Unlock your OPPO Blu-ray player for all DVD regions!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The jailbreak from Oppo Australia site is the Oppo Super Disc, and it only makes DVD playback region free. It does not make Blu Ray playback region free, but then so many Blu Rays are either Region A or all regions you may not notice anyway.
Ah. Well not really what I'd consider jailbreaking an Oppo, but that's me. I've had the superdisc .iso a long time but never bothered to use it as I never had a need for it..

The jailbreak from Oppo Australia site is the Oppo Super Disc, and it only makes DVD playback region free. It does not make Blu Ray playback region free, but then so many Blu Rays are either Region A or all regions you may not notice anyway.
Here’s what I know. My Italian copy of “Woodstock” is a blu-ray, and it didn’t play in my Oppo 105D until I applied the Australian Jailbreak, and now it plays luke any other blu-ray.

You can draw your own conclusions from that anecdote.

Here’s what I know. My Italian copy of “Woodstock” is a blu-ray, and it didn’t play in my Oppo 105D until I applied the Australian Jailbreak, and now it plays luke any other blu-ray.

You can draw your own conclusions from that anecdote.
Hey if you say it I believe it.
I wonder if you put an .iso of either a DVD / DVDA / BD / SACD on a USB stick and put it in the port if the Oppo would play it.
Your call though.

Hey if you say it I believe it.
I wonder if you put an .iso of either a DVD / DVDA / BD / SACD on a USB stick and put it in the port if the Oppo would play it.
Your call though.
The only .iso files I have are the ones I’ve authored, so it’ll just be an experiment to see if it works, not something I intend to do on a regular basis. Those are all in stereo.

I’ve ripped a bunch of “great hits from …” CDs to my NAS (FLAC once I realized what that was), arranged them in folders by performer, and occasionally play them through my Oppo. I usually play MCH stuff from the disc itself, aplthough I have a handful of DSD downloads on a thumb drive.

BTW I don't have a dog in that hunt about the Aussie disc.
The only .iso files I have are the ones I’ve authored, so it’ll just be an experiment to see if it works, not something I intend to do on a regular basis. Those are all in stereo.

I’ve ripped a bunch of “great hits from …” CDs to my NAS (FLAC once I realized what that was), arranged them in folders by performer, and occasionally play them through my Oppo. I usually play MCH stuff from the disc itself, aplthough I have a handful of DSD downloads on a thumb drive.

I'm just relaying my experience with the super disc and it was the opposite. I had the super disc on my 95, it made it DVD region free but not blu ray, and I had to buy a hardware mod. But I have noticed the aussie super disc is a lot larger iso file and it didn't work at all on my parents' 93 so it looks like there are at least two different super discs.

For anyone who's interested... The SuperDisc .iso file I burned onto a CD-R (using ImgBurn) and installed on both of my OPPO's was only 62KB. It contains the following files: -

SerperDisc.PNG

Cheers

I'm just relaying my experience with the super disc and it was the opposite. I had the super disc on my 95, it made it DVD region free but not blu ray, and I had to buy a hardware mod. But I have noticed the aussie super disc is a lot larger iso file and it didn't work at all on my parents' 93 so it looks like there are at least two different super discs.
Does a 95 play blu-rays? I thought you needed to be in the 100 series for that, and 200 series for UHD.

Does a 95 play blu-rays? I thought you needed to be in the 100 series for that, and 200 series for UHD.
The new feature for the 93/95 was it plays 3D blu rays, though I have no interest in that. It was also the first model where Oppo standardised the x5 having the better Audio quality.

Last edited:
I’ve jailbroken my 203 and redone the software with a jailbreak on an M9702 clone (and I also have an M9203 clone that shipped to me with the current jailbreak). The 203 was the easiest, only requiring a USB stick. This is not for the faint of heart, however, and you need to pay close attention to instructions. Also, no need to pay for the jailbreak (Oppo-JB.com), as it’s been free and well supported for a long while. EDIT: As long as you follow the directions and make sure you backup your original system, the jailbreak is reversible.

I only felt comfortable changing the firmware on my 203 after I had practiced on the clones. If you want to keep your Oppo pristine, the clones are readily available and have identical performance (to me that is, sonically and video-wise), just no optical drive. They have the same Mediatek SOC that the 203/205 use and can even run original Oppo firmware. If you purchase them via the Spanish AV forum they even have warranties.

For those interested, very complete info (and support by a few experts) can be found in the “Free Oppo and Clones Jailbreak” thread at avforums.com. That is a very active thread and your questions will be addressed there quickly.

I did the jailbreak in order to stream native DSD from my SACD rips to my AVR. Being able to play ISO backups of my BDs and DVDs is also great. I also access my Plex-served FLAC and mkv collection; that does not require the jailbreak (but does not allow gapless). I use a Linux-based NAS that I built to provide data over my network via NFS (SMB works too, but NFS has better performance). The big driver for the jailbreak is to be able to do everything over the network; the original firmware allows a lot of functionality from attached USB storage.

Here are the features (though I notice it’s missing noting the ability to also play from CD and DTS-CD images):
IMG_1571.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve jailbroken my 203 and redone the software with a the jailbreak on an M9702 clone (and I also have an M9203 clone that shipped to me with the current jailbreak)....
Out of interest... Do the remote controls for the 'clone' devices work with the OPPO UDP-203?

EDIT: As mentioned on other forums 'BDMV' and 'AVCHD' folder playback functions fine with the OPPO players stock software when accessed via SMB or NFS file shares...

And incidentally... How do people create DVD-Audio ISO files?

Last edited:
Out of interest... Do the remote controls for the 'clone' devices work with the OPPO UDP-203?

EDIT: As mentioned on other forums 'BDMV' and 'AVCHD' folder playback functions fine with the OPPO players stock software when accessed via SMB or NFS file shares...

And incidentally... How do people create DVD-Audio ISO files?
Yes they do. In fact, if you have both a UDP-203 and a clone in range of either the Oppo’s remote or the clone’s remote, they both respond (which can be a bit inconvenient). As I recall there’s a switch on the Oppo remote that is meant to deal with this for those with multiple Oppos 😁. Or you can disable the front IR receiver on the Oppo (don’t do this on a clone, as they don’t have a back IR receiver).

I use DVD-Fab to create (i.e., copy/clone) my DVD-A ISO backups. I’ll leave it to others to talk about authoring DVD-A ISOs, as I’ve not done that.

Any new SACD, DVD-A, BD-A that I purchase gets backed up to ISO. That’s usually the one and only time I spin the physical media. At the cost of the special editions often required to get the physical multichannel media (I’m looking at you Pink Floyd), a backup to an ISO seems prudent.

Last edited:
I’ve jailbroken my 203 and redone the software with a the jailbreak on an M9702 clone (and I also have an M9203 clone that shipped to me with the current jailbreak). The 203 was the easiest, only requiring a USB stick. This is not for the faint of heart, however, and you need to pay close attention to instructions. Also, no need to pay for the jailbreak (Oppo-JB.com), as it’s been free and well supported for a long while.

I only felt comfortable changing the firmware on my 203 after I had practiced on the clones. If you want to keep your Oppo pristine, the clones are readily available and have identical performance (to me that is, sonically and video-wise), just no optical drive. They have the same Mediatek SOC that the 203/205 use and can even run original Oppo firmware. If you purchase them via the Spanish AV forum they even have warranties.

For those interested, very complete info (and support by a few experts) can be found in the “Free Oppo and Clones Jailbreak” thread at avforums.com. That is a very active thread and your questions will be addressed there quickly.

I did the jailbreak in order to stream native DSD from my SACD rips to my AVR. Being able to play ISO backups of my BDs and DVDs is also great. I also access my Plex-served FLAC and mkv collection; that does not require the jailbreak (but does not allow gapless). I use a Linux-based NAS that I built to provide data over my network via NFS (SMB works too, but NFS has better performance). The big driver for the jailbreak is to be able to do everything over the network; the original firmware allows a lot of functionality from attached USB storage.

Here are the features (though I notice it’s missing noting the ability to also play from CD and DTS-CD images):
View attachment 92635
I bought firmware from the same company.
A note about SACD-R to clarify; It will not enable the Oppo to play SACD-R discs. But it will play them through the network function, (.iso) and probably the USB port.
At least that's how it is on my BDP-103.

Yes they do. In fact, if you have both a UDP-203 and a clone in range of either the Oppo’s remote or the clone’s remote, they both respond (which can be a bit inconvenient). As I recall there’s a switch on the Oppo remote that is meant to deal with this for those with multiple Oppos 😁. Or you can disable the front IR receiver on the Oppo (don’t do this on a clone, as they don’t have a back IR receiver).

I use DVD-Fab to create (i.e., copy/clone) my DVD-A ISO backups. I’ll leave it to others to talk about authoring DVD-A ISOs, as I’ve not done that.

Any new SACD, DVD-A, BD-A that I purchase gets backed up to ISO. That’s usually the one and only time I spin the physical media. At the cost of the special editions often required to get the physical multichannel media (I’m looking at you Pink Floyd), a backup to an ISO seems prudent.
You can change remote settings from within the Oppo, use a different frequency if I recall correctly. I used to have 2 Oppo's sitting in my audio room and I changed one to use a different setting.

I do as you, rip my discs first time in the pc optical drive.

I bought firmware from the same company.
A note about SACD-R to clarify; It will not enable the Oppo to play SACD-R discs. But it will play them through the network function, (.iso) and probably the USB port.
At least that's how it is on my BDP-103.
I’ve not tried a physical SACD-R in my jailbroken UDP-203, but if anyone wants me to give that a try I am certainly willing.

The paid-for jailbreak, if it’s the same firmware that was supplied on the early M9702 clones, has slightly different functionality than the free jailbreak firmware. For example, scripting is disabled (or at least it was on my used M9702). The new firmware has a lot of interesting features, including the ability to revert to the original firmware and back without reflashing (through a filesystem overlay, since the jailbreak is basically just a replacement of a single large binary and otherwise leaves the Linux filesystem untouched, other than to administratively allow telnet into the system without using a script).

Last edited:
I’ve jailbroken my 203 and redone the software with a jailbreak on an M9702 clone (and I also have an M9203 clone that shipped to me with the current jailbreak). The 203 was the easiest, only requiring a USB stick. This is not for the faint of heart, however, and you need to pay close attention to instructions. Also, no need to pay for the jailbreak (Oppo-JB.com), as it’s been free and well supported for a long while.

View attachment 92635
I didn't know that a clone existed! Cambridge Audio, they appear to be discontinued but I see a few on eBay.

Back