A word about the King Crimson DVD-A's that are about to come out

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Sir!
I will order these 3 next month, when they are all released. I won't be able to listen to surround most of October because we will move to another house.
You might be preaching to the choir here ;):worthy;)

BTW I admit downloading "The 21st century guide to King Crimson vol.1" (only the studio discs) to help me decide which reissues to get. Turns out that, based on that selection, I will probably be interested in most of them.

You guys are great. I'm not asking you all to "run out and buy theses". I just want to be sure that if some jerk-off goes and puts these out there for downloading, the jerk-off is not one of us :)D), and that none of us downloads the crap. If I see it out there in the "usual places", I will not be a happy camper.

I'll be buying most of these from either Burning Shed or Amazon. I've only owned a couple of these over the years and some of those were scratched-up LPs. I'll be putting my money where my ears are.

Orders for the first three are in with Burning shed (as much because of the customer service as the price which is competative). Cant wait for the rest.

I have been known to down load stuff but only when its not commercailly available, If it becomes available I will generally buy it.

I'm now inspired to also preorder Lizard and be 3 for 3. I would admonish anyone that posts these as downloads; we MUST support this and other releases as they emerge.

Nothing irks me more than to see a commercially available surround release illegally downloadable in the "usual places". If you are a surround fanatic and illegally dowload stuff that can be purchased, you are shooting yourself in the foot. The more people who take the low road, the more likely there will be nothing left to steal in the future. This especially applies to surround music, the market for which is severely limited to begin with.

Yes, I will be buying every King Crimson released in 5.1. I tremble with anticipation.:sun

My pre-order is already awaiting shipping :)

However, MLP files are usually watermarked, so how could there be "rips" of the KC DVD-A's ? It would play only silence for the high-rez tracks. Maybe you meant rips of the DVD-V portion (VIDEO_TS folder).

Totally agree with Jon's point. I've already pre-orderd the first three and can't wait for 'Lark's Tongues in Aspic' and 'Starless and Bible Black.' I bought these when first released and they have been favourites ever since, so it's not the format that has brought me to King Crimson.

That happened with Porcupine Tree who I had never heard of before DVD-Audio. Just think what I would have missed if PT were only available in Stereo!! I'm seeing PT in 3 weeks, followed the next day by one off 5.1 artists Dream Theater. Hope I can still hear by the Sunday!

Come to think of it London is being treated to the best artists in October with ZZ Top and Fleetwood Mac within two days of each other at Wembley, and then Deep Purple turn up two weeks after that. Who would have thought in the 70's that these fantastic bands would still be firing on all cylinders?! And all have given us superb surround albums.

I pre-ordered Red from Overstock.com since I had a credit there. Hope I get the right Red! It didn't say DVD-A, but the release date and UPC seems correct.

Rick

Come to think of it London is being treated to the best artists in October with ZZ Top and Fleetwood Mac within two days of each other at Wembley, and then Deep Purple turn up two weeks after that.

You're not looking at a 30 year old newspaper, are you? All those guys are still alive AND playing?

You're not looking at a 30 year old newspaper, are you? All those guys are still alive AND playing?

Maybe 3D holographic projections have finally been perfected. I will let you know if I think they were live or 30 year old performances digitally re-mastered!!

I've got all three pre-ordered, 2 of them will be totally new to me.

Same here. I was impressed by ITCOTCK when it first came out (I've been a real sucker for anything with melotron on it since I first heard Strawberry Fields Forever back in 1967). Red and Lizard will be new to me (I may have heard them years ago but being 58, I'm not sure :smokin ).

Having bought about 30 Quad LPs in the mid to late 1970s, I was really bummed out when Quad had the rug pulled out from under it. Now that DVD-A and SACD releases are down to a trickle it feels like deja vu.

I agree with Jon that we should support every Hi-Res Surround release we like. Sales is the only thing that makes an impression on the record companies. Our purchases may keep the trickle of releases continuing but downloading unauthorized versions of released surround material will not.

My advice: buy all the Hi-Res surround that you know you like or think you might like, on SACD, DVD-A, or Blu-Ray. Even if these formats die, you'll still have a great surround library to listen to. :sun

Last edited:
I cannot imagine downloading commercially available surround sound music. Besides, my personality is such that I want the physical discs and liners anyway. If we have any hope of encouraging other artists to take the path of most resistance and mix in surround, we MUST support the artists/labels who have put out well mastered/well mixed surround already. There simply is no excuse to do otherwise.

Having said that, I'm not sure what I'm going to do about King Crimson. I do remember hearing audio samples of several of the albums throughout the band's history many months ago and I think I remember not being sure I'd like the music, especially from the more recent albums. I think I may start with ITCOTCK first and go from there. Being a Yes and Genesis nut, I would think I'd like their earlier albums...but perhaps I am misunderstanding KC's musical style. However, I must also say that this surround music hobby has GREATLY expanded my musical tastes and appreciation even from one month to the next so I need to listen to these samples again. Don't get me wrong, I want to like and justify buying ALL of these releases knowing Steven Wilson did the mixing!

My advice: buy all the Hi-Res surround that you know you like or think you might like, on SACD, DVD-A, or Blu-Ray. Even if these formats die, you'll still have a great surround library to listen to. :sun

You have no idea how much money this (wonderful, but expensive) philosophy has cost me over the past few years since I started collecting surround sound. ;) Actually, on second thought I think everyone on this forum probably has the EXACT idea of how much money I am talking about. ;) :D

I look forward to everyone's reviews!
Josh

All 3 ordered from Burning Shed here too including the ITCOTCK deluxe set . The only downloads I get are the likes of the PT track ' Meantime ' from BS themselves . It was an unused track from the In Absentia sessions ( deemed too cheerful for that album :) )

Agree with OP . Our hi-rez purchases can still turn the heads at record companies if we persevere . Maybe we could even convince them of hi-rez STEREO future too ??

~M~

Pathetic as it may be, I've only listened to one King Crimson album ever (and I had borrowed it), but I decided to go ahead and order the CD/DVDA release of Red to try it out. I fully agree that titles that are available should be purchased (rather than downloaded) so that these surround titles continue to be pursued by labels and artists.

Looking forward to my first real KC experience :)

Cheers, GabeL

Pathetic as it may be, I've only listened to one King Crimson album ever (and I had borrowed it), but I decided to go ahead and order the CD/DVDA release of Red to try it out. I fully agree that titles that are available should be purchased (rather than downloaded) so that these surround titles continue to be pursued by labels and artists.

Looking forward to my first real KC experience :)

Cheers, GabeL

Gabe,

I have to admit that I too, had never owned or listened to a King Crimson LP. (Well, I actually owned the ITCOTKK MFSL LP but never played it - it was an MFSL thing) However, after hearing, well, I can't say anything yet, but I believe that many folks who listen to these DVD-A's, especially the ITCOTKK disc, will be very happy they went for them. I'll be able to say more in a few week. Sorry to be so brief, but I have to abide by the rules I agreed to! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back