Dutton Vocalion April 2018 Surround Sound SACDs (Guess Who, Rick Derringer & The Hues Corporation)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All American Boy was a favorite of mine at 13 and 14 years old when it was a new release. It's a stylistically varied release. Subtle songs like Jump Jump Jump have worn well over the years. Not my teen years favorite but now is. Quad mix is going to be a refreshed and rekindled ordeal I can't wait.

Guess Who #10 is one of their finest sounding albums. Quad should be and I expect it to be demo quality. And i take it Road Food is not one of the fake quads the GW were victims of or so I read.

These are the most exciting releases since RTF & Santana/Coltrane. I sincerely hope sales on the pop and rock releases are a stronger than average showing so this genre direction proves to be worth it every now and again for D/V.

I also had #10 on vinyl as a new release. I actually saw the GW live in 1974. I never heard a band sound exactly like the record when playing live like they did.

Thrilled with these two. I'm ordering right away!!!!

Holy Flurking Schnit! o_O

I'm in. Oooh baby, I AM IN!

#10 has a bit of a weird mix though, Burton's keys in stereo in the left channels and Kurt & Greg's guitars each in Front Right and Back Right. Creates a bit of a lopsided mix because Burton's keys gravitate towards phantom Center Left. When playing this tape, I usually swap the rear cables so I get a guitar in opposing corners and the keyboard gets mixed similarly - reminds me of Paul Simon's "Rhymin' Simon" album, which has the keys laid out like that on a few tracks.

All American Boy has been a staple in the car for I don't know how long: Rock n' roll Hoochie-Koo, Cheap Tequila, Teenage Love Affair, Uncomplicated.... those are some GREAT crank-em-up tunes.

Shit, I still gotta get the Art Garfunkel's too. Oh I'm gonna be broke this month. :sneaky:
Man, SIX great Quads AND Fried Chicken for dinner? Best day, ever!

(And no, Road Food is NOT one of the fakies. Road Food is very typical RCA. Guitar in each back corner, backing vocals in each back corner, fronts are drums, bass, Burton and his ivories. On one very special song, Wolfman and his ladies are back center.)

Last edited:
Guess Who #10 is one of their finest sounding albums. Quad should be and I expect it to be demo quality. And i take it Road Food is not one of the fake quads the GW were victims of or so I read.

It was the Guess Who's two following albums from 1975 (Flavours and Power in the Music) along with the Artificial Paradise from 1973 that were faked. Road Food is the last "real" Guess Who quad mix, and for my money, the very best one.

Inspired by fredblue's wonderful Unsung Heroes Of Quad thread, as well as speaking to a few engineers who worked in quad, I've been working with (and encouraging) D-V to include quad remix credits where they exist, so these guys can get some of the credit that they're due, or over-due. Most of the CBS quads had credits on the jackets (but not all of them) and RCA never listed quad remix credits, so in those cases, we've used the credits on the master tape boxes, if there are any. In doing that we discovered that Road Food's quad mix was done by the band's long-time producer Jack Richardson and engineer Brian Christian, who also did the stereo mix of the album, so there's no surprise it's a good one. #10 didn't have any engineering credentials on the master tape box, unfortunately.

We also discovered that both Hues Corp. quads were mixed by Grover Helsley (who did the stereo versions as well), and the quad mix of Derringer's Spring Fever was done by Shelly Yakus and Kevin Herron, who also both worked on the stereo version.

Chiming in as part of the more than pleased crowd!!!!
WOO HOO!!!!
:LB:LB:LB:LB:LB:LB
:SG:SG:SG:SG:SG:SG
:dance:dance:dance:dance
:QQlove:QQlove:QQlove:QQlove:QQlove

I STILL have my signed "All American Boy" SQ copy and it's gonna be thrilling to hear it as Nature intended.. in DISCRETE QUAD!!!
..never heard these TGH ones, but I think I'll risk it..
And YES, I used to have "Rock the boat" on 45!!!!!

THREE CHEERS FOR DV!!!!
:smokin:smokin:smokin

A hit, Rick Derringer...done! Another hit, The Guess Who...Doner! The Hues Corporation...swing and a miss, Weather Report in surround would made this a home run for me. Not that I am complaining this is very Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! Way to go Mr. Dutton!

According to the Quadraphonic Discography, only Weather Report's Mysterious Traveller and Tail Spinning were remixed in QUAD.

Last edited:
"All American Boy" is a step closer to They Only Come Out At Night!

I ordered these new ones and a number of recent ones today!
Yes, and on the same side of the tape library it's a step closer to Still Alive and Well too. Hell I'd settle for Shock Treatment and Saints and Sinners in the short term.

Rick Derringer - All American Boy & Spring Fever [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]

9a9UWOa.jpg

TLY90Cq.jpg

The Guess Who - Road Food & #10 [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]

zwuc9vV.jpg

wACedWb.jpg

The Hues Corporation - Rockin' Soul & Love Corporation [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]

awIJgNY.jpg

dU4yFmp.jpg

Can't wait!!!

:LB:LB:LB

Regards,

WOW...!!! I see the rear outer sleeve now gives Quad remix engineer credits, even for those Quads that don't give credit on the original SQ or CD-4 record sleeves (turns out "Spring Fever" was remixed by Shelly Yakus & Kevin Herron.. and the two Hues Corporations by one Grover Helsley!) so Dutton Vocalion are not only giving us these lovely ol' Quads in top quality, they're giving nerds like me that kinda technical background info on the Quad engineering for the first time!! I better set about updating that "Quad's Unsung Heroes" QQ thread/list..!!!

Mike's reissue work over the last 20 years is with a variety of genres including classical and easy listening, but he started out his career at Morgan Studios in London. He was a tape op on Iron Maiden's self-titled first album, Black Sabbath's Never Say Die and Gary Moore's Back On The Streets, and has engineering credits on The Cure's first four albums. So suffice it to say, he probably knows the ins and outs of rock and roll sonics better than all of us combined, and I think these albums are in a safe pair of hands. ;)

Aerosmith, Poco, REO Speedwagon, Johnny Winter and Edgar Winter Group MultiCh DV SACDs, here we come..!!!

"ROCK ON..!!!!"

Aerosmith, Poco, REO Speedwagon, Johnny Winter and Edgar Winter Group MultiCh DV SACDs, here we come..!!!

"ROCK ON..!!!!"

Or, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Gary Moore and the Cure's first four albums remixed by Michael S. Dutton in 5.1.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And for all the DIVAs out there, Babs Streisand's Broadway Album remixed to 5.1 including her uber breathtaking rendition of "Somewhere!"

Last edited:
How d'you guys find out before me?
Don't nobody never tell me nuthin'.
What I gotta do -- check What's New every week?

Ordered all three.

Really look forward to hearing Hoochie Koo in full-band discrete. I've had the SQ conversion for years but don't play it much.

As for the Hues Corp albums, had those since the 70's also.
The mix of chart-topper Rock the Boat" is discrete and faithful enough, but has always sounded blah to me.
Here's hoping these dubs from the masters will breathe in new life.

Watch your step on the DV site. One misstep and it will delete your entire cart.
Had to enter all eight titles three times.

As promised, here's some of the ephemera I collected in the course of research...Derringer first:

Billboard 11/03/1973
billboard-11-03-73-derringer_ad.jpg

Cash Box 01/12/1974
Cashbox-1974-01-12-Page-2-Rock-and-Roll-Hoochie-Koo-Single-ad.jpg

Cash Box 04/27/1974
Cashbox-1974-04-27-Page-2-Teenage-Love-Affair-single-ad.jpg

billboard-12-15-73_allamericanboy.jpg

Randy Tuten Lithograph distributed to promote All American Boy (as seen in the background of news article above)

allamericanboy_randytuten_litho_1973.jpg

Billboard-1974-08-10_Derringer_w_Al_Lawrence_&_Larry_Keyes.jpg
Billboard-1974-08-10_Derringer_BETTER_PIC_FROM_JIM_REEVES_SITE.jpg

According to the Quadraphonic Discography, only Weather Report's Mysterious Traveller and Tail Spinning were remixed in QUAD.

Hopefully this stereo only Weather Report done well will pave the way for the albums with quad releases. I think only Mysterious Traveller quad had an sacd release in 2002 on Columbia and looks to be going for crazy money.

I spun my Road Food Q8 rip in anticipation of the new release earlier this afternoon. Say what you will about the content, but this is a reference quad mix.

It's done very similarly to the PPL mix: mostly static ("One Way Road To Hell" has a bit of fun panning action though), but spread out across the four channels super discretely. The rears generally have rhythm guitars split hard left & right, with isolated backing vocals and no trace of the lead vocal whatsoever.

Here's "Clap For The Wolfman" from my Q8. Absolutely cannot wait to hear this with master tape fidelity!

Wondering how popular The Guess Who remained in Canada after Randy B left. Will these be exported in bulk to Canada, does D-V meed to open Canadian offices :)

Back