Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - 50th Anniversary Atmos mix in 2023! (Standalone BD coming in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For $20 you get the superbly mastered BluRay with ATMOS, 5.1, High resolution stereo, a booklet with some nice pictures and text that is actually legible, a postcard, 3 stickers (I love that they included the original round sticker from the LP's original release) ! This should be the model for all future 'physical' issues. An excellent alternative (or addition) to streaming or giant expensive boxsets.

Better to capture the raw mic output and then if you want to add colouration do it in the audio workstation, you can then dial it up or down to choice. But if you bake it in and it's too much or wrong type it's too late to change.
I think most producers/engineers would agree that capturing everything flat and unprocessed, then putting off all those decisions until the mix is a pretty poor way to work. After all, there's a reason why recordings studios are filled with racks of outboard gear...

I got my disc today (Thanks Amazon), and fired it right up in the theater room. Damn BD player wanted to do a firmware update first, so I did it, then fired up the disc. The opening 'noise' is very cool, with the pyramid. I went right to the setup and checked the Atmos speaker assignments, as I've never really been able to do a test tone thing on this setup since I got it all installed. I could never get Garry's test files to work with what I have, so this was great! Everything checked out fine. The receiver put everything in the proper place, so then I listened to the opening.

Again, my cat went nuts. Especially when 'On the Run" came on! He totally freaked out and skulked out of the room!

The sad part of all of this is that I can't really hear it the way I should be able to hear it. So depressing, really. Sucks getting old.

Anyway, this is such a worthwhile $20 spend, even if you've bought this a hundred times like me, spend one last $20 and be done with it. You will be pleased, I assure you

Anyway, this is such a worthwhile $20 spend, even if you've bought this a hundred times like me, spend one last $20 and be done with it. You will be pleased, I assure you

I don't have Atmos and doubt I ever will. I have the Immersion Box and the SACD- to mention just the ones that have surround, I've bought others of course- and saw no reason to get this. But how can I ignore an assurance from the Man himself???

Ordered.

Just arrived, £10.99 from amazon
image.jpg

Best value from PF ever 👍

I have the SACD and now this. I've always loved the 5.1 mix, but have never heard the quad for comparison. This 5.1 still sounds great, perhaps better due to it being on Blu Ray. I have a 5.1 setup, so the Atmos is decoded by my receiver. Still sounds pretty good by my ear, perhaps brighter than the 5.1. I'll mess with the speaker settings on the Blu Ray to see what that does.

I have the SACD and now this. I've always loved the 5.1 mix, but have never heard the quad for comparison. This 5.1 still sounds great, perhaps better due to it being on Blu Ray. I have a 5.1 setup, so the Atmos is decoded by my receiver. Still sounds pretty good by my ear, perhaps brighter than the 5.1. I'll mess with the speaker settings on the Blu Ray to see what that does.
The 2003 SACD mix and the same mix on Blu Ray have no reason to sound any different unless something was screwed up on the transfer to Blu Ray.

However it isn't clear whether you are listening to the 2003 5.1 mix, or the 2023 Atmos mix. They're two different mixes on the Blu Ray even if played on a 5.1 system.

The 2003 SACD mix and the same mix on Blu Ray have no reason to sound any different unless something was screwed up on the transfer to Blu Ray.

However it isn't clear whether you are listening to the 2003 5.1 mix, or the 2023 Atmos mix. They're two different mixes on the Blu Ray even if played on a 5.1 system.
I haven't listened to my SACD in at least a year, maybe two. If there's a difference, then I assume it would be in bitrate or something that my middle aged ears are unlikely to hear.

The Atmos mix is definitely different, but I'm not getting the full pleasure of an Atmos mix since my speakers are set for 5.1. So my receiver is just consolidating the speakers, which makes the Atmos mixes louder than the 5.1 mixes for some reason. That may be why the Atmos mix to me sounds brighter than the 5.1 mix-- it is simply louder.

It's such a gloriously produced album by Parsons. It sounds just as good 50 years later as it ever did.

It was screwed up on the 50th box set Blu-ray. Not yet confirmed one way or the other on this standalone.
It's such a gloriously produced album by Parsons.
He did not produce Dark Side. He was an engineer on the record, but not the producer.
Assuming its this release we’re talking about, it’s still available, on Apple Music, and in 24/44.1
I don't understand why Apple aren't offering lossless downloads at this point. The infrastructure is there, and they wouldn't lose subscribers by doing it.

Does anyone know what the new cover supposed to represent? At first I thought the dots in the background were some kind of 3D effect to be seen with red and blue glasses,.but no...

He did not produce Dark Side. He was an engineer on the record, but not the producer.
Not officially - the band produced themselves. But considering how much input he had into the album's sonic fingerprint, including contributions like the clocks on "Time" and suggesting Clare Torry, I think he's right to say that he was pretty much acting as an uncredited co-producer.

Back