Steven Wilson Richard Wright "Wet Dream" (Blu-Ray with Steven Wilson 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes coming September 29!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine arrived today, from Burning Shed.

A very first listen to this album....in Atmos

First thing that strikes me is the gentle nature of the music, which typifies Richard as a person.
LOL! Well heck! I was hoping the first thing that struck you was the amazing Atmos mix. lololol
It's fine, it's fine. I'm sure the mix is good enough. I can't wait to get my copy!

LOL! Well heck! I was hoping the first thing that struck you was the amazing Atmos mix. lololol
It's fine, it's fine. I'm sure the mix is good enough. I can't wait to get my copy!
As it's the Maestro behind the Atmos controls I automatically assume it's going to have a stellar mix.
Which it has :cool:

I know, how many times have I heard 'dont assume' as "it could make an ass of u n me " :D

As it's the Maestro behind the Atmos controls I automatically assume it's going to have a stellar mix.
Which it has :cool:

I know, how many times have I heard 'dont assume' as "it could make an ass of u n me " :D
Seriously though, I totally forget it was Wilson behind the knobs. Well then, no more to say as far as I'm concerned.

Mine arrived today, from Burning Shed.

A very first listen to this album....in Atmos

First thing that strikes me is the gentle nature of the music, which typifies Richard as a person.
How's the packaging? Something like Endless River (lift box lid) or digibook?

How's the packaging? Something like Endless River (lift box lid) or digibook?
16977334945044065920133579387120.jpg
16977335612064207270078890593668.jpg

As you can see it has its own style of packaging.

I got no message for this order but for XTC - The Big Express at Wednesday :rolleyes:. The Big Express was delivered Saturday.
Let's wait till Wet Dream will arrive as well. I've seen in my orders that it was postponed to 20.10.2023. But no information...
Today I've got the shipping information. I'll see when it arrives...

A word of warning: I recommend not putting the disc back again once you took it out. The hard plastic which holds the disc can potentially crack the disc. Happened to me with the same type of packaging for a different limited edition:
View attachment 97580
I find if you press on the centre of the plastic it releases the disc easier

Releasing the disc is not the issue, putting it back it is. The hard plastic part which holds the disc is a little bit bigger than the inner hole of the disc. If you try to put it back you have to press the disc against the plastic. Then it can happen that the disc breaks even if you do it carefully.

I've had a CD crack from the plastic bit in the centre hole being too snug before. Them Jethro Tull releases are the worst!

Here's what I do:

For discs that are too tight or otherwise have stupid packaging (e.g., treating an optical disc like vinyl with a sleeve that TOUCHES THE DISC - NOOOOOOO!), rather than replacing the disc in the original packaging and risk breakage, I'll chuck it in one of those slim "CD single" plastic cases (you can probably buy a bunch on Amazon or somewhere). Then file the slim plastic cases near the original packaging so nothing gets misplaced. Increases your storage space a bit but better than going back to a disc and finding it cracked.

Also, back up everything you buy to FLAC on multiple drives. A pair and a spare.

Releasing the disc is not the issue, putting it back it is. The hard plastic part which holds the disc is a little bit bigger than the inner hole of the disc.
Press on the center when putting it back, too.

I have only played it a couple of times, unless I know an album very well I wont mark it until i’ve listened at least 5 times to let it sink in

I bought this originally on vinyl and digitized my copy long ago. It's a pleasant enough listen but not something I feel a need to have in modern surround.

I'm really enjoying the Atmos mix (the drums & bass in particular sound really excellent and punchy), but did anyone else find they had it crank it up a bit relative to other titles?

It turns out the TrueHD stream was encoded with a DialNorm value of -26 rather than -31, so it's playing back 5 dB lower than intended. Not as bad as the Zappa or Blur discs that were encoded at -18, but still annoying.

Back