SPOTLIGHT 6 Vocalion Surround SACD Releases - Argent, Blood, Sweat & Tears, BW Stevenson, Guess Who, Buddy Miles & Santana, Don Sebesky (Dec 2019)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don Sebesky has a tidbit.... does that mean it is sourced from a commercial quad reel?

N.B. This reissue includes both the original stereo and discrete quadraphonic mixes. Additionally, the SACD multi-channel layer includes the original SQ-decoded quadraphonic mix [tracks 8-14]. The original discrete quadraphonic master no longer exists; therefore,the best available discrete quadraphonic sources have been used.

Just saw this.. and.... a few minutes later...... my order is in!! Guess who, B S &T and BW..The Calabasas album has one of my fav cd 4 mixes on "We had it all". Beautiful acoustic guitar going to the rear travelling from left to right..I would have spent big bucks on the "My Maria" Canadian Q8 , but hardly ever saw it come up on ebay. I did find the "New city" SQ quad vinyl in a stack of records from an antique shop a while back and I really like the quad mix. Excited to hear it in discrete quad now. I thought I had the "Mirror image" disc also, but can't seem to find it. I just looked through all of my quad vinyl and cant believe how many titles have been released on modern formats. Man, I dont even have these discs yet, but am eagerly anticipating "whats next"..

tbh i had a flu jab last night which has really knocked me for six and feel like crap 🤪 but i'm totally thrilled about these new releases!! cannot WAIT!!! 🤯

A cure for what's ailing you, Adam. Can't believe the Argent is actually three discs [1 QUAD, 2 Stereo]....and those BS&Ts .......whew! And REALLY jazzed about the Don Sebesky GIANT BOX!

6 New Vocalion Surround Sound SACDs.png

Last edited:
Don Sebesky has a tidbit.... does that mean it is sourced from a commercial quad reel?

N.B. This reissue includes both the original stereo and discrete quadraphonic mixes. Additionally, the SACD multi-channel layer includes the original SQ-decoded quadraphonic mix [tracks 8-14]. The original discrete quadraphonic master no longer exists; therefore,the best available discrete quadraphonic sources have been used.

i guess it could be a Quad Reel (pretty scarce if so!) or possibly like the Sextant situation, where some speculated a dub or Q8 replication master may have been used?

either way i'm looking forward to it because i only ever had the SQ LPs, with all their limitations will be no doubt exceeded by the new SACD 🥰

... and still i note there's not the usual update to the blurb at the top of the DV site when a new batch lands.. 🧐

could there be even more!! 🤔

please Sir Dutton, we want some more!! 😻

don't be gruel to our hearts that are true, slap some extra quad porridge in our bowls! we're ready brek, willing and able!!!! 🤣

ah well, that's it for now i guess, the DV website and their Facebook have been updated! what a fabulous bumper batch for the end of the year! 🎉🥳🥰🤯🇬🇧

Our continuing journey through the archives of the CBS, RCA and CTI imprints has yielded a further batch of gems, which we present in both their original stereo and quadraphonic mixes. The heavy rock grooves of Rod Argent, the Buddy Miles-Carlos Santana alliance and The Guess Who are complemented by the sophisticated jazz-fusion of arranger Don Sebesky, and of the collective powerhouse that is Blood, Sweat & Tears. In contrast, singer-songwriter B.W. Stevenson’s music constitutes something rather more introspective yet equally compelling.

thank you HMS Dutton Vocalion and all who sail with you!!

🤪🌈 🎄

ah well, that's it for now i guess, the DV website and their Facebook have been updated! what a fabulous bumper batch for the end of the year! 🎉🥳🥰🤯🇬🇧

Our continuing journey through the archives of the CBS, RCA and CTI imprints has yielded a further batch of gems, which we present in both their original stereo and quadraphonic mixes. The heavy rock grooves of Rod Argent, the Buddy Miles-Carlos Santana alliance and The Guess Who are complemented by the sophisticated jazz-fusion of arranger Don Sebesky, and of the collective powerhouse that is Blood, Sweat & Tears. In contrast, singer-songwriter B.W. Stevenson’s music constitutes something rather more introspective yet equally compelling.

thank you HMS Dutton Vocalion and all who sail with you!!

🤪🌈 🎄

Adam, heretofore, the HMS Dutton Vocalion and its crew will be known in QQ Circles as

See the source image

Looking forward to the Argent... all I've heard is a poor quality Q8 conversion, so I think this D-V release will make some great tunes sound even better! I've just ordered 7 SACDs of Quad for $150, I have no idea what most of it is, but I'm so happy, lol!

from comparing notes with sjcorne and other Quad enthusiasts, it would seem pretty much all Q8 tapes of In Deep are crappy (poorly replicated back in the day?) and its an unusual mix anyway which SQ doesn't do justice, so it will be wonderful to hear it discrete in decent sound quality at last!! 😃

DV gave Rock n Roll in Quad to you!
put it in the 4 earholes of everyone!

🤣

Last edited:
I just paced my order for the six December '19 titles and the Elgar: The Spanish Lady/Organ Sonata mch SACD and for £3 additional having it shipped by Priority Mail [or else it takes up to 5 weeks].

If one does the math, those 6 December titles are the equivalent of 13 LPs!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I'm guessing that the preparation for the Argent disc and this post by @steelydave from a year and change ago are related: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ic-tour-of-the-uk-november-december-74.25231/. It also suggests to me they looked for quad mixes of the others and couldn't find them.

According to the Quadraphonic Discography only IN DEEP was released as a SQ LP and Q8

ARGENT -
* In Deep. Epic EQ-32195 (SQ), EAQ-32195 (Q8), Epic Q-65475 (SQ)
[UK], Epic 18SQ-32195 (Q8) [Canada]

I'm not familiar with many of these. Guess Who is a no brainer for me. And it's funny that the song Please Come To Boston was an obsession of mine a few weeks back. I didn't even know who sang it originally until I hit YouTube. And there it is. BS&T looks promising and Carlo Santana is hard to pass up.

Back