Opeth - Pale Communion 5.1 (Blu-ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to hear about the sound. Haven't received it yet in NL, but will be soon I assume.
I'm from Belgium, and personally, I haven't even received a shipment (or backorder) confirmation (though I did get the order confirmation after redeeming my code). I'll be a bit more patient and start worrying sometime next week!

Has anyone in the UK received their replacement disc yet? I had an email on Friday 3rd to say it had shipped, but nothing here yet :(

My replacement arrived in today's post:cool:. It was just a disc, but was in a big box! Hopefully will get a chance to listen to later.

Got mine last week. SO happy with the way Warner handled this. I bought mine at Best Buy. Imagine trying to return it there: Explaining the phase reversal issue to the customer service person, and receiving a blank stare in return....

Received an e-mail that said it had shipped on Oct. 2nd but still haven't received anything... I've sent them an e-mail asking if they can provide more info or a tracking number.

So, is there any visual way of telling whether a disc is the corrected version or not?

K

Well, not exactly. I'm aware some people had ripped the disc and posted the wav forms. The only other way is loading the disc in a computer and looking at the date/time of the files. These would be when the authoring house compiled the disc for replication. Mine state 7/03/2014 at 2:08pm. I would assume if there's a new version, it would have a more recent date. Probably a few days after the initial consumer errors were reported.

Just got my replacement. I can't tell the difference by looking at it! (haven't played it yet!) but by comparing in a blu-ray computer drive, there are differences

Original defective copy:
2014-07-03, 17:08, 10 860 625 920 bytes, 10.1 Go

Replacement copy:
2014-09-02, 16:15, 10 744 758 272 bytes, 10.0 Go

Mine arrived in an oversized box direct from Roadrunner on saturday. Single Blue ray in a papersleeve, inside a box which would have comfortably held two fat Boy jewel cases, Must have cost a fortune in postage !!

Have to say the label print work on the replacement disc is atrocious though. Looks faded (the gold print lettering of the original looks like a dirty beige on the new disc) and is completely off center too. Looks like a rushed job (which it was), but the sound is the main thing.

Yeah, it's pretty bad indeed. But the original defective disc wasn't much better, mine was equally off center as well.

The replacement disc arrived today. I didn't find the time to listen to the whole thing yet, but listened to a few specific parts and sounds great to me now. Finally a balanced sound with powerful bass/drums.

Last edited:
My corrected disc sounds very good. The bass sounds very full too. Wish I hadn't so hastily thrown out the original disc so I could a/b it.

Mine arrived in Australia today direct from La Vergne Tennessee (in the big box). Got the shipping notice on 2nd Oct and it arrived on the 15th. Great service Warner/Roadrunner - particularly because, as I stated earlier, this was a local purchase.

My corrected disc sounds very good. The bass sounds very full too. Wish I hadn't so hastily thrown out the original disc so I could a/b it.

I did and there's an easily noticeable difference, now the 5.1 sound with the punch and balance of the stereo mix. Will try later today inverting the phase of the subwoofer to prove if there's still something (audible) with the LFE.

I did and there's an easily noticeable difference, now the 5.1 sound with the punch and balance of the stereo mix. Will try later today inverting the phase of the subwoofer to prove if there's still something (audible) with the LFE.

I don't have my corrected disk yet, but the LFE does still look inverted.

If your Front speakers are "large" then the bass cancellation only occurs acoustically in the room. But, if you have them set to "small" then the cancellation happens during bass management, which is likely much more dramatic. You may want to try it both ways.

Snippets from the Oscilloscope:

Before: .....................And After Inversion:
View attachment 16078 View attachment 16079

Hmmm

And here is the corrected disc:
Capture.JPG

The LFE is definitely still inverted on the corrected disc...... :mad:

Back