Nick Cave - just announced CD/DVD 5.1 releases!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetjohnson

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds have announced the imminent release of three more re-mastered and remixed 5.1 surround sound albums.

Tender Prey, The Good Son and Henry's Dream, the band's fifth, sixth and seventh albums, will come out on the 5th April after receiving the 5.1 surround sound treatment.

The first four studio albums from the band were released in 5.1 last year and signalled the start of the group's plan to release all their studio LPs in surround sound.

Not content with the new format, the new releases will also feature acoustic tracks, live tracks and other extras. There will also be accompanying videos released for download.

....Good news that some bands still see the virtue of glorious surround!

Thanks for the great news!

It was about time, really... Now if only these would include SACDs - way to go, Mute! Anyway, will be buying the whole catalogue, a no-brainer for me.

Detailed info on the second batch of reissues is all over the place, like here. Nice 'lil promotion for 5.1 right there, too!

Last edited:
I searched but couldn't find a "Rate The Record" for any of the original re-releases in 5.1 from last year. Didn't anybody here dip their toes?
If so, are these DVD-A's? How do they sound?
Thanks in advance!

I searched but couldn't find a "Rate The Record" for any of the original re-releases in 5.1 from last year.

Hey Chiburb,
unfortunately no polls for the original batch of the re-issues yet here at QQ.

Anyway, this thread still comes kinda handy.

Me, personally, am quite happy with the mixes and sound so far and will definitely go for another 3, as I hope the overall quality is gonna ascend with every album. Sure, SACD or DVD-A would make my day completely, but I'm happy these are not Dobly Digital...;)

Hey Chiburb,
unfortunately no polls for the original batch of the re-issues yet here at QQ.

Anyway, this thread still comes kinda handy.

Me, personally, am quite happy with the mixes and sound so far and will definitely go for another 3, as I hope the overall quality is gonna ascend with every album. Sure, SACD or DVD-A would make my day completely, but I'm happy these are not Dobly Digital...;)

Thanks for the link! I'm in for Funeral and Kicking direct from Mute/insound, ordered today at $16.98 each. I'm most impressed with Mr. Cave after seeing a vid of his Mercy Seat yesterday. My first exposure to him, so very happy to find him in MC.
Thx again!

These three are (imho) just about the best ones he's done...I'll buy 'em all for sure.

I'm a fan of Nick Cave and for some weird reason I didn't get these when they first came out. Actually, I know why, because they weren't in DVD-A or SACD. But I finally decided to give them a try and boy am I glad I did. They sound great! The DTS makes the already great music sound better. I can't wait for the next batch.

Mhmm, this is kinda weird - while you can pre-order each of the three remasters for $13.99 at Amazon US, it's £17.99 (or at least 16.49) over at Amazon UK...

Re: Nick Cave - just announced 5.1 releases!
Mhmm, this is kinda weird - while you can pre-order each of the three remasters for $13.99 at Amazon US, it's £17.99 (or at least 16.49) over at Amazon UK...

I thought this is weird as well. Last go we could order the first 4 titles through amazon.ca and price was good at 12.99.
This time its showing as imports for amazon.ca and priced at 19.99.
I have ordered these 3 from amazon.com as well as the 13.99 seems to be the best price at this time.
At least they are coming out which is a good thing. Hopefully the rest of the titles come out eventually as well.

peter

Hello- I ordered from Amazon, also ($13.99!). While I do have the previous 5.1 releases, they were, I believe, from MUTE UK (EU?). I will be very happy to see the new releases be the same. We'll see. The 96/24 should be fine from any country of origin. Thanks.

Tender Prey seems to have gone up to $14.99 at Amazon. I pre-ordered all three, hopefully the price will come back down by the time it's released. Still great prices, so I can't complain.

I got shipping notice today from Amazon - hope to have them in hand early next week.

So? Anybody listened to them yet? Got Henry's Dream and Tender Prey today and find them as subtle as the first ones in the surround department. But this time I was prepared for it. Still nice editions with good bonus tracks and decent sound quality. Just ordered The Good Son.

my copies of all 3 arrived today - I'll start listening tomorrow

Okay, I listened to Tender Prey yesterday and The Good Son is just finishing up now.

The surround mixes are nice, mostly somewhat subtle as I think it should be with this style of music, nothing too dramatic. It overall just feels like your in the midst of the band playing.

The mastering is a vast improvement over the original cd's that I have - if you like these albums but were on the fence as to whether or not to pony up again for these remasters I think it's easily worth it.

Just finished my first run through Henry's Dream. Really enjoyed this one a lot. I always thought the mix on this album was a bit cluttered and dense, and the 5.1 mix really gives it a lot more breathing room.

Back