Mike Oldfield "Tubular Bells" (limited-run SDE Blu-Ray with Dolby Atmos, 5.1, and Quad mixes shipping 5/26)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got to say, after listening to a one minute preview this TB4 working is not bad at all...I would have enjoyed hearing where this was going after how great Return to Ommadawn was but am grateful for the years of music and wish Mike all the best in his retirement.

I second your thoughts about TB4 demo, although I can understand why it was rejected. When it started my impression was kind of oh, more of the same variations on TV theme. But no, there's a distinct, mature, more melancholic tone to this new song that left me longing for more. A real pity Mike seems to be definitely out of the music biz

Reviewing the whole history of Tubular Bells editions, there is one figure that has caught my attention:

The first Quad vinyl QV2001 released a number of 40,000 copies that were "fake" quad. Subsequent copies were "real" quad, either on further vinyls QV2001 (?) or on Boxed and SACD.

Strange and difficult to compare with the 5,000 copies of the new Dolby Atmos/Extras current Blu-ray edition. New era, new surround market, new streaming, etc.

I second your thoughts about TB4 demo, although I can understand why it was rejected. When it started my impression was kind of oh, more of the same variations on TV theme. But no, there's a distinct, mature, more melancholic tone to this new song that left me longing for more. A real pity Mike seems to be definitely out of the music biz
I'm just speculating, but I have a funny feeling we might not have heard the last of this. If the demo gets streamed a lot (which it currently isn't, but that may change), I could see some people changing their minds. Because it is good and has the potential to make for a better finale of the "Bells" saga than the rather ill-fated TBIII.

Review courtesy of SHF:

Someone on facebook won a ticket to hear the album played at the Dolby Laboratories Theatre. Here's what he said:

"So! What did it sound like? The lights went down and in pitch black darkness we listened! F*****g Hell! Let's just say I'm quite close to ditching my umpteen grand vinyl hifi set up in favour of a Dolby Atmos system! Really? Well, actually, no! And herein lies the problem. I was lucky enough to hear this monumental LP, in all its immersive glory on a multi thousand pound Atmos system, in a multi thousand pound purpose built auditorium, acoustically treated to within an inch of its very existence. And it sounded superb! No, it was better than that, it was f*****g superb. Mr Kosten has done an amazing job of introducing space and layers between the instruments that simply were not there in the original, whilst keeping it true to the original. The sounds that we all know and love are clearer, more defined, with none being too loud or subdued overall. It was like listening to 16 Mike Oldfields positioned all around the room, and while, yes, there was a fair bit of stereo panning, it didn't detract from the overall balance of the piece. I'll never hear Tubular Bells that way again. I was lucky, and for that I am thankful"

There was a Q&A and Kosten told the audience he spent a month working on the remix. He also revealed that, of all things, the Bells were missing from the 16 track master. He had to use some "technical wizardry" to re-create them. Neither Kosten, nor someone from Universal named Easlea, believe Mike has heard the Atmos mix yet as he doesn't have an Atmos set up.

It was already known from the time of the quad mix that the tubular bells, and various other parts eg. piano, were missing from the 16 track master. All detailed in the SACD booklet. What's less clear is why the recreations of them for the quad mix weren't available, it was transferred to a new 24 track master to provide enough tracks for the extra instruments.

Today the shipping notices is there

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2023-05-25 om 13.10.04.png
    Schermafbeelding 2023-05-25 om 13.10.04.png
    140.7 KB · Views: 0
Back