Unlock your OPPO Blu-ray player for all DVD regions!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't know that a clone existed! Cambridge Audio, they appear to be discontinued but I see a few on eBay.
Yes, but as SeeMoreDigital correctly notes these are digital only devices and so aren’t complete clones (and no optical drive). They do have the identical very good Mediatek SOC as the Oppo units which handles all of the digital video and audio chores, but they don’t have DACs and so no analog outputs. For video that means strictly HDMI, but do note that some of the units have HDMI IN and HDMI AUDIO ONLY OUT in addition to HDMI OUT, and these have the same 4K upscaling capability (the same Mediatek chip) as the Oppo units. For audio they have only HDMI and both optical and coax digital (the latter two only supporting lossy multichannel).

If you need multichannel (or even stereo) analog audio outputs, you’d have to add an external DAC with HDMI input capability, or find a used Oppo 203 or 205. I have an AVR that has a very competent set of DACs and so get my audio that way, via DSD, bitstream DD / DTS, or PCM over HDMI. They have very high quality video support including DV, HDR10, 4K, etc..

If you are happy using an Oppo as a networked media player, these function identically (same firmware so same menus). If you want a more complete user interface, you‘d have to go with a Zidoo, Dune, etc., or an HTPC running something like JRiver.

I’ve not tried a physical SACD-R in my jailbroken UDP-203, but if anyone wants me to give that a try I am certainly willing.

The paid-for jailbreak, if it’s the same firmware that was supplied on the early M9702 clones, has slightly different functionality than the free jailbreak firmware. For example, scripting is disabled (or at least it was on my used M9702). The new firmware has a lot of interesting features, including the ability to revert to the original firmware and back without reflashing (through a filesystem overlay, since the jailbreak is basically just a replacement of a single large binary and otherwise leaves the Linux filesystem untouched, other than to administratively allow telnet into the system without using a script).
Well for the 103 I had to get a TTL>USB converter and do a little wiring. I had to flash through the Oppo's firmware flash port. There used to exist, from an Ebay seller I'm told, firmware that could be installed on the 103 via the USB port. I contacted the Ebay guy and he said unfortunately it's no longer available. So I went the Oppo-JB.com route and had to order a few cheap items off Amazon to flash the firmware. Cost mayte 8-10$. But was not hard to do.
I can revert to the original firmware with a "normal" flash through the USB port.

Scripts are supposed to be disabled with the firmware I bought. I did not know this at the time....I went through some scorn here on QQ when I stated that a particular copy of a file enabled me to rip an SACD.
I was confronted with, well lets just say disbelief, and I wasn't sure what was going on. But eventually the Oppo relented and let me do a SACD rip. It just took a lot of tries.
I still felt like I was being called a liar, essentially.
Afterwards I contacted the guy at JB-Oppo.com and explained what happened. He was surprised, as supposedly scripting was disabled in the new firmware. But we persevere, not lie.
FWIW.

I jailbroke my 105 with software and instructions from Oppo’s Australian site. IIRC, it took a CD-RW about two or three minutes, and I don’t notice any side effects.

I jailbroke my 105 with software and instructions from Oppo’s Australian site. IIRC, it took a CD-RW about two or three minutes, and I don’t notice any side effects.
Just so you know... "Jail breaking" the OPPO's firmware is very different to running the "Superdisc" - as per the original topic title.

The 'superdisc' gives the OPPO players the ability to play DVD discs from any region code (ie: 1 to 8). There are also hardware mod kits that can give the OPPO players the ability to play Blu-ray discs from any region (ie: A, B and C), along with DVD region free access.

The 'jail break' modification (loaded onto a USB stick) hacks into the Mediatek chip-sets base firmware and rewrites various code, giving the player abilities that are hindered by various copyright protection authorities such as: the US's Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), the EU's Information Society Directive and Cinavia audio watermarking (developed by Verance). Even the players HDMI output has to include 'mandatory' High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP).

I understand those Oppo clones sans optical drives are going for around $370 US dollars.
That's actually less than what I paid for a used BDP-103 a few years back.
But having 4K playback capability and the other goodies that go with the Oppo 203/205 just doesn't mean enough to me to spend any more money on a disc player I hardly use.
I just rip/decrypt and play on the pc > AVR these days. But I know others base their system around their disc players, and I say whatever works for you is great.
...still think it sucks Oppo got out of the game, though, when they developed an almost cult-like following here in the US. I don't know if they ever gave a reason, but I guess it doesn't really matter why.

The reason given was the capacity was needed in the Oppo factory for making mobile phones. Which boils down to they could make more money using the capacity to make phones.
Where did you see this? Was it just some dude on a message board armchair speculating or was it an actual legit source?

That’s all well and good, but I’m trying to stop the spread of a false (unless proven otherwise) internet old wives tale.
As I remember it, the "old wives" in this case were official press releases from Oppo. They officially declared that they were getting out of consumer audio and concentrating their resources on phones.

As I remember it, the "old wives" in this case were official press releases from Oppo. They officially declared that they were getting out of consumer audio and concentrating their resources on phones.
As I remember it, there was no such official press release from Oppo. As I remember it, Oppo never said why it was shutting down production of bluray players and headphones. As I remember it, there was no lack of message board speculation masquerading as fact.

If only there was a way to look up the official release…:rolleyes:

OPPO Digital - Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Players

As I remember it, there was no such official press release from Oppo. As I remember it, Oppo never said why it was shutting down production of bluray players and headphones. As I remember it, there was no lack of message board speculation masquerading as fact.

If only there was a way to look up the official release…:rolleyes:

OPPO Digital - Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Players
Unfortunately Oppo Digital (as distinct from the phone maker Oppo), both owned by BBK Electronics, is privately held, like its parent. So no way that I know of to look at annual reports and so forth, but perhaps there were industry figures released over the years.

It’s worth noting that BBK Electronics shipped 56.7 million smartphones in just Q1of 2017 (see Wikipedia), 2nd in the world only to Samsung, and was the largest smartphone manufacturer in China (2016). Do you suppose Oppo Digital even shipped a million 103/105/203/205 units total? No matter how good the gross margin on BluRay players, I would guess that BBK’s profits were (and continue to be) clearly dominated by their smartphone sales.

The "Farewell" message on Oppo Digital's website may have tactfully said that the US company would "not have the resources to develop and release new generations of products," but that's because the Chinese parent company's business was cellphones, and that's where they'd be putting all their resources from that point forward. It wasn't only message board denizens who were speculating about that; so were reporters for trade journals and websites. And there's a difference between informed speculation and making things up. It may not been an issue of manufacturing "capacity," as Owen Smith claimed, but it's also not a case of my memory versus yours. It didn't take a Harvard MBA to conclude that in 2018, with the demise of physical media and the rise in streaming, Oppo simply decided it wasn't worth staying in the high-end audio business. It's fabulous that they've continued to keep the lights on in the Customer Service office down in Menlo Park, though. Those guys are amazingly helpful and responsive, and I'll be taking my BDP-93 down there later in the month for a firmware rollback.

https://www.audioholics.com/editorials/oppo-digital-bids-farewell-ends-us-manufacturinghttps://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...i-fi-audio-disc-player-oppo-digital-shut-downhttps://www.cnet.com/tech/home-ente...ending-its-audio-and-blu-ray-player-business/https://nscreenmedia.com/oppo-disc-player-sales-quit/

Last edited:
The "Farewell" message on Oppo Digital's website may have tactfully said that the US company would "not have the resources to develop and release new generations of products," but that's because the Chinese parent company's business was cellphones, and that's where they'd be putting all their resources from that point forward. It wasn't only message board denizens who were speculating about that; so were reporters for trade journals and websites. And there's a difference between informed speculation and making things up. It may not been an issue of manufacturing "capacity," as Owen Smith claimed, but it's also not a case of my memory versus yours. It didn't take a Harvard MBA to conclude that in 2018, with the demise of physical media and the rise in streaming, Oppo simply decided it wasn't worth staying in the high-end audio business. It's fabulous that they've continued to keep the lights on in the Customer Service office down in Menlo Park, though. Those guys are amazingly helpful and responsive, and I'll be taking my BDP-93 down there later in the month for a firmware rollback.

https://www.audioholics.com/editorials/oppo-digital-bids-farewell-ends-us-manufacturinghttps://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...i-fi-audio-disc-player-oppo-digital-shut-downhttps://www.cnet.com/tech/home-ente...ending-its-audio-and-blu-ray-player-business/https://nscreenmedia.com/oppo-disc-player-sales-quit/
Well said, Sir.

Where did you see this? Was it just some dude on a message board armchair speculating or was it an actual legit source?
It was years ago, I can't remember the source now. But since I work in the industry and we get trade publications at work it could have been more legit than some dude on a message board.

Loads of awesome material on DVDs, the vast majority of which will not ever get upgraded to Blu-ray.
We got into 5.1 dvd concerts/music pretty much as they began to release in the late 80's or early 90's? I'll gather them up and see about taking pics of these things. Man we have alot of em'. LOL. Will take some time to get all gathered up etc.. Like you mentioned, much of what we have can probably be very difficult to find these days. And some actually sound quite good! Especially when DTS got into the groove shortly after dolby digital 5.1 as well.

We got into 5.1 dvd concerts/music pretty much as they began to release in the late 80's or early 90's? I'll gather them up and see about taking pics of these things. Man we have alot of em'. LOL. Will take some time to get all gathered up etc.. Like you mentioned, much of what we have can probably be very difficult to find these days. And some actually sound quite good! Especially when DTS got into the groove shortly after dolby digital 5.1 as well.
DVD started in the mid 90's so you won't have any from the late 80's or early 90's.

Back