Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse Of Reason (5.1/Dolby Audio?/UHD & 360 Reality Audio)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the Pink Floyd tax
Yep, that's the bottom line and the same can be said for any supergroup like them.
The record companies are hosing us, same as most of the big box sets. I'm not a collecter, just a music lover and I want the best sounding mixes, specially multich, I can get. Don't need the all the other fluff they stuff in them, in most cases I want just the BluRay with the high res stereo and multich mixes.

We may have an answer now to what Dolby Audio means in the announcements. If it's the same naming as what Apple Music uses, it will simply mean that the existing 5.1 will be added to the streaming platform. This makes sense, as no Atmos is advertised and the suggestion that other albums will follow will eventually mean that the existing 5.1s will also be streamed (Dark Side, WYWH, División Bell, Endless River and perhaps Atom).
This is just my interpretation of the notes, I hope I'm proven wrong, but all pieces fall into place

I'm starting to get confused and really quite concerned over the number of immersive formats out there.
Confused because even with my many years experience in surround sound I'm finding it hard to figure out each ones place in the big scheme of things. Is Sony's 360 really meant mainly as a headphone thing or a home immersive system like Atmos or Auro? So far the only AVR I've seen with built in decoders is Macintosh (that's only one example).
https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/brand/news/MX123-Sony-360-Reality-AudioThe "concerned" part is the most vexing, is the surround industry going to shoot itself in the head again by having such a pile of codex that Joe Sixpack is going to be sent running away screaming the minute he starts looking into things. :mad:
IMHO things are starting to get just silly-stupid.

So will the dvd by 24/96 too or best get the bluray?

We may have an answer now to what Dolby Audio means in the announcements. If it's the same naming as what Apple Music uses, it will simply mean that the existing 5.1 will be added to the streaming platform. This makes sense, as no Atmos is advertised and the suggestion that other albums will follow will eventually mean that the existing 5.1s will also be streamed (Dark Side, WYWH, División Bell, Endless River and perhaps Atom).
This is just my interpretation of the notes, I hope I'm proven wrong, but all pieces fall into place
My interpretation as well. All of the above named albums plus Animals in 5.1 will be (hopefully) coming in 2022 for it's 45th anniversary. The Wall in 5.1 is either in process or completed; I hope if comes out sooner rather than later. If James Guthrie remixes The Final Cut in 5.1 and Waters stops blocking Andy Jackson's Meddle and Obscured by Clouds 5.1 mixes, we could have every album from Atom Heart Mother to the Endless River in surround.

So far the only AVR I've seen with built in decoders is Macintosh (that's only one example).
https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/brand/news/MX123-Sony-360-Reality-Audio...

Interesting. Old news but I had not heard about it. Even older news was the Denon/Marantz announcements for MPEG-H support in their European model receivers back in November 2020. MPEG-H is the codec Sony 360 uses.

I'm starting to get confused and really quite concerned over the number of immersive formats out there.
Confused because even with my many years experience in surround sound I'm finding it hard to figure out each ones place in the big scheme of things. Is Sony's 360 really meant mainly as a headphone thing or a home immersive system like Atmos or Auro?
The "concerned" part is the most vexing, is the surround industry going to shoot itself in the head again by having such a pile of codex that Joe Sixpack is going to be sent running away screaming the minute he starts looking into things. :mad:
IMHO things are starting to get just silly-stupid.

Another way of looking at is don't get hung up on formats/codecs. If you have capable equipment it figures it out and sends multichannel audio out to your speakers. Look at what Apple Music is doing with the recent quad stuff.

I had a friend who was interested in surround but wanted to understand about SACD vs DVD-A way back when. I told him not to worry about it and get a universal player. Just stick whatever disk in and it plays etc.

First of all, I'm assuming that they mean "Dolby Atmos" by Dolby Audio.
2nd, what is UHD?
3rd, it seems that the atmos and 360° will also only be available digitally in treaming services?
I see no mention on the bluray
https://shop.pinkfloyd.com/product/...ason-remixed-updated-br-dvdcd?cp=84221_110183
Hi there
Dolby Audio is NOT the same as Dolby Atmos. Dolby AUDIO is Speaker based - ie directs a sound / channel to a specific speaker. Dolby AUDIO compromises of technologies that use advanced audio formatting and signal processing to provide suposed improved sound. Basically the same as the 5:1 mixes released in the past. Dolby ATMOS was released with the subtitle of "feel every dimension". Dolby ATMOS is FAR more immersive and lets you feel that the sound is moving all around you - it is positional 3D based and adds an overhead dimension to the sound. Dolby ATMOS creates a compelling, moving entertainment experience and imo, is soooo good when music uses it properly. Where you have a proper Atmos set-up with overhead speakers, I honestly believe Atmos music is a game changer. The Steven Wilson album The Future Bites is just incredible in Atmos. Apple Music is strongly pushing Atmos with it's streaming & new albums are being added in Atmos weekly. It's such a shame that AMLOR is in Dolby Audio rather than Atmos although I'm sure they'll re-release it in future in Atmos (I hope). Also, I spotted just last night that The Division Bell, The Endless River, & the 2020 version of Delicate Sound of Thunder are also now streaming on Apple Music in Dolby Audio.

Hi there
Dolby Audio is NOT the same as Dolby Atmos. Dolby AUDIO is Speaker based - ie directs a sound / channel to a specific speaker. Dolby AUDIO compromises of technologies that use advanced audio formatting and signal processing to provide suposed improved sound. Basically the same as the 5:1 mixes released in the past. Dolby ATMOS was released with the subtitle of "feel every dimension". Dolby ATMOS is FAR more immersive and lets you feel that the sound is moving all around you - it is positional 3D based and adds an overhead dimension to the sound. Dolby ATMOS creates a compelling, moving entertainment experience and imo, is soooo good when music uses it properly. Where you have a proper Atmos set-up with overhead speakers, I honestly believe Atmos music is a game changer. The Steven Wilson album The Future Bites is just incredible in Atmos. Apple Music is strongly pushing Atmos with it's streaming & new albums are being added in Atmos weekly. It's such a shame that AMLOR is in Dolby Audio rather than Atmos although I'm sure they'll re-release it in future in Atmos (I hope). Also, I spotted just last night that The Division Bell, The Endless River, & the 2020 version of Delicate Sound of Thunder are also now streaming on Apple Music in Dolby Audio.

Thanks for clearing that up. It has been cleared for me for a month prolly, since Apple Music incorporated it :p

Hi there
Welcome to the forum

Poll is up (since this mix has been out for almost two years now anyway...)
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...omentary-lapse-of-reason-blu-ray-audio.31355/
:)
I saw the poll today and realised I had forgotten to order this one. I thought I would try one of the local shops to see if they had it in stock (very rare in Tasmania in my experience). Well, for a change, they did. It's a big week for me as far as surround sound goes. Let it Be and Time Passages arrived by post this week. I really wanted this album in surround but was not going to buy the original boxset it came in due to the faulty disc debacle of the Early years set.

It’s way too expensive! Over A$100….I’ll wait to pick it up at a reasonable price, around A$50! ( I picked up the 2CD/2BD deluxe box set of Pompeii for A$60!). I just think the asking price of this new surround is ridiculous. 🎶🎸😎
Especially since the mix itself and especially the fidelity is pretty poor by PF standards.

Back