Nick Cave - remastered, expanded and 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of the guys from the UK on the Hoffman forums have them. No comments on surround mix yet but one (Billy Bird) did confirm DD 5.1, DTS 5.1, and LPCM 24/48. Looking forward to hearing impressions.

I think we're looking at May 19th now for the North American release.

I picked up "Your Funeral" in my local HMV (more expensive than Amazon but at least the digipack won't get screwed up in the post).

First impressions: after the first couple of tracks I was wondering where the use of the rear surrounds was as the only sounds seemed to be ambiance from the instruments spread across the front speakers. However, later tracks use the rears for extending the sound stage with acoustic guitars coming from all the speakers so it looks as though these are discrete surround mixes. I guess the best description of the mix is "subtle".

I've never been familiar with Nick Cave's albums so it's difficult to judge the music on just a quick listen but I was reminded of Jim Morrison's more "poetic" efforts coupled with Scott Walker and Tom Waits - not stuff to get a party going.

The only real problem I've found is that the DVD contains part 4 of the documentary on the making of these albums which is fine as it covers this particular album but there doesn't seem to be any identification of the talking heads at the beginning (or during). So if, like me, you're unfamiliar with the band and producers any reference to individuals' roles can't be matched to the faces. Maybe all is clear if you see part 1.

I've bought Your Funeral... My Trail and Kicking against the Pricks a couple of days ago and I have to agree with mattB2, the surround mix is rather subtle. Jack's Shadow on YFMT may be the most agressive mix on that album and made me wish, the rest would more sound like that. But they're not bad and some may find it fits the music. At least it's DTS 96/24 after Mute seems to have given up on SACD.

The missing titles on the interviews are really annoying, but if you ff to the end of the docu, you get the names to the faces. But only the names, which is no big help if you don't know the people in the first place.

So has nobody else gotten these? Did our reviews scare you off? Or are you busy working through all the other surround productions that came out lately?

Seriously, I'm curious what others think about these editions...

Ah, that explains it. Thank you. And they were recorded in my hometown to begin with, so it seems fitting they come back here first...

Looks like I will have to go on listening to them on my own for a little while longer. ;)

I have never heard of Nick Cave or any of the groups he has been with but I love Mute Records because of the Depeche Mode surround releases. If several of his albums are released on DVD-V, 96kHz/24-Bit DTS, I am going to consider some purchases. Mute did an outstanding job with the Depeche Mode catalog and the difference between the SACD and DVD-V versions is minor, mostly inaudible to me, and means I am confident these can be very good. I am headed to Amazon to figure out if ordering anything now makes sense.

Chris

I have never heard of Nick Cave or any of the groups he has been with but I love Mute Records because of the Depeche Mode surround releases. If several of his albums are released on DVD-V, 96kHz/24-Bit DTS, I am going to consider some purchases. Mute did an outstanding job with the Depeche Mode catalog and the difference between the SACD and DVD-V versions is minor, mostly inaudible to me, and means I am confident these can be very good. I am headed to Amazon to figure out if ordering anything now makes sense.

Chris

Be sure to listen to some samples of Nick Cave first before ordering anything. Especially his first two albums (From Her To Eternity and The First Born Is Dead) are quite noisy and carry much of his punk origins. He is nothing like Depeche Mode (and neither is the surround mix). If at all, he might be compared to Leonard Cohen and Tom Waits.

Kicking Against the Pricks and Your Funeral … My Trial are more accessible and typical for him. In my opinion his strongest works will be in the next batch of re-issues, Tender Prey, The Good Son, Henry's Dream and Let Love In are all great albums and if you don't like those, Nick Cave might just not be your man.

BTW, there is one song you might know. He sang a duet with Kylie Minogue a few years ago, which was pretty successful: Where the Wild Roses Grow. A story of a serial killer and his unknowing victim in style of a beautiful love song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8srgfw7GDkM).

They are out in the U.S. I picked up Your Funeral and Kicking last week. So far I've only given them passive listens but the clarity seems to be really good. The surround mixes are (as stated before) not too adventurous but it seems to fit the music just fine. I think the price is just right for these sets ($14 at Amazon) so anyone can give them a shot.

I've gone back and forth on the included "documentaries". At first I thought they were gimmicky, extended VH1 commercials with people pontificating about how much Nick Cave influenced their lives. They are all shot full in the frame and look directly at the camera with no b-roll cutaways. This also explains why they were not identified as it would have been too distracting. However if you stick around until the end of the doc, there is a stringout where everyone gets a lower third ID. Anyway the pieces did grow on me after I became used to the language the filmmakers were going for.

I'll probably pick up the other two eventually. But I'm not in a hurry as I'm still digesting these two.

Be sure to listen to some samples of Nick Cave first before ordering anything. Especially his first two albums (From Her To Eternity and The First Born Is Dead) are quite noisy and carry much of his punk origins. He is nothing like Depeche Mode (and neither is the surround mix). If at all, he might be compared to Leonard Cohen and Tom Waits.

Kicking Against the Pricks and Your Funeral … My Trial are more accessible and typical for him. In my opinion his strongest works will be in the next batch of re-issues, Tender Prey, The Good Son, Henry's Dream and Let Love In are all great albums and if you don't like those, Nick Cave might just not be your man.

BTW, there is one song you might know. He sang a duet with Kylie Minogue a few years ago, which was pretty successful: Where the Wild Roses Grow. A story of a serial killer and his unknowing victim in style of a beautiful love song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8srgfw7GDkM).

I knew the music would be nothing like Depeche Mode. I only mentioned that Mute series of surround releases because I think the company did a great job with the albums. I did listen to brief snippets of "Kicking Against the Pricks" and was underwhelmed, of course it is just a covers album, but I might listen to some more of it before deciding one way or the other.

Chris

I received "From Her to Eternity", "The First Born is Dead" and "Your Funeral... My Trial" in the mail from Amazon yesterday. It seems I forgot to order "Kicking Against the Pricks", so I might order that once the next set of discs are released. I have only had time to listen to "From Her to Eternity" from start to finish so I will give some initial impressions. As mentioned earlier it is a very noisy album and I suspect that some people might even struggle to consider most of it music at all. Listening before buying is a must if you are unfamiliar with the music. Nick Cave's music does progress and change throughout his career so if you don't like the early stuff you should not write off the later stuff and vice versa. This album has a lot of space and minimalist music so there is not a lot to work with in terms of surround, but the mix is very appropriate and I don't really think it could have been done any better. The sound quality is top notch as well. The bonus tracks are of the same quality in terms of mix and SQ as the regular album tracks and can be accessed from a separate menu.

All round I think this is a very decent release, a no brainer if you are a fan of the album... but if you are not already familiar with this release, TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!

I will post impressions of the other albums once I have had time to listen.

I had ordered all 4 discs from Amazon and they all were "in stock" however they shipped Kicking last week and the other three just today...whatever. Kicking arrived today though and I just played through the stereo mix which does sound better than my old copy. I've just moved though and have not got the surround speakers up yet so the 5.1 will have to wait until later this week when I am out from under this mountain of boxes.

I picked up all four on Friday but had an extremely busy holiday weekend, so no chance to listen. I'm just getting my surround system back up and running for the first time in quite a while so I may even be able to spend some quality time with them tonight.

Thanks, for all those reporting about these disk's. I had all 4 on order with Amazon.ca and I'm pretty sure they won't be frequently played as I am very aware of what kind of artisit Nick Cave is and I prefer his more melodic period over the punky,blues,garage period which the first 4 are more like from reading and having heard some of the songs. With so few surround disk's available I have left my order outstanding and I got a email today from Amazon today that they are on their way. Other thing is I have the same completist problem that many others from this site have and if I'm going to get his middle period to later albums in surround might as well get them all the way through.

peter

bought "kicking against the pricks" for a start and am really pleased. mot too much surround but very good sounding record. can't wait to get the later output, especially "The Boatman's call" - definitely not a candidate for big surround action but it will benefit from the better sonics

Back