Unlock your OPPO Blu-ray player for all DVD regions!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a little confused reading this thread. I am about to purchase an Oppo 203.

1) Do I need to install a certain chip to make it "region free" and jailbroke?

in addition,

2) Do I need to use some certain software to make it "region free" and jailbroke, if so what brand and title of software as I see many advertised.
Which ones work and which ones are scams?

3) Do I need differing solutions depending on type media I am trying to play?
Ie, SACD, DVD, Bluray etc?

I'm a little confused reading this thread. I am about to purchase an Oppo 203.

1) Do I need to install a certain chip to make it "region free" and jailbroke?

in addition,

2) Do I need to use some certain software to make it "region free" and jailbroke, if so what brand and title of software as I see many advertised.
Which ones work and which ones are scams?

3) Do I need differing solutions depending on type media I am trying to play?
Ie, SACD, DVD, Bluray etc?

I don't really know, though I've had a stock 203 for years, and I've never found a title it won't play. But, that's just me.

"Jailbreaking" an Oppo is usually to allow .iso play over the network function. That requires a firmware change. You can check out oppo-jb.com. that is where I got the firmware and instructions to jailbreak my 103. In my case it required purchasing a few minor items off Amazon and flashing through the firmware port inside. I don't recall if the 203/205 have a solution for flashing through the USB port but you can go to the site and read up or ask them questions.

For example I can play .iso's of SACD/DVD/DVDA/BD over my home network through the network function of the Oppo. It will display a DVDA menu just like you had shoved a disc in the drawer.

DVD region free requires using the Oppo Super Disc which you blow to CD-R and stick in the drive.

Blu Ray region/zone free requires a hardware plugin board. Many blu rays are region free anyway, I got away for years without needing blu ray region free player. But The Expanse Season 4 on Blu Ray is region A only, despite seasons 1 to 3 being region free, and my Oppo 95 is a UK region B device. So I bought the board from the Netherlands, and Brexit virtually doubled the price.

Last edited:
DVD region free requires using the Oppo Super Disc which you blow to CD-R and stick in the drive.

Blu Ray region/zone free requires a hardware plugin board. Many blu rays are region free anyway, I got away for years without needing blu ray region free player. But The Expanse Season 4 on Blu Ray is region 1 only, despite seasons 1 to 3 being region free, and my Oppo 95 is a UK region 2 device. So I bought the board from the Netherlands, and Brexit virtually doubled the price.
Well with my firmware I don't need any further changes.

@Quadguywayback if you think jailbreaking your Oppo is something you might want to do, you can look on the oppo-jb.com site at what jailbreaking will allow the player to do. Plus they have a youtube tutorial that walks you through the setup so you can see what all is involved beforehand.

You WILL have to remove the cover from the unit and locate the firmware flash port, they will show you all the steps and what is needed and you can decide if this is something you can handle. Plus they are available to answer questions by phone. I had a question and the guy got back to me within the hour (he was at lunch).

Basically you use a USB to UART adapter to "talk" to the flash port, something you can buy off Amazon for about 8 bucks. They will show you exactly what you will need.
You will have to have a laptop or a pc close by within reach of a USB cable. I just lugged my 103 and set it on a chair in front of my pc.
Anyway the setup for the 203/205 is basically similar to what I did for my 103, took about maybe 30 minutes total if that.

I own a 203 and installed a board to make it universal. Had a tech friend install it and was easy as pie. I originally thought the player came that way. I occasionally buy a foreign disc (“Malena” from South Korea uncut for one example) and it plays fine and flawlessly. I think I invested $100 for the board.

I own a 203 and installed a board to make it universal. Had a tech friend install it and was easy as pie. I originally thought the player came that way. I occasionally buy a foreign disc (“Malena” from South Korea uncut for one example) and it plays fine and flawlessly. I think I invested $100 for the board.
yes, I found it very easy to install. Take the cover off, plug the board in (mine came with an adhesive label to attach the board to the bottom of the player so it would not move about), put the case back on and turn the player on. I bought the board from the Netherlands if my memory serves me correctly.

So, it sounds like I can either go with a software fix or a hardware fix.

Thanks for the leads on the software options. I will look at those.

For those mentioning a hardware mod, can you tell me where to source the hardware, brand, web link or other?

Best, Thanks again.

At the risk of stating the obvious, if the only thing someone needs to work around is region coding, ripping to MKV is free.

Though I'm fuzzy on what happens if the disc in question is infected with Cinavia.

I bought my Oppo 205 model in Oz before they went OOP, and the dealer did an internal multi-region hack (for extra money) to read my non-region DVDs and Blu-rays before they sent it to me. If the Region of the disc needs to be changed, I just press a combination of buttons on my remote. But needing to do that is pretty rare.

I value my 203 way too much to undertake any modifications. The fear of irreversibly f’ing it up far outweighs any bennies I can think of.
The JVB Digital one just plugs into a single connector on the main board. They also sell an external version that just plugs into the serial port (for comms) and USB (for power) on the rear panel, hard to see what can be f'd up by that.

Benefits: I can play region A US blu rays, quite a few things are only available on region A. If you're in the US and have a region A player anyway then the need may be less. But I know some of my BBC blu rays are region B coded.

Last edited:
I bought my Oppo 205 model in Oz before they went OOP, and the dealer did an internal multi-region hack (for extra money) to read my non-region DVDs and Blu-rays before they sent it to me. If the Region of the disc needs to be changed, I just press a combination of buttons on my remote. But needing to do that is pretty rare.
Same here in terms of pressing a combination of buttons. It's not necessary for DVDs the player becomes region 0 ie can play all regions. For blu ray I can select regions A, B or C but a lot of blu rays play on all regions anyway (even some that say otherwise on the printed label). But I have some region A only and some region B only blu rays so there's no other way round it (other than ripping the blu rays which I can't be bothered with).

Hello everyone,
I have an OPPO Superdisc.
Will it work for other Mediatek based players like the Cambridge Audio 752BD ?
thanks

You need to find someone who has actually done it. There might be a risk of bricking your player which would be a shame.
The Cambridge 752 has been reported to be a rebadged Oppo and is on the list of players that can rip SACDs. But reprogramming the firmware may not work correctly or at all. If I were you I would find someone who has done and can accurately report on the exact thing. jmo

You could try it on a cheaper Sony BluRay player with a MediaTek chip so that it wouldn't be such a tragedy if it bricked it.

Thanks.
The Cambridge is not an OPPO clone.
Both use the same Mediatek video engine with very similar firmware - menus, functions are close, the OPPO has more streaming functionality.
The audio end is quite different on both.
The Cambridge uses upsampling and Wolfson DACs
OPPO uses direct DACs, no-name in the lower models 103/203, high-end ESS Sabre in the 105/205.

Apologies !
The name escaped me momentarily
However, in the 103 it does produce a very ordinary sounding disc player.
:D

Back