DVD-V 5.1 Albums - What's Your Latest? NO Video DVD-V, DVD-A, Blu-Ray-A or SACD's

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ohhh is the dualdisc a rare one????

I think so.. afaik it's one of the Boston test titles Jon has talked about on here before. I've had my eye on it a while, the seller kept discounting it and discounting it.. I took a bit of a risk holding out like that but got lucky and snapped it up for a tenner the other day.. ah I miss the thrill of the chase! :)

Anniversary present :banana::

Unknown-1.jpeg
View attachment 19103
War Chlld 2104 130th Anniversary Edition 2 CD/2 DVD-V
According to the back cover, it's a 2104 release.
Brought back from the future by Steven Wilson!

Just gave it a quick first listen.. rather good surround mix..

may be worth mentioning (maybe not!) this Joe Perry DualDisc seemed pretty loud at first in 5.1 but then discovered it's one of those discs with a Dial Norm flag in the Dolby Digital (+4 dB) so set my player to do the decoding instead which helped a bit.. still sounded kinda compressed though but really not unbearable, especially for the mostly rocky guitar driven material.. I'd say give this one a go guys and girls (and Snoods! ;) ) it's not half bad.

may be worth mentioning (maybe not!) this Joe Perry DualDisc seemed pretty loud at first in 5.1 but then discovered it's one of those discs with a Dial Norm flag in the Dolby Digital (+4 dB) so set my player to do the decoding instead which helped a bit.. still sounded kinda compressed though but really not unbearable, especially for the mostly rocky guitar driven material.. I'd say give this one a go guys and girls (and Snoods! ;) ) it's not half bad.

I'll have to dig mine out, but I seem to remember it not playing the 5.1 due to Region Coding

oh yeah and the Offspring DualDisc doesn't seem too bad either.. the surround mix has some neat discrete things in the rears.. it was fun revisiting some tracks I used to enjoy back in the day (when I wore low rise jeans that got roughed up at the hems from trailing all over the floor.. ahh.. I thought I was cool.. ha!) ..ok it's Dolby Digital (pah, spit.. lol!) and it's certainly not "Hi-Fi".. but if you can get beyond that it's worth a punt for the few quid it ordinarily goes for... I'm glad I took the plunge, perfect headbanging stuff for the summer! I only wish I'd got it sooner.. makes me more keen than ever to check out some more maligned old discs.. :p

I'll have to dig mine out, but I seem to remember it not playing the 5.1 due to Region Coding

ahh.. I couldn't say I'm afraid (it must be at least 15 years since I had a region locked DVD player! :yikes maybe more.. and that was a Region 1 Pioneer I imported mostly for its onboard DTS.. every machine since - and there've been a few - have either come modded or had a remote hack.. and well.. once you've had a hack you never look back! :D )

ahh.. I couldn't say I'm afraid (it must be at least 15 years since I had a region locked DVD player! :yikes maybe more.. and that was a Region 1 Pioneer I imported mostly for its onboard DTS.. every machine since - and there've been a few - have either come modded or had a remote hack.. and well.. once you've had a hack you never look back! :D )

ahh.. it was a DV-414.. recently gone to the tip (even though it still worked!) http://www.thedigitalbits.com/site_archive/reviews/dv414.html

edit: actually that one didn't go on the scrapheap! it was among a load of things I donated to charity (I thought they wouldn't be interested in amps and speakers and stuff but they were glad of it! it all worked perfectly so I guess someone's having a good time with it all..!)

I bought an unhacked Denon :violin

Straight Outta Lynwood - Weird Al Yankovic (CD + 5.1 DVD-V set).

image.jpg

image.jpg

This is the European set w/DVD (see upc in barcode at bottom right of rear inlay pic for the right catalogue info if you're interested in this one) the U.S./Candian/Australian versions do not have the album in surround afaik.

Back