3D TV Is Dead

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing that frustrates those of us who were fans is that it didn't cost any extra. One of the things that kept getting reported when the manufacturers cut us off is that it wasn't a cost consideration.

And ironically, as the sets get BIGGER and with UHD 4K ....... the quality of 3D would, IMO, be even more astounding! Just akin to Hi Res Audio .... the majority of the public JUST DON'T CARE!

Perhaps that's why the iPhone/iPad screens are getting larger ...as more and more people view movies on their phones/pads and listen to those meticulously crafted Dolby Atmos soundtracks reduced to plug in ear buds on those devices. Positively ludicrous, IMO, and a real slap in the face to filmmakers and sound engineers everywhere!

Last edited:
And ironically, as the sets get BIGGER and with UHD 4K ....... the quality of 3D would, IMO, be even more astounding! Just akin to Hi Res Audio .... the majority of the public JUST DON'T CARE!

I think it's even worse than not caring: I think 3D died because a substantial subset of The Stupid People didn't understand that "3D-capable" did NOT mean "You have to watch 3D." Then there were others who didn't like 3D and were just actively annoyed that it existed because no one is allowed to like what they don't.

Yeah...I'm still really pissed about this. And pissed at LG for making a 3D set that died on me too soon. And pissed at myself for not simply spending whatever it cost to repair it rather than accepting a blatantly inferior 4k set as a warranty "replacement".

Cant they just market 3D like a stealth quad? You know no 3D label on the box so you don't scare people. Put the 3D chip in the tv and just list it as a supported format in the specs.

If only Oppo had made Tvs.....

Cant they just market 3D like a stealth quad? You know no 3D label on the box so you don't scare people. Put the 3D chip in the tv and just list it as a supported format in the specs.

If only Oppo had made Tvs.....

GET OUT OF MY HEAD! o_O

Seriously, I've had that first thought many times and was only just yesterday thinking how nice it would have been to have an Oppo monitor.

There are titles like this, notably the shorter IMAX 3D versions and older (pre-digital) 3-D titles as well. All of the vintage titles we have had a hand in are single disc releases.

Ideally the 3-D bluray format was envisioned to be just what you described, a transport system that would in some ways be invisible to the consumer. Much like the old Dolby Stereo encoded VHS hi-fi and laserdiscs, if one opted to upgrade to Surround Sound, one's library was already in place. It was the hoped by many that 3-D bluray would follow this pattern, but unfortunately it followed quad's old footsteps (in this case, the wrong one) by being dual releases. ..Why? A couple of reasons: (1) a 3-D bluray eats up more space on a disc compared to a typical 2-D bluray, and with many of today's features having a longer total running time, it was easier to make a separate 2-D disc but also with extra features (trailers, making of.. etc). (2) The obvious one.. Money.. Sell a special edition 3-D version and charge more. And then lock out 2-D playback on the 3-D disc on standard gear, as a 2-D version was provided in the "deluxe" packaging and most importantly, this keeps the buyer from keeping the 3-D disc and quickly selling off the 2-D version, or vise versa. (3) With almost all of the vintage (pre-digital) 3-D titles, the 2-D version was virtually identical to the 3-D version, with the 2-D version simply being either the 35mm left eye side or the 35mm right eye side of a stereoscopic feature. Many of today's 3-D titles use "floating 3-D windows", or different grading, or sometimes added efx that are different than the 2-D version. That also requires a separate encode.

I have no actual statistics at hand, but I would venture a guess that physical discs in general, including BD~V and UHD 4K are hardly selling in appreciable quantities. 4K has been with us for a few years and not only are the titles, including CURRENT ones, UPSCALED [NOT NATIVE] but the titles themselves are hardly A~list ones at that....[note: UHD 4K titles Bohemian Rhapsody and A Star Is Born are both UPSCALED]

4K TVs, OTOH are selling like hotcakes as the prices plummet at the Costcos and Best Buys of the world .... the screens are getting bigger .... but unless the majority of purchasers are ALL streaming 4K from Netflix, Amazon, Apple, VUDU, etc, the UHD 4K physical discs are trickling out of the studios at a veritable snail's pace.

So something had to be sacrificed ...... and 3D was obviously IT!

And the real kick in the pants: NEW 480p DVDs continue to be churned out and they're obviously still selling well and are sometimes priced MORE than their BD~V counterparts. Go Figure! I can only imagine how many households still have NOT upgraded to BD players [❓❓❓]

Last edited:
You watch........in the great race of cell phone upgraditis someone is going to offer a 3D screen on their model.....so in addition to squinting at a 4K movie on your cell phone you can look at 3D pictures too.

Woudnt it be funny if Oppo China introduces a 3D cellphone.

If, for some inexplicable reason, you don't have this awesome 3D remaster in your video collection.....Amazon is now blowing it out for $8.27. On my OLED TV it's AMAZING!

91wEvF0tbGL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
God dammit Ralphie... I just ordered this too.... Cant complain about the price, but its all adding up......

The price of a Whopper w/cheese and a small fries .... stop bitchin' jefe ......long after the Whopper/fries are vapor💩ware ... you'll still have that Jurassic Park 3D experience! Grrrrrrrr...was that your tummy growling or T REX comin' at ya?

Last edited:
Back