digital noise or displaying more film grain (so much so sometimes, that I need to use the TV to compensate). Either way, there appears to be more detail displayed from the Laser compared to the Sony. All this from a $100 NZD unit (including shipping from Australia all the way across the ditch).

Looks like a huge missed opportunity to cram it all in a smaller box like the el cheapo Laser BD player (pictured next to the Sony X800 for side-by-side size comparison):
View attachment 70760
I can't perceive any audio playback differences between the 2 players but there are definitely image differences with the Laser producing either more digital noise or displaying more film grain (so much so sometimes, that I need to use the TV to compensate). Either way, there appears to be more detail displayed from the Laser compared to the Sony. All this from a $100 NZD unit (including shipping from Australia all the way across the ditch).

Too bad OPPO couldn't do one last run of their 203 and 205 players and perhaps add HDCD decoding for old times sake!

It seems the demand IS high for their 'statement' 205 player which as we all know is commanding outrageous prices on ebay!

Too bad OPPO couldn't do one last run of their 203 and 205 players and perhaps add HDCD decoding for old times sake!

It seems the demand IS high for their 'statement' 205 player which as we all know is commanding outrageous prices on ebay!
True. Shame that HDCD playback seems to have disappeared. I have a Rotel CD player than can handle it but after 2 years without spinning a CD, it's been retired to the hifi stack in the spare room.

True. Shame that HDCD playback seems to have disappeared. I have a Rotel CD player than can handle it but after 2 years without spinning a CD, it's been retired to the hifi stack in the spare room.

I also have a Rotel with HDCD playback, but like yourself, it has likewise been 'retired....' Went to THE FARM!

Curious whether OPPO could ever implement HDCD playback in their 203/205 units via a WiFi firmware update? Hmmmm!

There were over 5000 HDCD encoded discs produced over the years and I know the ability to decode HDCD is sadly missed!

I thought this info may be of interest. The Reavon does not seem to play DVD Audio.
But does look reasonable. Still not an OPPO 205 though!

Here is the link
https://blog.son-video.com/en/2021/07/reavon-ubr-x200-the-successor-of-oppo/
Audiophile design
Although the video section is the same, when it comes to audio the Reavon UBR-X200 offers more in order to satisfy the demands of both home-theater amateurs and audiophiles. This difference is reflected in its Pure Audio mode, as well as its SACD (DSD and DSF) and audio CD compatibility. To ensure optimal playback of these discs, but also of movie soundtracks, the Reavon UBR-X200 uses carefully selected components usually found in high-end hi-fi equipment. In particular, a toroidal transformer which guarantees very low noise and no electromagnetic interference. Associated with audiophile capacitors, it provides a cleaner and more stable current to the various components which are then able to operate in optimal conditions.

YTZz0-fOGYMY8FgsyCYwm84g1O05ZT9DZdjKqEBC-6ymDqES-QsHXGigV1pbERrk0-qCCaTTWm4bdXs3iQCPeLioI9WVtAEGH_cBs0Afw-sYAjpTJMPVAWgGLtpF2RsY2m7jeGj1
Reavon UBR-X200 Blu-ray player uses a high-quality power supply with a toroidal transformer to provide a stable and pure current to all its components.
At the output of its playback system, the Reavon UBR-X200 sends the signals along the shortest path to Texas Instruments Burr-Brown Audio PCM1690 8-channel DACs. Although they aren’t the most recent, they are still considered to be a reference in the multi-channel DAC market, with a very precise conversion of many formats and, above all, an excellent signal-to-noise ratio. The latter is measured at 113 dB for the Reavon UBR-X200, a level that a lot of hi-fi equipment struggles to reach.
A toroidal XFMR does not guaranty very low noise or interference. There are many other aspects to quality design that affects this. A toroidal XFMR should not be thought of as something fancy or audiophile, just the way it should be done.

The UBR-X100 looks like a pitiful joke based on visual inspection of internal design. It should sell for about $100. The UBR-X 200 is a big jump up based on internal visuals but there's no excuse for not using top flight DAC's in this price range.

A toroidal XFMR does not guaranty very low noise or interference. There are many other aspects to quality design that affects this. A toroidal XFMR should not be thought of as something fancy or audiophile, just the way it should be done.

The UBR-X100 looks like a pitiful joke based on visual inspection of internal design. It should sell for about $100. The UBR-X 200 is a big jump up based on internal visuals but there's no excuse for not using top flight DAC's in this price range.
Whilst the toroidal mains transformer has become very trendy over the past few years they are far from perfect and have several disadvantages over EI cores. One of the biggest ones being their susceptibility (there's a magnetic theory joke for you!) to core saturation - making them especially vulnerable to any DC component on the line.

Yeah those pictures are a case study on why Oppo went out of business.

The Oppo certainly looks quite bespoke but it's entirely possible the Reavon internals are simply more efficient and off-the-shelf, and in the world of electronics "more bigger stuff inside" != better performance, so measurements would be in order to see if there's a performance gap, or just an aesthetics gap.

Regardless, Reavon is overpricing these things IMO.

Yeah those pictures are a case study on why Oppo went out of business.

The Oppo certainly looks quite bespoke but it's entirely possible the Reavon internals are simply more efficient and off-the-shelf, and in the world of electronics "more bigger stuff inside" != better performance, so measurements would be in order to see if there's a performance gap, or just an aesthetics gap.

Regardless, Reavon is overpricing these things IMO.

Did you have an issue with the Oppo performance? Also, I don't get your case study comment? The Oppo was less expensive and high quality so it had a following. Are you saying that if they went cheap to save the customer a few dollars, they would have a better reputation? The only thing I agree with is the overpriced comment...

Back