Oppo 105: HDMI Audio Setting for Analog Playback

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wavelength

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Just want to relay my experience with the HDMI Audio Setting when using the Analog Output (the 7.1ch or 5.1ch analog audio jacks). It is accessed from the Setup Menu -> Audio Format Setup. The Oppo manual (page 68) states (yes this is the part that I had ignored) that the HMDI Audio should be set to Off. I found out that is very important. HDMI Audio was set to On on my 105. I attached a small LCD monitor to the HDMI 2 output and noticed degradation of the audio output when playing discs. I switched the HDMI Audio setting to Off and the problem was fixed.

Just want to relay my experience with the HDMI Audio Setting when using the Analog Output (the 7.1ch or 5.1ch analog audio jacks). It is accessed from the Setup Menu -> Audio Format Setup. The Oppo manual (page 68) states (yes this is the part that I had ignored) that the HMDI Audio should be set to Off. I found out that is very important. HDMI Audio was set to On on my 105. I attached a small LCD monitor to the HDMI 2 output and noticed degradation of the audio output when playing discs. I switched the HDMI Audio setting to Off and the problem was fixed.

Wavelength:

I have been looking at the OPPO 105 as a replacement for my current primary blu-ray player in my home theater system which is where I also listen to my DVD-A's and SACD'S. The reviews on AMAZON regarding its audio as well as video performance are outstanding. OPPO's reputation for analogue reproduction is renowned, what I would like to hear is what your opinion is of it video performance.

Justin

I don't understand. If the HDMI output is set to off, I assume it means it isn't being used in favor of the Oppo's analog outputs. Why would you care if the output over HDMI is degraded if It isn't being used. Are you saying the output to the analog outs is degraded?

Per Oppo:

"While setting HDMI Audio to Off is generally a desired setting for customers who solely use the analogue audio outputs for audio, it will prevent the player from properly processing audio received through the HDMI inputs, as well."

For now I use strictly 2 channel analog out to my Surround Master. I'm gonna check to see if my HDMI audio is on auto or off. I use ARC(audio return channel) between the Oppo and my Samsung tv. I may have to stay with HDMI output=auto to play tv show's(from antenna) audio. Sounds like when playong a cd, turning HDMI output to off may yield the best sound quality. Am I on the right wavelength?

I turned my HDMi Audio Off. It was set to Bitstream.

The ARC still worked for tv and Pandora, so I'll leave it this way.

I also noticed that Secondary Audio was set to On, so I turned that Off(per page 68)

There is more detail and a better soundstage now. (running quad via SM).

Thanks Wavelength for pointing this out!

Take home message message for me: RTFM!

Wavelength:

I have been looking at the OPPO 105 as a replacement for my current primary blu-ray player in my home theater system which is where I also listen to my DVD-A's and SACD'S. The reviews on AMAZON regarding its audio as well as video performance are outstanding. OPPO's reputation for analogue reproduction is renowned, what I would like to hear is what your opinion is of it video performance.

Justin
The video performance between the 1:03 and the 1:05 is nothing it's the exact same video chat the difference between a 103 and the 105 is analog audio the 105 has a superior 2 Channel stereo output dac

Wavelength:

Justin

I'm not the right guy to ask about the 105 video. I play the odd blu-ray and as long as I get a picture I'm happy.

I don't understand. If the HDMI output is set to off, I assume it means it isn't being used in favor of the Oppo's analog outputs. Why would you care if the output over HDMI is degraded if It isn't being used. Are you saying the output to the analog outs is degraded?

Yes, I'm saying that the output to the Analog Outs is degraded when the HDMI Audio is not set to Off. On my system, setting the HDMI Audio to Off noticeably cleans up the output to the Analog Outs. In my case, the connection of a monitor to the HDMI 2 output is related to the issue that I am talking about. So not everyone may notice the same results as me but nevertheless, Oppo does recommend turning the HDMI Audio Off when using the audio output from the Analog Outs (page 68 of the 105 Manual) so in that sense it would seem the proper thing to do for anyone using the Analog Outs.

Back