KISS "Destroyer" Box Set with Blu-Ray (Steven Wilson 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes out soon!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a fan of 90° X/Y, in general, for stereo pairs, including drum overheads. A lot easier to accomplish with small diaphragms.
Right on.
I usually go for approach from front left diagonal with snare center, floor left, and racks right. Snare absolutely centered, kick also if possible. Adjust to the particular setup as applies.

I will not buy this because it doesn’t come with vinyl. So, how can it be a Super Deluxe Edition let alone a regular Deluxe Edition? 😄
Damn, I'm a sucker. Went ahead and bought it on Amazon, and then went to Walmart.com to buy the vinyl for $37 to make my own Super Super Deluxe Version. ;)

I guess I'm the perfect customer target for these super-expensive releases. Bought the Moving Pictures release at full price. But of course I missed the TFF Tipping Point exclusive by about 45 minutes. The only one of the lot that was an actual bargain!

Damn, I'm a sucker. Went ahead and bought it on Amazon, and then went to Walmart.com to buy the vinyl for $37 to make my own Super Super Deluxe Version. ;)

I guess I'm the perfect customer target for these super-expensive releases. Bought the Moving Pictures release at full price. But of course I missed the TFF Tipping Point exclusive by about 45 minutes. The only one of the lot that was an actual bargain!
Nice! But, to me, the vinyl sucks monkey balls.

I picked up a 'Very Good' copy from Amazon for around $148.62 - which had some tears in the shrink wrap, but that was all.

Can anyone help me with a problem I'm having playing this? I can play Atmos movies no problem, but with this disc, I'm pretty sure I'm not hearing it the way it's meant to be. For instance Gene's 'Get Ups' are buried way back in the mix, and even worse the twin guitar solo is barely audible.
I do only have a 5.1.2 system, so wonder if that's the problem, but if it can cope with blu ray movies, why not this?
I've checked the settings on my Oppo 203, and it's set to bitstream, and my receiver, Onkyo TX NR 686,is showing Atmos when the disc is playing.
When I switch the sound mode from Atmos to 'All Channel Stereo' the missing sounds appear.
The problem occurs on the other two surround mixes as well.
Any advice appreciated.

My very quick knee jerk says.....Gene's "Get Up" is very pronounced in the rear heights. Easily audible. Not sure about which twin guitars you speak of. I do hear what I assume are twin guitar at the 4 minute mark. They are not as pronounced as the Get UP parts.

Can anyone help me with a problem I'm having playing this? I can play Atmos movies no problem, but with this disc, I'm pretty sure I'm not hearing it the way it's meant to be. For instance Gene's 'Get Ups' are buried way back in the mix, and even worse the twin guitar solo is barely audible.
I do only have a 5.1.2 system, so wonder if that's the problem, but if it can cope with blu ray movies, why not this?
I've got a 5.1.2 system as well, for me the backing vocals and twin guitar solos in "Detroit Rock City" appear quite loudly in just the rear speakers on the DTS-HD 5.1 mix. On the Atmos mix, they seem less isolated and considerably lower in volume.

I've checked the settings on my Oppo 203, and it's set to bitstream, and my receiver, Onkyo TX NR 686,is showing Atmos when the disc is playing.
When I switch the sound mode from Atmos to 'All Channel Stereo' the missing sounds appear.
Any advice appreciated.
I would check your AVR settings. It could be that your setup thinks you have 4 height speakers instead of 2, or that you maybe have your speakers connected to the wrong terminals? Just speculating. What AVR do you have?

Back