4 More Quadio titles coming in October!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You WIN! The cover is looking very purple. Also, Mingus is one of my favo(u)rites through the Surround Master, so . . . let's go with that!
View attachment 95696
Funnily enough (and I think someone remarked upon this at the time), Rhino used the Quadradisc version of the album cover for the replica jacket they included in the recent Changes box set. The quad mix was not part of that set--the disc inside the jacket was a stereo CD, like all the others--but maybe that was a coded message from the future? Although the Quadradisc version of the album has a grey border....

The quad mix itself is by İlhan Mimaroğlu, a fascinating guy (Google him!) who also mixed some of his own experimental electronic music in quad, both for his own Finnadar imprint and for Folkways Records. For Atlantic, where he was a producer, he also did the quad mix for Ellington's New Orleans Suite.

Hi folks. The second batch has landed. Time for a tease.
having carefully scrutinized your photo of the 4 super jewel inlays, comparing them to the original CD-4 LP spines, i can most confidently declare the next bundle of Quadio joy will comprise;

Hotcakes : Carly Simon (R&B Edition),
No Secrets : Carly Simon (Reprise Label variant),
Best Of : Carly Simon (Atlantic Label version),
Carly Simon : Carly Simon (Jazz Edition)

👀😅

"there's nothin' you can do
to turn me away,
nothin' anyone can say...
" ✌️🤣

A little off topic but I remember a reissue series for the group Free.
If you lined up the CD spines together they made a picture of a face.
I have just by chance two of the middle ones that show part of the face.
Rhino Quadio could experiment with this in their next group of 4 releases by showing a pattern or name or picture....
Maybe a picture of FRs face?

Funnily enough (and I think someone remarked upon this at the time), Rhino used the Quadradisc version of the album cover for the replica jacket they included in the recent Changes box set. The quad mix was not part of that set--the disc inside the jacket was a stereo CD, like all the others--but maybe that was a coded message from the future? Although the Quadradisc version of the album has a grey border....

The quad mix itself is by İlhan Mimaroğlu, a fascinating guy (Google him!) who also mixed some of his own experimental electronic music in quad, both for his own Finnadar imprint and for Folkways Records. For Atlantic, where he was a producer, he also did the quad mix for Ellington's New Orleans Suite.
I did see that CD-4 CM cover used and took a mild hint from it.. Didn't know anything about Mimaroğlu. Has he done any other quad mixes?

I did see that CD-4 CM cover used and took a mild hint from it.. Didn't know anything about Mimaroğlu. Has he done any other quad mixes?
I don't know of any others, apart from those I mentioned. Maybe one for Finnadar and one for Folkways (in addition to the Ellington)?

For those popping in, or just need a reminder, this is what we know so far:

Clues by Foraging Rhino:

Clue 1:
1 Jazz
1 R&B
1 Singer/Songwriter
1 Soft Rock

Clue 2:
1 Warner Bros
1 Reprise
2 Atlantic

Clue 3 (see image):
91153-Screen-Shot-2023-08-30-at-4.53.53-PM.png

And here is a list of quadrophonic LP releases, organized by record label: QuadraphonicQuad - WEA GROUP Records Checklist

Average White band is a starch white cover, so not that title here that I can see. And I don't see any Seals and Crofts either. I'm having a hard time imagining Gordon's Sundown.

But I'm seeing Mingus Moves as one of them. Cool!!!!!
Mingus Moves looks like a definite with the purple cover. Last year was his 100th Anniversary year, besides

Charles Mingus - Mingus Moves (2002, CD) | Discogs

Back