Unlock your OPPO Blu-ray player for all DVD regions!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DVD started in the mid 90's so you won't have any from the late 80's or early 90's.
ok. ty Mid 90's then. I feel better now for sure! We have a several vhs concerts stored in boxes. Confusion as we get older..it's great!

Last edited:
We got into 5.1 dvd concerts/music pretty much as they began to release in the late 80's or early 90's? I'll gather them up and see about taking pics of these things. Man we have alot of em'. LOL. Will take some time to get all gathered up etc.. Like you mentioned, much of what we have can probably be very difficult to find these days. And some actually sound quite good! Especially when DTS got into the groove shortly after dolby digital 5.1 as well.
One of the drawers in my room is reserved for music DVDs and Blus. Some are DVD-As, some are music-only Blus, but plenty of performance arts, including dance and opera. Most are surround, but not all. It’s getting full, though, with my receipt yeasterday of Alan Parsons and Ten Years After.

Pictures of the mothership.
IMG_20230627_102149044.jpg

IMG_20230627_102702181.jpg

Just a stone's throw from my parents' house. I believe I briefly visited the old HQ in Mountain View to pick up a replacement remote for the BDP-83, as my father had bricked the original by using rechargeable batteries in it. I still don't understand how that could kill it—voltage is voltage, right?—but it was nice to be able to get it replaced locally.

I believe I briefly visited the old HQ in Mountain View to pick up a replacement remote for the BDP-83, as my father had bricked the original by using rechargeable batteries in it. I still don't understand how that could kill it—voltage is voltage, right?—but it was nice to be able to get it replaced locally.
That's really odd...I switched to 100% rechargeable years ago and haven't had any issues. Bonus: Unlike EVERY DAMNED DURACELL I'VE EVER USED, the rechargeables never leak.

Quick postscript: since I was visiting a friend who lives in the next town over, I packed up what are now my two backup players, a DV-980H and BDP-93, and dropped them off for service in person on a Tuesday morning. They were ready for pickup Wednesday afternoon. My 980 had a sticky drawer and a noisy transport; they fixed the drawer and replaced the entire transport, including the laser. One-price-fits-all: $59. Nothing wrong with the 93, really, although as @Wagonmaster_91 reported earlier this year, they were willing to roll back the firmware to enable ISO playback support, and while they were at it they did a check-up/tune-up. Flat rate to service that model: $119. (Unfortunately they're still not able--for contractual reasons, I guess--to do firmware rollbacks on the 103, or I'd have brought that one in, too.)

The young man who received and returned my machines was cordial and professional. When I asked if he knew how much longer the parent company was planning to keep the lights on there, he could only say that he wished he did. Originally the plan was to provide support for three years after they stopped manufacturing; it's now been four and a half. So....if you live in the continental US and have even the hint of an issue with your Oppo, you might want to send it in now, before the sun finally sets!

Last edited:
Quick postscript: since I was visiting a friend who lives in the next town over, I packed up what are now my two backup players, a DV-980H and BDP-93, and dropped them off for service in person on a Tuesday morning. They were ready for pickup Wednesday afternoon. My 980 had a sticky drawer and a noisy transport; they fixed the drawer and replaced the entire transport, including the laser. One-price-fits-all: $59. Nothing wrong with the 93, really, although as @Wagonmaster_91 reported earlier this year, they were willing to roll back the firmware to enable ISO playback support, and while they were at it they did a check-up/tune-up. Uniprice to service that model: $119. (Unfortunately they're still not able--for contractual reasons, I guess--to do firmware rollbacks on the 103, or I'd have brought that one in, too.)

The young man who received and returned my machines was cordial and professional. When I asked if he knew how much longer the parent company was planning to keep the lights on there, he could only say that he wished he did. Originally the plan was to provide support for three years after they stopped manufacturing; it's now been four and a half. So....if you live in the continental US and have even the hint of an issue with your Oppo, you might want to send it in now, before the sun finally sets!
Glad you had such good service at a reasonable cost. And you make a good point if your Oppo is just a little bit flaky don't hesitate to get it checked out. Fortunately my 105, purchased just as the 20x came out, works like new.

What strikes me as odd I get from the pics it's a significantly large building for housing, what? A front counter person and a service tech? I bet they will keep the repair service going until the lease runs out.

Glad you had such good service at a reasonable cost. And you make a good point if your Oppo is just a little bit flaky don't hesitate to get it checked out. Fortunately my 105, purchased just as the 20x came out, works like new.

What strikes me as odd I get from the pics it's a significantly large building for housing, what? A front counter person and a service tech? I bet they will keep the repair service going until the lease runs out.
Actually, I think the counter guy was also the service tech. (Or at least a service tech.) I had to make appointments for dropoff and pickup, and he came out front to unlock the door. I get the impression that the neighborhood--an industrial corridor wedged in between highway 101 and the bay--has been significantly built up since Oppo first took up residence there. It's basically Meta-town at the moment, but on either end of the long block where Oppo is located, there are multi-story apartment blocks going up. So I have a feeling Oppo is going to be in an Up situation before long.
1688396723137.png

they were willing to roll back the firmware to enable ISO playback support, and while they were at it they did a check-up/tune-up. Uniprice to service that model: $119. (Unfortunately they're still not able--for contractual reasons, I guess--to do firmware rollbacks on the 103, or I'd have brought that one in, too.)
More likely there was never any 103/5 firmware that allowed ISO playback so there was no release they could roll back to. ISO playback was disabled quite early in the life of the 93/95, long before the 103/105 came out.

More likely there was never any 103/5 firmware that allowed ISO playback so there was no release they could roll back to. ISO playback was disabled quite early in the life of the 93/95, long before the 103/105 came out.
Not ISO playback, but SACD-R playback. That was disabled, with no prior warning, with firmware 50-0323B; it's a feature I'd love to be able to restore.

Not ISO playback, but SACD-R playback. That was disabled, with no prior warning, with firmware 50-0323B; it's a feature I'd love to be able to restore.
OK but you were talking about ISO playback on the 93/95 so I assumed naturally it was the same thing you wanted on the 103/105.

My Oppo 95 does not have the latest firmware. I've bought a second hand Oppo 203 now I have an amp that does HDMI audio. Before I box up the 95 as a spare I want to upgrade it to the final firmware, I have the one that suffers from a silent period the first time an SACD is played after power on.

So does anyone know where the latest EU firmware for Oppo 93/95 is? Last time I looked oppodigital.com only had the US firmware. I don't know what the differences are (if any) but I don't want to take the risk.

It's meant to be here: OPPO - Firmware for OPPO BDP-93EU/95EU

But when I click on that link I get:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<Error>
<Code>AllAccessDisabled</Code>
<Message>All access to this object has been disabled</Message>
<RequestId>C4HNEGY779PWB5Y0</RequestId>
<HostId>JdW7DTIROUBWw/ViNYfdS+RNESP/HWwfvfPn0EkLKKNCvITiqr6xRli9XtrXY6MeknN60s3SFMs=</HostId>
</Error>

Last edited:
I've used the contact form on oppodigital.co.uk to ask for the firmware and why the link does't work. Note they don't work for the 103x/105x or 203/205 either.

Question for people who have a Oppo 203 as I have an opportunity to buy a used one as not sure how long my 103 will still last.

Does the 203 not do Wifi at all as i don't see a listing for a Dongle(if that's the right term)?

I do like that on my 103 that I can do youtube.

For streaming then what do people do if only using the 203 as I am to far away for a cable connection to internet.

Question for people who have a Oppo 203 as I have an opportunity to buy a used one as not sure how long my 103 will still last.

Does the 203 not do Wifi at all as i don't see a listing for a Dongle(if that's the right term)?

I do like that on my 103 that I can do youtube.

For streaming then what do people do if only using the 203 as I am to far away for a cable connection to internet.
My 203 does have WiFi. From the manual:
IMG_1664.jpeg

No dongle - the WiFi is built into the unit. Both WiFi and wired ethernet are built-in.
The left hand side panel is plastic on the Oppo 203/5 to allow the wifi signal out, and there's a metal box inside the Oppo to shield it. https://www.lowbeats.de/site/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Oppo-UDP203-Innen-Antennen.jpg or see attached photo below (hopefully, I've never attached a file before).

Personally I wish it were an all metal case, the damage possibilities with plastic concern me.

Attachments

• E8E8D22B-107C-4E9A-99BF-3AA0DFB3AF7E.jpeg
    E8E8D22B-107C-4E9A-99BF-3AA0DFB3AF7E.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 0
After Owen's post I looked back through the thread a bit.
My BDP-80 plays SACD-R. Wonder why they never disabled it? My DV-970HD does also but it's got a free firmware hack.
My jailbroke 103 won't play SACD-R discs but it plays them in .iso format.

Back