A word about the King Crimson DVD-A's that are about to come out

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gabe,

I have to admit that I too, had never owned or listened to a King Crimson LP. (Well, I actually owned the ITCOTKK MFSL LP but never played it - it was an MFSL thing) However, after hearing, well, I can't say anything yet, but I believe that many folks who listen to these DVD-A's, especially the ITCOTKK disc, will be very happy they went for them. I'll be able to say more in a few week. Sorry to be so brief, but I have to abide by the rules I agreed to! ;)

(y)
October 5th is the, er, RED letter day.
(sorry)

Boy there really isn't anything as bad as waiting for a release once one's appetite has been teased so much :mad:@:

Gabe,

I have to admit that I too, had never owned or listened to a King Crimson LP. (Well, I actually owned the ITCOTKK MFSL LP but never played it - it was an MFSL thing) However, after hearing, well, I can't say anything yet, but I believe that many folks who listen to these DVD-A's, especially the ITCOTKK disc, will be very happy they went for them. I'll be able to say more in a few week. Sorry to be so brief, but I have to abide by the rules I agreed to! ;)

Given the mouth-watering teases, I went ahead and also ordered the ITCOTKK cd/dvda. Looks like October will be a great month, now all I've gotta do is order the Pixies Minotaur box.

..... Being a Yes and Genesis nut, I would think I'd like their earlier albums...but perhaps I am misunderstanding KC's musical style.....

I understand Prog fans that come from the "Major Chord" camp (Yes, Genesis, etc.) and can't get into KC.
I know cause I experienced it myself.
Stereo Warehouse in San Juan. 1981. The person who played the LPs for you so you could listen to them before buying them(very smart of them) was the legendary "El Flaco" (the skinny guy), and after a while he'd know you and play you new stuff.
He knew I liked Yes and Genesis, so he played "something that you will surely like": it was "Discipline" and I remember he played Side B, "Thela Hun Ginjeet".
Guess what, I hated it!
And it was one of the most approachable KC LPs.
I really don't know how I came around to liking them but it didn't take too long. Maybe I listened to some earlier stuff (LTIA, SABB).
But one thing that opened my eyes is the fact that "how come these guys-who are excellent musicians like to play such noise in some songs?"
And then I understood the "Discipline"/"indiscipline" duality.
You have to learn stuff very well before you can "deconstruct" it.
I then had one of my friends, Billy Joe tell me "how can you listen to this shit?" when I played KC for him...he still hates it.
Well , I guess KC is a VERY acquired flavor-and I still get a HUGE kick when they go all left field on me (one of my favorites is "Thrakkattakk"-yes , I know there must be something wrong with me- but I do have my medication...:smokin )
And Robert Fripp is someone I love to hate but I respect him profoundly-any guitar player will know immediately if they try to play "Fracture"...:cool:

As for the thread. I will get all of the KC releases in spite of not being a big fan of the real early stuff.
And I guess I'm a bit of a freak too, cause I BUY everything that I d/l and like (Speed Racer DVD is an example-YES, THAT Speed Racer-the movie).
But I like to "preview" stuff before I sink a lot of dough on stuff, e.g., the Beatles Mono CDs=NOT getting them).

Given the mouth-watering teases, I went ahead and also ordered the ITCOTKK cd/dvda. Looks like October will be a great month, now all I've gotta do is order the Pixies Minotaur box.

One of our friends just splashed on the big one (hewanted the vinyls) so I will be borrowing the DVD's to check out the 5.1 mixes.
If they are any good at all, I shall splash on the cheaper (sic) box at $195.
Still seems cheap for 6 new 5.1 releases to me - and i hope against expectation they will be DVDA, and not DVDV - although DTS 9624 is pretty darn good.
Still think they could have done a CD/DVD box set without the BD's for under half the price and sold a heck of a lot more to boot.
Still - I will take my 5.1 as it comes, in whatever format is comes in these days

ITCOTCK is on pre-order! I'll be honest and admit that I downloaded a torrent of mp3s of their discography and I listened to the 3 albums that are now available for pre-order. I have to say that I really don't like the other 2 albums so I won't be ordering them.

But ITCOTCK I already knew for a couple of years and I'm INSANELY glad that this is coming out in 5.1! Can't wait for the lush mellotrons:)

I'll listen to the rest of the discography so that when other albums get announced in 5.1 I'll know what to buy and what not.

It may not be "fair" and legal but I ain't got the time to go to a record store, ask them for the KC backcatalogue (of which they'll probably have only 3 or 4 albums in store) and stand there for a couple of hours and just listen. The way I see it (some of you might say I'm trying to "justify my behaviour") I'm still buying at least one album now as to none if I hadn't downloaded the other albums.

For the record: for a young guy who's only 26 years old I have 41 surround sound discs; that's next to my regular CD and LP (yes you read that correctly: I have vinyl!). So all in all I think that's not too shabby considering that the heydays of 5.1 were back when I was a lot younger and didn't have internet-access or money to buy a DVD-player, etc.:)

Pathetic as it may be, I've only listened to one King Crimson album ever (and I had borrowed it), but I decided to go ahead and order the CD/DVDA release of Red to try it out. I fully agree that titles that are available should be purchased (rather than downloaded) so that these surround titles continue to be pursued by labels and artists.

Looking forward to my first real KC experience :)

Cheers, GabeL

Same thing here.

The only KC I own is ITCOTCK (on Japanese vinyl). Other than a couple of tracks from Three of Perfect Pair I am not familiar with anything else.

But I'm going to buy at least one of these re-issues, not sure which one, to try them out and support the cause.

Red on order with Burning Shed with whom I've had good experiences in the past. I will be getting everyone one of these releases. I've followed Crimson since 71 or 72 and for the most part have just the original vinyl releases except for some of the archived concert releases which are outstanding. I don't mind "double dipping" as 5.1 will make these new experiences.

I haven't seen any comments on the dvd Deja Vroom: Is there any chance this will be redone for Blu ray? I'd love to see this on hi def rather than the pretty good DTS.

ge

Seems pretty common that most everyone has had some exposure to ITCOTCK. It was 'hip' to own in it's day and there after. My real exposure to the band was the Deja Vroom DVD-V. Holy Crap these guys know how to play the hell out of their instruments. I have since added assorted KC discs that usually require the right mood to appreciate in long play. I pre-ordered all three new disc's at Amazon but canceled last night when I noticed my membership thing with Barnes & Noble brought the price $8 lower overall, even having to add Calif. Tax. The pre-order stands with B&N but I won't get these until the third is released. Patience is a virtue.

I don't ask the membership here for much, heck, I don't expect anything at all, nor do I want anything.

But now there is something I'd like to ask:

Would you all please support the upcoming releases of the King Crimson catalog by BUYING the discs if you are interested in them. I know some moron(s) will have rips of them posted somewhere "on the net" as soon as the retail copies hit the street. It makes me sick to think about this, as there are so few surround releases these days, every one should be supported by the few fans that actually care. US!

These releases are not priced outragously, and they have been produced with great quality and care. The way I figure it, should these sell well then someone has to notice, which might get the Rush 5.1 titles released, and who knows after that.

If, however, the core market for surround music simply downloads the stuff from file sharing networks and does not buy the actual discs, it does NOTHING to support surround and will only help to finally kill it from the marketplace.

I'm not asking for folks to buy these discs if they're not interested in the music, I'm asking that folks who like the music and want them to actually buy them as opposed to stealing them.

There are many fine, out of print classic quadraphonic conversions out there to download. Please don't download actual, in-print stuff. It doesn't help the cause at all.

Thanks for letting me preach. We now return you back to the regular tranquility here at QQ.

Well-written and well-thought. Taking the liberty of quoting to keep the thread on track. (y)

I am fully convinced that file sharing has a positive impact for hi-res surround, in general and at the time being. One might even see it as a struggle against mediocre artists getting terribly rich, big bad industry and a generation growing up listening to mp3 in cell phones. But this is different. Niche but very influential music, benefits flow back to the artists and an astonishing bet on quality sound. I too have decided beforehand to order everything that is released by KC on DVD-A, even the few albums I didn't fancy that much, at least while the prices are as fair as they are right now.

Add me to the list of "have never heard", but will certainly purchase these releases. SW's involvement alone endorses the plunge.
Having learned of PT here, how can I doubt you now?

Is Burning Shed the best place to order these (I have heard they charge your card immediately)?

Or is Amazon a viable alternative.

Is Burning Shed the best place to order these (I have heard they charge your card immediately)?

Or is Amazon a viable alternative.

It's actually Royal Bank of Scotland that handles the transaction.

Fwiw, I ordered Fear of a Blank Planet from Burning Shed yesterday, and received an immediate email confirmation from them and RBS. Today, I received an email from Burning Shed saying my order has shipped.

Anyway, I ordered the 3 KC combos (CD/DVD-A) from Burning Shed today.
Total, including shipping, came to $64 USD.

KC is the kind of music you either love or hate!
I, for one, loved the stuff!
(Remember the "Cheerful Insanity of Giles, Giles & Fripp?" :phones)
But then again, the prog rock thing was my thing.
(I awlways thought Triumvirat's "Spartacus" would have been awesome
in quad!)
I'll be getting the whole set as they come out but I just can't wait to hear "Court".
Hearing "I Talk To The Wind" and "Epitaph" in surround is probably going to
make me pee myself! :D

I'm planning on getting all three as they come out...but from the local guy.
The store owner is a KC fan and I figure I have no problem throwing a couple extra bucks his way to get them in stock rather than going the online route. Support Your Brick and Mortar! John S. ;)

Wow, I listen to GGF and Sparticus as well.

Did a high school English paper on 'Epitaph' and dragged a stereo into the room to play it and discuss it. While I spoke, PFM - Old Rain played in the background. Then on my timed finish, it cut over to ELP - WBMFTTSTNE where Greg Lake quotes a couple of verses of 'Epitaph'......maybe the only time I got an A+

Am I missing something? I am not aware of any way to download 5.1 DVD-A tracks and author them to a DVD disc. I suppose the stereo could be ripped (not that easily I don't think) and posted as 24/96 files but I don't think there is an easy way to do the 5.1? DTS can be downloaded.

Be that as it may, I buy these discs precisely because I want to support a dying format......

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back