Steven Wilson Steven Wilson 2.0/5.1/Atmos mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so since your so smart oh wise one, what was the other 5.1 you are predicting,:) and yes this news deserves another :banana:?

I originally guessed "Sparkle in the Rain" by Simple Minds. Now mind you that is still purely just a guess at this point. And even if it ends up being something else, being 1-1 is better than 0-2. And even regardless of that, ANY 5.1 surround mix by Steven Wilson is a good thing and will most definitely be considered for purchase. :)

I think "Songs from the Big Chair" has moved up on the list of which SW surround mixes I am anticipating the most! (as maybe some of you might have guessed by my new avatar)

1) "Songs from the Big Chair"
2) "Drums & Wires"
3) "Relayer"
4) "War Child"

:)

Yes, I've yet to knowingly hear an SW surround mix, but I'm proper excited about Songs From The Big Chair in 5.1!

I pre ordered Songs From The Big Chair Super Deluxe Edition 4CD + 2DVD from Amazon.

Showed to be 5.1 mixed by Steven Wilson with a release date of 11/04 and that I should receive by 11/10.

This is available for pre order.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NMPSQK6/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item

Tears for Fears' biggest-selling album, Songs from the Big Chair is now available in its most spectacular format. This six disc edition of the album includes newly remastered versions of classics songs like 'Everybody Wants To Rule the World,' 'Mother's Talk,' 'Shout' and 'Head over Heels,' plus a multitude of remixes and B-sides, plus a disc of nine previously unreleased tracks and a 5.1 surround sound version of the album mixed by renowned musician and audio engineer Steven Wilson. Tears for Fears' phenomenal 10-million-selling second album marked a transition in the band's sound and catapulted them into international prominence and this set is a must for fans of the band and music in general.

Last edited:
Yes, it's that rare case of a really well prepared super deluxe edition. So hopefully if there are no errors it should contain all the various mixes and edits (and even a video programme on DVD) officially related to it, plus some previously unreleased stuff AND the 5.1 mix. I think there's a new stereo mix too on the DVD. Apparently there is on the vinyl

I pre ordered Songs From The Big Chair Super Deluxe Edition 4CD + 2DVD from Amazon.

Showed to be 5.1 mixed by Steven Wilson with a release date of 11/04 and that I should receive by 11/10.

This is available for pre order.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NMPSQK6/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item

Tears for Fears' biggest-selling album, Songs from the Big Chair is now available in its most spectacular format. This six disc edition of the album includes newly remastered versions of classics songs like 'Everybody Wants To Rule the World,' 'Mother's Talk,' 'Shout' and 'Head over Heels,' plus a multitude of remixes and B-sides, plus a disc of nine previously unreleased tracks and a 5.1 surround sound version of the album mixed by renowned musician and audio engineer Steven Wilson. Tears for Fears' phenomenal 10-million-selling second album marked a transition in the band's sound and catapulted them into international prominence and this set is a must for fans of the band and music in general.

Got an email update from Amazon today as follows:

Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below has changed, and we need to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:
Tears for Fears "Songs From The Big Chair (Super Deluxe Edition) [4CD + 2DVD]
Estimated arrival date: November 17, 2014 - November 21, 2014

From the SW facebook page

For those who enjoy my classic album remix work, while I won’t be doing much of it in 2015, there are several projects I completed over the last year or so that are still in the release pipeline, including albums by Roxy Music, XTC, King Crimson, Simple Minds Official, Jethro Tull, Steve Hackett, and Yes (official).

When work becomes less hectic I will update the list again, it has been a while.

Mine has arrived.....yieeeehaaaaaa

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I've had my first run now.
All I can say....the 5.1 mix is stellar as every past SW release.
I would have liked one or two songs more heavy, but it would not get together with the story.

Need to listen to it a few more times.

But you will all enjoy the mix. That's for sure. :)

Excerpt from an interview with Steven Wilson (http://www.digitaltrends.com/features/interview-steven-wilson-on-high-res-hand-cannot-erase/):

I know you’ve worked on the surround sound and 96/24 mixes for Yes’ Fragile, which is coming out on Blu-ray in a few months. Many people, including me, were disappointed with the surround mix that came out on DVD-Audio in 2002. What can you say about your version of it in 5.1?

Um, I think mine’s better. (both laugh) I did listen to the original mix. It’s one of those things where you listen to someone else’s work — and obviously I’m a bit snobby about other people’s surround work because I’ve done so much of it of my own — but I listened to it and I went, “What were they thinking? I just don’t understand.”

Let’s just say my mix is — well, you know how I mix now. It’s a properly immersive surround-sound mix, and it’s very, very faithful to the original in terms of using the right takes and the right drum parts, which they didn’t do on the last one. It’s very faithful, and it’s very immersive. That’s how I’ve tried to be with pretty much all of my mixes, yeah.

Since Roundabout is such an iconic track on that album, can you pinpoint the differences between the old mix and your mix? That’s the first song many people are going to gravitate toward.

My thing is trying to create something that feels like it’s all glued together. Let me explain what I mean by that. Lots of surround mixes that I haven’t liked have most things happening in the stereo, flat at the front, and then occasionally, sounds will come out of the back, but they sound very disconnected from the sounds in the front. So my approach — which is something I learned from the beginning, watching Elliot [Scheiner] work — has always been to try and create a surround picture that feels cohesive. For example, I always bring the drums and the bass a little bit out into the room. And there is a little bit coming out of the back speakers too, so it doesn’t feel like you’ve got two completely disconnected bands — one playing in the front and one playing in the back.

I think with the mix I’ve done, there’s more coming out of the back at the start, but it doesn’t feel disconnected from the band — I hope. At the end of the day, doing a surround mix, by definition, requires you to an extent to pull things slightly apart, otherwise you end up without any surround element at all. The trick for me is always trying to keep that balance between keeping the cohesion but at the same time, create a three-dimensional soundfield.

In this latest interview SW comes across with more confidence about his mixing abilities than ever before. I love it! Besides what we already know about there's bound to be more great stuff coming.

Back