Nick Cave - remastered, expanded and 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Listened yesterday to the first album.

It's OK, I found the surround mix to be on the conservative side.
Shame it is not SACD or even DVD-Audio, but the DTS hi-rez is acceptable.

(I'm always hoping for the next release to top 'Dark Side of the Moon' - wishful thinking eh....)

Be sure to listen to some samples of Nick Cave first before ordering anything. Especially his first two albums (From Her To Eternity and The First Born Is Dead) are quite noisy and carry much of his punk origins. He is nothing like Depeche Mode (and neither is the surround mix). If at all, he might be compared to Leonard Cohen and Tom Waits.

Kicking Against the Pricks and Your Funeral … My Trial are more accessible and typical for him. In my opinion his strongest works will be in the next batch of re-issues, Tender Prey, The Good Son, Henry's Dream and Let Love In are all great albums and if you don't like those, Nick Cave might just not be your man.

BTW, there is one song you might know. He sang a duet with Kylie Minogue a few years ago, which was pretty successful: Where the Wild Roses Grow. A story of a serial killer and his unknowing victim in style of a beautiful love song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8srgfw7GDkM).

Well I finally got these and have only had a chance to listen to each one once but my initial observation of what these are about isn't far off from what I thought I would hear. I agree with wolfram's quick notes quoted, the first 2 cd's are more intense, both vocally and musically and the other 2 are bit more accessible. 'Kicking Against the Pricks' is what I owned on cd prior to getting these reissues and it is the one I like the best after initial listen. Maybe its because I know it best but I think its because Nick does more actual singing on that cd as the other 3 he is doing more of a speak/spitting out the words at you. This is by design and I found it a interesting listen but might not be everyone's cup of tea and as I like listening to stuff pretty loud maybe there should have been a warning sticker put on these-Caution if played loud might make your neighbour run for cover,women and children take note.
The Dts on these are pretty good as sound I find is excellent. There isn't much stuff going on in the rears but I wouldn't reduce marks for that as I think it suits the music that its coming at you full force from the front.
It would have been interesting to hear the difference of what these would have sounded like if given the Dvd Audio treatment but all in all a job well done on these reissues so far and that they at least put them out on DTS.

peter

Word is that the next 4 discs will come out in October:
Tender Prey
The Good Son
Henry's Dream
Let Love In

Word is that the next 4 discs will come out in October:
Tender Prey
The Good Son
Henry's Dream
Let Love In

Well, its now start of November and nothing as far as I can tell happening with these. You would think they would want to release these for Christmas time or are these not coming out any more?
If anyone has any info. please add.

peter

found this:

Tender Prey film at Leeds Film Festival

The 'Tender Prey' film from the 'Do You Love Me Like I Love You' series is to be screened at the Leeds Film Festival on 7th & 8th November at Seven Theatre and the Howard Assembly Rooms. Also to be shown are videos from Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!! and short film excerpts of Cave reading from The Death of Bunny Munro.

'Do You Love Me Like I Love You' is a series of 14 new short films by artists Iain Forsyth & Jane Pollard. The films were commissioned by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds to accompany the re-issue of the band's influential catalogue. The 40-minute films feature a compelling collage of the famous, infamous and unknown talking directly to camera about what the songs mean to them. Each re-issued album contains the accompanying short film, the album remixed in 5.1, a stereo remastered version and new sleeve notes.

The first four albums - From Her To Eternity, The Firstborn Is Dead, Kicking Against The Pricks and Your Funeral... My Trial - are out now through Mute Records. Subsequent albums including Tender Prey will be re-issued in 2010.

Watch the Tender Prey trailer & buy tickets here:

http://www.leedsfilm.com/films.aspx?id=1158

Posted: 28/10/09

found this:

The first four albums - From Her To Eternity, The Firstborn Is Dead, Kicking Against The Pricks and Your Funeral... My Trial - are out now through Mute Records. Subsequent albums including Tender Prey will be re-issued in 2010.

Posted: 28/10/09

Thanks, for that, saw someone post this at SH site as well. Hopefully they don't take to long into 2010 to release the next 4.

peter

The missing titles on the interviews are really annoying, but if you ff to the end of the docu, you get the names to the faces. But only the names, which is no big help if you don't know the people in the first place.

Sniffing around for possible news sources on a next batch today I've discovered there's a special section dedicated to the Collectors Editions over at NickCaveAndTheBadSeeds.com.

Nice. While the other half of the set is still "Coming soon", each of the first seven albums is nicely described here - including graphic "who is who" titles for the documentaries.

wow, they will re-issue even the most recent recordings! not sure how much surround they can get out of the "The Boatman's Call", though... (but what a great SACD this amazing record would have made...!)

Back