Mike Oldfield "Tubular Bells" (limited-run SDE Blu-Ray with Dolby Atmos, 5.1, and Quad mixes shipping 5/26)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why would I pay shipping for a slipcase when i’m waiting on a blu-ray that would cost nothing to add on?
I'm only pointing out the possibility. When you consider how much, much more customers outside the UK have to pay for every Blu-ray disc, the small cost of shipping the slipcase on its own seems neglectable. Alternatively, you could wait til the next BD-A and add the slipcase then, assuming it's still available. Or somebody else orders an extra slipcase and gifts it to you.

I'm confused about the slipcases. What are they and why might I want one? Does the disc as ordered not come in a case? Sure looks like it does on the ordering page.

I'm confused about the slipcases. What are they and why might I want one? Does the disc as ordered not come in a case? Sure looks like it does on the ordering page.
I might be wrong (as this is the first SDE release I’ve ordered), but I believe the first couple of releases didn’t have a cardboard sleeve around the plastic blu ray case, but later releases did have them.
They offered the ability to order specially made slipcases for those first few releases… I believe going forward all of them will have slipcases by default however

I might be wrong (as this is the first SDE release I’ve ordered), but I believe the first couple of releases didn’t have a cardboard sleeve around the plastic blu ray case, but later releases did have them.
They offered the ability to order specially made slipcases for those first few releases… I believe going forward all of them will have slipcases by default however
Ah, those stupid outer sleeves that wear and get damaged because they are outside the robust plastic case that was designed to protect the contents.

Ah, those stupid outer sleeves that wear and get damaged because they are outside the robust plastic case that was designed to protect the contents.
TBH, Blu-ray cases aren't as robust as CD jewelcases. They're kinda wobbly, so I'm glad I got a slipcase.

If the Atmos mix isn't discrete AF, with sh*t ping-ponging around all over the place, a la Yello's "Point," I will be SORELY disappointed. The world does not need another tame 5.1 mix of this. It practically writes itself.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
If the Atmos mix isn't discrete AF, with sh*t ping-ponging around all over the place, a la Yello's "Point," I will be SORELY disappointed.
While I've not yet heard Yello's "Point,", I concur that the nature of the recording lends itself to an adventurous mix. There's no solo singer throughout to wallow in the center channel with a lead guitar a bit to the right and drums a bit to the left with the bass smeared over the front and mixed too low and "a little atmosphere" in the surrounds. While I've not heard a mix by David Kosten, I'm optimistic given that he has worked with King Midas.
The world does not need another tame 5.1 mix of this.
It perplexes me why anyone bothers with a mix of a studio recording from which the tracks remain available, but which is less surrounding than the stereo mix played with a good "extended stereo" or upmix available on every AVR since forever. Too often I've put my ear to a surround speaker to check that it's actually reproducing something.

Paul just posted this at SDE:

Nothing too much to report with Mike Oldfield’s Tubular Bells. It’s all been signed off and will soon go into production. The print run is 5,000 and it’s sold out. There may be some cancellations which means a few copies could become available again. Again, add yourself to the waiting list to have a chance. At the time of writing, we are still expecting the 26 May to be the release date, as advertised originally.

Back