2L sets new audiophile standards with SACD/BD release (DSD+24/192)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dobyblue

900 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Wow what an unbelievable gift we're getting from Morten Lindberg and his record label 2L!

http://www.sa-cd.net/showthread/28253//y?page=first

2L50SABD_box_pan.jpg

Hybrid SACD:
- Stereo DSD
- MCH 5.1 DSD
- Stereo 16/44.1

Blu-Ray (dual layer):
- Stereo Linear PCM 24 BIT / 192 kHz
- MCH 5.1 Linear PCM 24 BIT / 192 kHz
- MCH 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio 24 BIT / 192 kHz
- MCH 5.1 Dolby True HD 24 BIT / 192 kHz
- MCH 5.1 DD 48kHz

Original recording made and mastered in DXD.

What's Lindberg recommend?

This is an extremely difficult question – and one of the reasons that we present all versions on this disc; to get your help with the evaluation. All resolutions are sample rate converted from the same DXD source files. Comparing them in our studio we find only subtle differences from DXD down to 192kHz and 96kHz. The obvious degeneration is from 96kHz down to 48kHz. I find DSD somewhat different in the color from DXD and 192kHz PCM; in some mysterious way it’s softer and more beautiful but slightly less detailed. In my opinion PCM encoded to DTS Master Audio and DD True HD is not degenerated from the original 192kHz. The most obvious reduction is in the 48kHz core extracted from the DTS. And the mandatory Dolby Digital 48kHz just sounds terrible, compared to the original DXD.

Please accept these as my strict personal opinions; We would highly appreciate YOUR evaluation of these resolutions and encodings.

This is the website where you can pre-order it.

http://www.2l.musiconline.no/shop/displayAlbum.asp?id=34188

It's a special price for pre-order to introduce their first Blu-ray Disc release, the same price as one CD.

In the future their Blu-ray/SACD releases will be 1.5 price of normal SACD disc.

I think right now it works out to around $37US, but the chance to compare a DXD source delivered in multi-channel DSD, 24/192 PCM, 24/192 TrueHD and 24/192 dts-ma is too good to pass up.

I'm ordering one for sure.

- MCH 5.1 Linear PCM 24 BIT / 192 kHz
- MCH 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio 24 BIT / 192 kHz
- MCH 5.1 Dolby True HD 24 BIT / 192 kHz
I understand it is for demonstration purpose, but if you have the PCM (which, I think, every BD player can handle) who would need DTS HD-MAS or Dolby Tru HD (which not every player can)?

I understand it is for demonstration purpose, but if you have the PCM (which, I think, every BD player can handle) who would need DTS HD-MAS or Dolby Tru HD (which not every player can)?

Not if there is no audible difference between handling the various lossless codecs. The one current Blu-ray player that can decode all three is the PS3, and it decodes Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA and outputs PCM over HDMI which in theory should result in the same audio quality as lossless uncompressed PCM. I am still waiting for real world tests to determine if all of this works according to theory.

Yes, every Blu-ray player can handle lossless uncompressed PCM, it is a requirement, but it appears many releases are now using either Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA and not lossless uncompressed PCM. I don't know the current score regarding the various codecs, but most Blu-ray releases use at least one of the three.

Chris

Nice pictures, but I would ask, if anyone has already received this SA-CD plus Blu Ray production? I have asked Mr. Linberg of 2L in Norway, how to get this record(s). He means by a mail, that there would be a german distributor. Now I have asked at first a little record dealer to make an order for me by this distributor (not possible for usual consumers). But he don't find the Blu Ray "record" in his PC. Then I asked a very big dealer to make the same attempt, but also this sales-clerc don't find this offer by the distributor. Now I will ask tomorrow the director, that he should import a few of this records. This shows again - distribution is again the shortage - like already by SA-Cd and DVD-Audio.

Dietrich

Have you tried ordering it directly from 2L?
They have it in stock right now.
This is not a disc I'd expect to find in stores, it's more than just specialty, it's the first of its kind.

I have asked their web-Shop, if they would deliver also with collect (because paying with Mastercard etc. is for me (us) undesirable an too unsafe). They - the owner or manager Morten Lindberg - has only mailed a tip in hinsight of the german distributor. So we must ask there to make an import for a few of this records. Altogether - again the "wellknown" immobility of the record trade and distribution.So they can't storm the sound-world. If we have whbenever this record, I can report here, how this sound. I have till now read only announces, but not , that one has heard this music and sound.

Dietrich

Divertimenti is such a fantastic release, where is the poll on this one.

Back