2023 SURROUND RELEASES

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately, Spatial Audio Finder tells me that Gary Numan doesn't currently have any spatial mixes on Apple Music.

Edit: OK, he guests on this Atmos track:
Thanks haikubass, hopefully some in the future. Just curious has anyone made a similar finder for Amazon Music? I found some NHK 22.2ch, but it's maddening trying to specifically search content on their platform. I'm not sure the 22.2 is offered anywhere else?

Bringing this up to speed:

New 5.1 mix (plus old quad one) for Nektar - Remember the Future.

New album by Debra Lyn in 5.1 and Atmos downloadable now from IAA.

Standalone blu Dark Side of the Moon on the horizon soon.

Steven Wilson delivers in a month, fraternal blu-ray twins.

Finally, Duran Duran come up with Danse Macabre just in time for Halloween (costume #13).

Last edited:
Wow! A slightly inconvenient moment for these to appear, what with all the other items I've committed to buying over the next couple of months. (I'm tracking about a dozen orders in my spreadsheet, and I know lots of folks are way out ahead of me.) But maybe I can take some of the 200-odd dollars I'm not giving to UMe and Pete Townshend and spend them here instead.

The Hilario Duran is a sure bet: Latin Jazz Big Band with a John "Beetle" Bailey mix? Sold.

Ditto for Arturo O'Farrill: he's a prolific pianist/composer/sideman/bandleader/activist from a storied musical family (dad: composer/arranger Chico; sons: trumpeter Adam and drummer Zach); I've followed his career appreciatively ever since his early work in Carla Bley's bands in the early 80s. Bought the double CD when it came out a few years ago and I'm ready to buy it again: it's a fun, ambitious, politically committed and stylistically varied project with lots of guest stars. "Movement" music you can move to, and in dollar-per-minute terms, the biggest bargain of the bunch. Definitely check out the HBO doc and the project website. (Would love to know more about the mix/mixer!)

Ryan Ulyate? The concept sounds cool, and we know what he's capable of on his usual side of the mixing board. Of the three, it's probably the lowest priority--for me, anyway. Interesting development, though.

Last edited:
Ditto for Arturo O'Farrill: he's a prolific pianist/composer/sideman/bandleader/activist from a storied musical family (dad: composer/arranger Chico; sons: trumpeter Adam and drummer Zach); I've followed his career appreciately ever since his early work in Carla Bley's bands in the early 80s. Bought the double CD when it came out a few years ago and I'm ready to buy it again: it's a fun, ambitious, politically committed and stylistically varied project with lots of guest stars. "Movement" music you can move to, and in dollar-per-minute terms, the biggest bargain of the bunch. Definitely check out the HBO doc and the project website. (Would love to know more about the mix/mixer, though!)
It's a Jim/Ulrike Anderson mix, and more adventurous than their usual fair. There's one track where the horn parts move from speaker-to-speaker around the room '70s quad style.

It's a Jim/Ulrike Anderson mix, and more adventurous than their usual fair. There's one track where the horn parts move from speaker-to-speaker around the room '70s quad style.
Bought them both and am very impressed!

Fandango at the Wall isn't quite the bargain I thought it was (the original double-CD album had 33 tracks, while this new "Immersive Edition" is whittled down to just 10), but it still has a stellar mix that befits such a brilliant project, which combines cutting-edge works for jazz orchestra ("Latin" influenced, though not necessarily your father's--or O'Farrill's--Afro-Latin jazz) with multi-generational son jarocho from Veracruz. Plus guest stars like jazz violinist Regina Carter. And @sjcorne is right: if you're only familiar with Jim Anderson/Ulrike Schwartz's immersive mixing from albums by Patricia Barber or Jane Ira Bloom or even that Sammy Nestico big band album that came out a couple of years ago, then this will strike you as an adventurous departure from their previous work. "Big" Atmos, with full use of the overheads.

The Hilario Durán album, meanwhile, is more traditional Latin Jazz--a big band album that Durán has been waiting a long time to make. (He got his old pal Paquito D'Rivera to join the party.) It just kicks ass, and so does "Beetle" Bailey's mix. I think Bailey is one of the half-dozen most talented guys working in Atmos today.

Last edited:
Four new quad titles in the second quadio batch were revealed and added to the list.

Bruce Soord's solo album is out today and the option to purchase Atmos download was contributed via IAA.
Plus there is more available from IAA, this time Sweatson Klank's new album.

Finally, Up by R.E.M. is going to be released on blu-ray for its 25th anniversary in November.

Last edited:
Back