Mike Oldfield "Tubular Bells" (limited-run SDE Blu-Ray with Dolby Atmos, 5.1, and Quad mixes shipping 5/26)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope it can be found in Europe
No-brainer...ordered.

I'd love a set with all the TB releases in surround - are you listening Mr Oldfield?
I don't think he cares anymore.
He stopped remixing his own work (oh dear I waited for a multichannel AMAROK the days i t went out !!!) and some 5.1 mixes are living a lot to desire (Crisis anyone).
Hope this can be found in Europe, without resorting to ordering outside, paying customs and import taxes...

Nope, this leaves out the 1st Quad mix, only available on CD4 or Q8. I suppose if you're only going to put 1 quad mix on it, it makes sense to go with the 2nd, I think that's considered the better of the two. But - I would have preferred to see the first be included, since I already have the 2nd on SACD.
The 1st quad mix is an upmix, why would anyone want that apart from for historical completeness?

My SACD claims to be sourced from an experimental mix that MO did not approve. Sounds like the 1st/Beta, to me?
As opposed to the mix released on the Boxed set?
Someone confirm?
The only quad SACD of this I'm aware of IS the same mix as on the Boxed set. The booklet goes into great detail about what parts were missing from the multi tracks and had to be re-recorded, being adventurous as a demo expecting to have to make changes, playing it to Mike Oldfield and asking what he wanted changing, and him quite offhandedly saying "nothing" and that was it. Sounds approved to me.

Since I already own the 2001 quad sacd, the 2003 5.1 Oldfield re-recording dvd-a (which is aggressively mixed and sounds gorgeous), and the 2009 Oldfield 5.1 remix dvd-v of the original, I'm passing on this release. It's still a great set and price for anyone who doesn't already own at least one surround mix of this landmark album.

I already have the quad SACD and that's the only mix I'm particularly interested in, so I thought about this for a while. But I ordered because the price is very reasonable given I'm in the UK, and I dislike SACD as a format (shame about CD Japan and DV using it) so I want to encourage Blu Ray audio which I see as the most sensible physical format for quad and multi channel releases. DVD-A and SACD are troublesome not least in terms of ongoing availability of devices to play them.

The only quad SACD of this I'm aware of IS the same mix as on the Boxed set. The booklet goes into great detail about what parts were missing from the multi tracks and had to be re-recorded, being adventurous as a demo expecting to have to make changes, playing it to Mike Oldfield and asking what he wanted changing, and him quite offhandedly saying "nothing" and that was it. Sounds approved to me.
You're referring to the 2-sided sheet that I posted earlier in this thread?

I'm referring to the booklet in my SACD copy. I didn't notice you posted a 2 sided sheet.
OK I found yours in post 34 and that is indeed the information I'm referring to. I think I missed it as something odd happened when I clicked the link to view additional posts after I'd posted a reply. I forgot that all goes a bit screwy.

oh geez, you had to go there, didn't you, lol
well I preordered this disc as soon as I found out then rushed over here to share the link too, but one thing is for sure, I will NOT be ordering "The Exorcist" 50th anniversary edition, which is likely coming later this year 😈🤮😱

on a side note, one of the best things about this upcoming release is that I will finally be able to sell off my Quad SACD.
Happy times indeed!

:)
I’m all in on that Exorcist 50th!

Can anyone explain the difference between superdeluxeedition.com and thesdeshop.com? I can log into the sdeshop.com and that is where all my orders are like ten years after, concert for george, etc. but I get emails from superdeluxeedition.com telling me of upcoming releases like I ordered on thesdeshop.com. However when I go to superdeluxeedition.com to log in it does not recognize my password so I do a reset on my password and it will still not let me log in so I decide maybe I should re-register but when I do that is shows that my email is already being used and it will still not let me log register. Sorry for the brain fart but this is really confusing.
I’ve run into this same password conundrum and your post has helped me figure it out. Ordering site (the SDE shop.com) allows password access. Email notification site (superdeluxeedition.com) does not. Much appreciated!

I have the CD4 LP and the quad SACD. Don't have the 5.1 DVD-A though.
So I ordered this because it's got all the older mixes and Atmos. This BD will be the definitive version.

I thought about it for 1 day & decided this has to be worth it. A great selection by SDE.
With this music, the Atmos mixers could pull out the stops, use all the channels with discrete localization, pans as well as layering. That's my hope anyway!

The 1st quad mix is an upmix, why would anyone want that apart from for historical completeness?
Though I can't say for this one, my general experience with quad transfers is that quad version are boldly mixed. As I said somewhere else, they took the risks early stereo mix had. You know, hard panned drums and voices, dual mono approach and such. Now anything you listen to, has snare in center, kick in center, lead voicing center, backing vocals slightly spread etc. It fell on the boringly uninventive side of the coin.
Many 5.1 in general I hear are mixed in a confort univentive zone too. Even when the music is bold. Bjork is an example. The multichannel versions have little interest.
Add to that the fact in early days of quad, there were no multichannel effects. That meant hard decisions, and the 'unmixed" and 'raw' some quad transfer (on a SACD for my experience) have.
That really brings a different proposition to the table. Wired and Blow By Blow by Jeff Beck does that, as Herbie Hancocq's Sextant, or Spirit by Earth Wind and Fire, and all Tomita's quad transfers to SACD. To name a few.
Again I can't say for Tubular Bells.
I rebought all of his remasters, including 5.1 mix. And did not like most of them, nor some decisions he took (like replacing his guitar fairlight samples in Five Miles Out by real guitars, killing in the way the special mood of that part of the track). Some songs like 'In High Places' on Crisis are just simply destroyed.
I wish very much the quad version has this different take on that memorable piece.

Last edited:
OK I found yours in post 34 and that is indeed the information I'm referring to. I think I missed it as something odd happened when I clicked the link to view additional posts after I'd posted a reply. I forgot that all goes a bit screwy.
Well, I have a pretty crappy memory and apparently don't like to read much!
Maybe the fairest thing to say is that MO was basically apathetic toward the Quad mix of Tubular Bells. At least that's the impression I got.

I'm looking forward to this...

I remember seeing and hearing this album when it first came out in a record store in Tamworth while visiting my grand parents. There were big posters in the windows and what seemed like hundreds of copies lined up in the racks stacked above each other from the front to the back of the store. It was a most impressive site for an impressionable 11 year old me. I had to have it and eventually bought it a few months later in Nottingham.

Like many people here I've bought it several times over the years, even on cassette tape for the car as a seventeen year old. The most recent purchase was the 5.1 FLAC download from Bowers & Wilkins (Society of Sound) in 2012...

Well, I have a pretty crappy memory and apparently don't like to read much!
Maybe the fairest thing to say is that MO was basically apathetic toward the Quad mix of Tubular Bells. At least that's the impression I got.

That's what I read too.

And just to clarify the 73 release in quad was made available on SQ , CD 4, Q8.
So those were the Abbey Road mixes. I checked my SQ Virgin UK albums and they both state 73.

So the Quad box set was 1975 , the better quad mixes , IMHO.

Sharing: feedback I sent to the SDE team:
"can we have a fairer process of announcing these releases for people not in US / UK / EU timezones? The Mike Oldfield announcement went out at 2:45am local time in Australia . . . by 9am all the vinyl half-speeds are sold out. Where I live shouldn't determine if I can buy products from SDE."

Sharing: feedback I sent to the SDE team:
"can we have a fairer process of announcing these releases for people not in US / UK / EU timezones? The Mike Oldfield announcement went out at 2:45am local time in Australia . . . by 9am all the vinyl half-speeds are sold out. Where I live shouldn't determine if I can buy products from SDE."

So apparently the "10-day only" window for ordering applies to the Bluray and not the vinyl? That's really tough. I wonder if SDE underestimated the demand for the vinyl.

So apparently the "10-day only" window for ordering applies to the Bluray and not the vinyl? That's really tough. I wonder if SDE underestimated the demand for the vinyl.
Thanks @ar surround . . . yes, agree. From what I understand about SDE, it is primarily focus is digital based products. SO maybe they don't have a reference point for analogue products? On the bright side, I am very happy to the blu-ray product. Win some, lose some

Back