1st Album Was Their Best - Which Are Yours?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad Linda

Staff member
A guaranteed argument starter! What artists' 1st albums do you consider their best? Here's mine:

BEST album ever:
1b27a1b9aa49d21d6b8f9d5d3aafb469bbf47031.JPG

250904102987.jpg

Coming soon in 2ch SACD:
0020ff53_medium.jpeg

mendes_serg_herbalper_101b.jpg

the_youngbloods.jpg

hendrix-experience-jimi-396-l.jpg

b_17743_Everything_But_The_Girl-Eden-1985.jpg

!!eBurl!BGM~$(KGrHqUOKpoE0VRsee(QBNQ3Bs5ifQ~~_35.JPG

New+Boots+And+Panties+NBAP.jpg

For me, Traffic's second--the one with "Feelin' Alright" and "No Time to Live"--was their best, although no denying the quality of their debut. And I can't even consider Mendes, he'd been recording for years before he assembled Brasil '66, that would be like picking Aretha's first Atlantic album as a 'first' after all she'd done at Columbia. The Doors' debut IS their best. So is Boston's debut, though DON'T LOOK BACK, while patchy, has a few brilliant tracks.
Doors.jpeg
Boston.jpg

ED :)

I would say Foreigner also qualifies. Some people may dissagree there.

I would probably prefer DOUBLE VISION, but I'm not sure, overall, that one Foreigner album is better than another, they're all kinda spotty to me.

Tori Amos? Where's Y KANT TORI READ, her first? I know we're splitting a few follicles, but that WAS her face on the cover.

Some more:

Fresh Cream.jpg
Kaleidoscope Side.jpg

I am really gonna get it for this one. But in my oppinion, it's true.

Santana_album_1969.jpg

You know, I agree with that, though there are so many fine Santana albums, just different. This one has a kinetic vibe I don't think they ever quite caught again.

Yep, lot's of great Santana albums, but there is just a certain magic and energy with that one.

I also can't wait to hear the quad of that LP

There can be no arguments about these three - other than that I'm cheating:

Mary Margaret O'Hara - Miss America
Rain Tree Crow - Rain Tree Crow
Blind Faith - Blind Faith

i hope it is not cross jump between genres but best in their respective genre?
for me it would be first Black Sabbath. i very much likes all 5 first albums but this
one with it's power and never before heard novelty, had set precedent which then
become the root of widespread genre and influenced many artists.

i hope it is not cross jump between genres but best in their respective genre?
for me it would be first Black Sabbath. i very much likes all 5 first albums but this
one with it's power and never before heard novelty, had set precedent which then
become the root of widespread genre and influenced many artists.

This is one that is hard for me to agree with. Or dissagree with. If you go by commercial success, Paranoid Trumps all. Musically, I would almost have to place them in a tie. But then again sometimes my favorite Sabbath album is Sabotage. Then again sometime my favorite is Technical Ecstasy (yeah, thats right, Technical Ecstacy)... I love the whole Ozzy era to no end. I love all those albums. Such a great library of work. But gosh, the self titled did re-defined Heavy Metal. Then again, Paranoid re-defined it again. Paranoid brought it to quad as well.

I guess I will just have to agree to agree and disagree with you...

This is one that is hard for me to agree with. Or dissagree with. If you go by commercial success, Paranoid Trumps all. Musically, I would almost have to place them in a tie. But then again sometimes my favorite Sabbath album is Sabotage. Then again sometime my favorite is Technical Ecstasy (yeah, thats right, Technical Ecstacy)... I love the whole Ozzy era to no end. I love all those albums. Such a great library of work. But gosh, the self titled did re-defined Heavy Metal. Then again, Paranoid re-defined it again. Paranoid brought it to quad as well.

I guess I will just have to agree to agree and disagree with you...
sure, but after all following albums was just expansion and development on what they have achieved in their first,
adding new ideas and elements.
for years i just love guitar riffs Iommy did on track Sabbath Bloody Sabbath starting at 3:18 and then repeating
at 4:06, never tired to hear it, so greatly and harmonically embedded in musical and thematical structure of the song.
as for Paranoid in quad - as much as i like to hear all 5 in surround, so much i don't like quad version which found to
be somewhat muddy and have very little anything to be excited about, neither sonically or in details, room for which
was offered by the twice expanded volume, comparing to stereo.

Back