Tears for Fears Tipping Point Blu Ray audio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say VAT discussion and EU taxes would be off topic. Let's curtail that, please. Also a reminder that politics, including jokes relating to the current war in Europe, are not allowed on QQ.

I would say VAT discussion and EU taxes would be off topic. Let's curtail that, please. Also a reminder that politics, including jokes relating to the current war in Europe, are not allowed on QQ.
Aye-aye, Skipper.
But help me out.
Politics, I get.

But this is not a poll thread subject to the Poll Thread Purity Vigilantes?

Would you suggest yet another thread be created (by any member, not a mod) a la the Hoffman Forum?
Tears for Fears Tipping Point Blu Ray, Price and Shipping discussion only

Appreciate your efforts, 'nuff respect every time, as the Rastaman says. 🇯🇲

We are working to keep threads everywhere on QQ on-topic, this is very much not just something for the poll threads. We do ask that those poll threads are a lot more laser focused on the release itself and the content. But we also still ask people to stay on topic in any thread, using QQ guidelines and the original post as a way of knowing what's fair game to discuss. I think this thread is fine for the blu ray itself, the content, the ordering and shipping, but VAT and taxes might be a step too far. Remember, these are not the Hoffman forums, we are focused on music in surround.

We are working to keep threads everywhere on QQ on-topic, this is very much not just something for the poll threads. We do ask that those poll threads are a lot more laser focused on the release itself and the content. But we also still ask people to stay on topic in any thread, using QQ guidelines and the original post as a way of knowing what's fair game to discuss. I think this thread is fine for the blu ray itself, the content, the ordering and shipping, but VAT and taxes might be a step too far. Remember, these are not the Hoffman forums, we are focused on music in surround.
Then again, since this release was exclusive to just one retailer, who's located outside of EU and was a big part of the discussion since the beginning, I think it's not unreasonable to expect logistics, VAT and pricing to be brought up in such a case, especially considering somewhat unusual practices of said seller.

That said, I won't be mentioning this again, per your wishes.

It’s definitely a fair point and request...but we’re 25 pgs into this thread and it is hard to remember that it has such a narrow focus when the thread title is simply “Tears for Fears Tipping Point Blu Ray audio”.

Finally got around to listening to the 5.1 mix vs, Atmos on the Blu Ray and holy hell, the 5.1 is night and day better. It’s almost seems there are phase issues going on in the Atmos mix after listening to the 5.1, or something is off with the transfer.…..got to be

Finally got around to listening to the 5.1 mix vs, Atmos on the Blu Ray and holy hell, the 5.1 is night and day better. It’s almost seems there are phase issues going on in the Atmos mix after listening to the 5.1, or something is off with the transfer.…..got to be
The 5.1 mix is louder. I have quickly compared the two (5.1 and Atmos) now, and I had to raise the volume for the Atmos mix between 4.5 and 6dB, depending on the track. A quick look at the spectrogram tells me there are minor EQ differences.

When level-matched, the two mixes sound indeed different, but I would expect so since the Atmos uses more channels. There are many elements that are in the rear channels in the 5.1, but are spread on the top speakers and rear speakers in the Atmos. I also had the feeling it sounds less present, perhaps more veiled, but I guess it's the way it was mixed and, perhaps, it is just more cranckable. Raise the volume and see if you like the more immersive experience?

All I want to say is that these are different mixes, and if they sound different it might not be an error, just a mixing choice. Which one sounds better, well, it's for us to pick!

It would be great to hear other opinions on this comparison.
I have to confess that when the disc arrived, I went straight to the Atmos mix, ignoring the 5.1 They are two different experiences for sure.
I never listen to any other mix if there's an Atmos mix on the disc, see no reason for me to do that as I buy it for the Atmos. :cool:

I never listen to any other mix if there's an Atmos mix on the disc, see no reason for me to do that as I buy it for the Atmos. :cool:
Same here, that's what I do.
In this case, since other forum members have mentioned there is a difference, I was curious and wanted to know more.

I agree. I have heard 2 copies now and the Atmos mix has much less lower frequnecies, even when turned up 6db to level match. The programmed kick drums have no impact. It is night and day.

I don't adopt this approach quite yet. For one, mixing in Atmos is young still, certainly not as mature as 5.1. In my opinion, for example, The Future Bites is better in 5.1 than Atmos. Second, there is a resolution limitation. I'm not one of "those" audiophiles who believes everything has to be 96kHz, but I can tell the difference on some of the mixes.

I think it's important to listen to both and make a decision on which you prefer, as it's not so obvious that Atmos is automatically "better".

That said, I do prefer the Atmos mix of The Tipping Point.

I don't adopt this approach quite yet. For one, mixing in Atmos is young still, certainly not as mature as 5.1. In my opinion, for example, The Future Bites is better in 5.1 than Atmos. Second, there is a resolution limitation. I'm not one of "those" audiophiles who believes everything has to be 96kHz, but I can tell the difference on some of the mixes.

I think it's important to listen to both and make a decision on which you prefer, as it's not so obvious that Atmos is automatically "better".

To me more channels are always better. I have never and will not ever listen to a 5.1 mix on a disc if there's an Atmos to choose. I may try to up mix a 5.1 mix, with Dolby Surround or Neural:X if there's not an Atmos mix on a disc, now that I can with my new receiver. :cool:

Last edited:

There are so few Atmos releases with a dedicated 5.1 mix that it doesn't matter much at this point.
I would be surprised if much effort went into these. There is an option in the Atmos mixing software to output a 5.1 mix. My guess it that is what is used most of the time. The Tipping Point may be different, and more effort was used for the 5.1 mix.

Back