2016 Surround Release Predictions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

privateuniverse

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Is it too early to start thinking about what we have in store for 2016? My guess would be that at this point, we probably know about everything that we're going to see released in 2015 (although the eleventh hour announcement of Tusk was a most welcome surprise.) I was thinking we might want to start a list of titles that we have had some indication might appear in 2016.

Confirmed release date:
Kiama / Release date: January 18
Mike Oldfield - Discovery / Release date: January 29

Release date not yet scheduled:
Tony Banks - A Curious Feeling (reissue)
Tony Banks - The Fugitive
Tony Banks - Soundtracks
Tony Banks - Bankstatement
Jethro Tull - Stand Up
King Crimson - Beat
King Crimson - Three of a Perfect Pair
Kraftwerk - TBD (3D)
Roxy Music - Roxy Music
Tears For Fears - The Seeds of Love
Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans

From the rumor mill:
Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Welcome Back, My Friends, to the Show That Never Ends... Ladies and Gentlemen, Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Sanctuary - II
XTC - Skylarking

Can anyone else think of anything to add to the list?

Last edited:
Yes - at least Tales, plus hopefully one other. Unfortunately these seem to now be in the "might appear" category, when I was hoping they would be in the definite category.
Jethro Tull - Stand Up

I normally wait until December for this kind of thing, but hey, never too early to anticipate the good things that could come! :)

As far as Yes goes, I think "Tales from Topographic Oceans" is it for next year, and as of right now, it could be the last release in this remixed and expanded series as no other albums of theirs are up for remixing besides "Tales" due to technical or subjective issues with other albums in their catalogue.
Concerning XTC, I hope another 80s album is next in-line for remixing and reissuing, but the tape situation is so hazy right now that any release is better than none at all.
"The Seeds of Love", "Beat", "Three of a Perfect Pair", and "Roxy Music" should all be released next year too, and I hope "For Your Pleasure" is also thrown in there too.
Finally (for now), given the more brisk pace that the Jethro Tull reissue schedule has evolved to in the last two years, I predict a remixed release of "Stand Up" will happen in the Spring or Summer, followed by a remixed and expanded edition of "Songs from the Wood" in the Fall.

Also, I plan to run down my own predictions from this year in the 2015 Predictions/Wishlist thread, but I will do so at a later time in the year.

I'll definitely grab the Tears For Fears and all of the Roxy Music titles (whenever they come out). I must admit that I'm really curious as to what Audio Fidelity has in store for us in 2016. I hope 2016 is as good a year for Multichannel releases has 2015 has been.

If 2016 is anything like 2015, Audio Fidelity will surprise us beyond our wildest dreams. Is that an overstatement? If so, not by much!

Steven Wilson's promised BluRay EP early in the new year. I'll go out on a limb and bet on 5.1 :banana:

SW did mention that he would love to do Black Sabbath back catalogue.
i wish this come true in 2016

also isn't there was rumour Phil Collins solo albums ready to go?
b.t.w. he announced that he's quit his retirement and come back with new album.

also isn't there was rumour Phil Collins solo albums ready to go?
b.t.w. he announced that he's quit his retirement and come back with new album.

There were some Phil Collins albums mixed in surround sound last decade, but those mixes won't be a part of the upcoming "Take A Look At Me Now…" reissue series. It's simply the original stereo mix remastered on Disc 1 with a companion album of demos and live performances of the songs on Disc 2.

That is still p*&^ing me off about the Phil reissues. They could have done so much more with this series, but they're pretty tame. I won't be buying them.

However, that reminds me that there was talk of forthcoming Tony Banks 5.1 discs. Will add that to the above list.

Just saw the facebook post. Hard to believe it is already 3 years ago since the last album by Nosound. Time flies :)

In September Giancarlo said he kept having new ideas and that was raising the creative bar, maybe there will be enough new music he's happy with to give us a double album? That would be nice! He did say there would probably be an EP release before the album.

Edit: Anymore news on the album Giancarlo?

Back