2016 Surround Release Predictions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Careful what you wish for....in an interview with Parsons he basically defended the record companies position about "loud" mastering and thought it was necessary(n)

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat....!?!?!?!??! :yikes :violin :nuke

Hang on... don't you think if SW is doing the surround with AP, SW would push for mastering it all flat..?

Hang on... don't you think if SW is doing the surround with AP, SW would push for mastering it all flat..?

Parsons used to advocate more dynamic range...BUT he switched sides(to some degree)and now states that "the techniques used to make many modern pop records involve a lot of compression and that's what those consumers want according to the labels"

Absolutely if SW was involved it wouldn't be compressed....but when I saw that interview I kinda threw up in my mouth a little....it didn't go over very well in the audiophile community after he said it...but in his statements he does say "modern pop records"...not older recordings that we are talking about..but it came across as a cop out to the record companies...

Absolutely if SW was involved it wouldn't be compressed....but when I saw that interview I kinda threw up in my mouth a little....it didn't go over very well in the audiophile community after he said it...but in his statements he does say "modern pop records"...not older recordings that we are talking about..but it came across as a cop out to the record companies...

Oh for all that modern pop crap they can compress the hell out of it, I don't care I won't be listening to any of it.

New Jersey Prog Band JOLLY has their new album 'Family' due for release some time next year. Video just released. Band is also crowdfunding via Patreon as well. Guys are very talented. They opened for Riverside a couple years back and just come back from this year's Cruise to the Edge. Their 2CD set 'The Audio Guide to Happiness' is brilliant. Love their disclaimers too - album contains binaural tones. Music designed to make you happy - headphones required lol.

https://www.patreon.com/jollyband?ty=c

[video=youtube;gfSCIIL-zTI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfSCIIL-zTI[/video]

New Jersey Prog Band JOLLY has their new album 'Family' due for release some time next year. Video just released. Band is also crowdfunding via Patreon as well. Guys are very talented. They opened for Riverside a couple years back and just come back from this year's Cruise to the Edge. Their 2CD set 'The Audio Guide to Happiness' is brilliant. Love their disclaimers too - album contains binaural tones. Music designed to make you happy - headphones required lol.

https://www.patreon.com/jollyband?ty=c

[video=youtube;gfSCIIL-zTI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfSCIIL-zTI[/video]

I really like that...nice.

Wasn't Blackfield IV in 5.1, because I do recall extracting Hi-Res Audio from the DVD.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Yes, IV was released with a 5.1 surround mix on DVD-A, so let's hope they continue the trend with V! (Although this time I at least hope that Aviv was able to write better material. So much of IV was a completely let down compared to the previous albums.)

Big Big Train "Stone and Steel"

From the band's Facebook page FAQ:

"This will be a Blu-Ray and high-definition download release. It will consist of live-in-the studio performances of a number of songs plus some documentary footage and film of four live songs from the Kings Place gigs. Bonus material will be available online and may include interviews and drum-cam footage. Release date is March 7th 2016."

Some more info on the Steven Wilson release "4 1/2"

4 ½ will be released by Kscope on CD, 180 gram vinyl, and blu-ray, with all formats housed in a beautiful die-cut sleeve photographed by Lasse Hoile and designed by Carl Glover. The blu-ray (audio only) edition includes high res stereo, a 5.1 mix of the album, and a bonus 5.1 mix of the new version of Lazarus (recently included on the Transience vinyl compilation). The vinyl edition will include a download code for the album in a choice of FLAC or mp3. The album will also be available digitally on 22nd January from iTunes, Amazon, Google Play & Apple Music.

(Taken from Steven's "Headphone Dust" site: http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/new-steven-wilson-album-4-½-coming-in-january-2016/ )

Since we are basically all finished with surround releases for the year, I'm now going to sum up a few predictions/wishes of mine for 2016:

1) JETHRO TULL - Based on a recent report, it looks like we can definitely expect surround mixes of both "Stand Up" and "Songs from the Wood" next year along with a cheaper reissue of "Aqualung". There's a lot of good stuff to look forward to where Jethro Tull are concerned, that's for sure!
2) KING CRIMSON - I would love (and expect) nothing more from them if they could just finally release the new stereo and surround remixes for "Beat" and "Three of a Perfect Pair" next year. I'm imagining (and hoping for) a big box like the 70s and THRAK boxes that will be a summation of the entire 80s period for King Crimson. That would be fantastic!
3) YES - "Tales from Topographic Oceans", anyone?! Apart from that album, I don't have much hope that the stellar definitive reissue series will continue on at this point.
4) XTC - Andy Partridge has been a lot more quiet on Twitter these days than he has been in the past, so he hasn't dropped any specific hints as to what the next 5.1 reissue will be, but I can imagine we will get at least another one this coming year.
5) GENTLE GIANT - There's certainly a willingness on the part of the band and Steven Wilson to continue remixing some of these classic albums, so given the missing tapes for "In A Glass House", I'll predict that the next remix will either be "Three Friends" or "Free Hand" (hopefully the former)
6) TEARS FOR FEARS - The window has closed for this year, but hopefully there are still plans to reissue "The Seeds of Love" with new stereo and surround mixes, so I hope this coming year will be the year!
7) SIMPLE MINDS - Like the reissues of "Sparkle in the Rain" and "Once Upon A Time" this year, I predict that we will also see a similar reissue on DVD-A/V and Blu-Ray Audio for "New Gold Dream" in the coming year.
8) FLEETWOOD MAC - Now that "Tusk" is finally out in surround, I think a similar deluxe edition box for the 1975 album ("Fleetwood Mac") could be released at some point too, with the unreleased surround mix included hopefully!

And finally…
9) ROXY MUSIC - Where oh where are those reissues, Universal?! I'm already sick to death waiting for them, so please let 2016 finally be the year that we get to hear "Roxy Music" and hopefully more in surround!

There's more that can probably be wished for and speculated about, but that I think this will do for now! :)

And a couple other remixes I'm still expecting for hopefully next year (which both happen to be long overdue) are the debut album from The Pineapple Thief being Abducted at Birth, which was the album title Bruce Soord wanted to use originally over the former Abducting the Unicorn...

And the other remix which has previously been released on vinyl due to come to CD soon with a bonus track in fact - Tick Tock by Gazpacho. What is taking Kscope so long in getting these released?! Sure Bruce just had a new solo album released and Gazpacho's latest offering in Molok too is brilliant. Already Bruce has announced plans for a new TPT record and still nothing regarding AaB. On top of that though, I finally managed to get a baby photo of myself with my mother which may possibly be included on the reissue after asking Bruce whether there was still time - and much to my luck... ?

And a couple other remixes I'm still expecting for hopefully next year (which both happen to be long overdue) are the debut album from The Pineapple Thief being Abducted at Birth, which was the album title Bruce Soord wanted to use originally over the former Abducting the Unicorn...

And the other remix which has previously been released on vinyl due to come to CD soon with a bonus track in fact - Tick Tock by Gazpacho. What is taking Kscope so long in getting these released?! Sure Bruce just had a new solo album released and Gazpacho's latest offering in Molok too is brilliant. Already Bruce has announced plans for a new TPT record and still nothing regarding AaB. On top of that though, I finally managed to get a baby photo of myself with my mother which may possibly be included on the reissue after asking Bruce whether there was still time - and much to my luck...

Gazpacho would be welcome in 5.1!!! Bring it on...

Gazpacho would be welcome in 5.1!!! Bring it on...
Yeah I don't believe they'll be going for 5.1 sadly, but never say never as quite a number of Kscope records have been undergoing the 5.1 treatment as of late - you just never know. ?

Back